TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone tuned their baby yet?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So funny that you posted this. I JUST set up an appointment with Evolution Performance for the end of August. Stage 0 Power Package (includes dyno tune) and Ultimate Lowering Suspension Package. I may have been able to find things cheaper, but you definitely get what you pay for. Wish I could get it done today, but I'll let you know how it goes.

So funny that you posted this. I JUST set up an appointment with Evolution Performance for the end of August. Stage 0 Power Package (includes dyno tune) and Ultimate Lowering Suspension Package. I may have been able to find things cheaper, but you definitely get what you pay for. Wish I could get it done today, but I'll let you know how it goes.

BG what did EVO tell you about warranty issues??

BG what did EVO tell you about warranty issues??

Very good question. I didn't ask. Even if their mods void the warranty, I don't care. I don't feel that I'm doing anything major that would significantly risk a disaster. I will ask them, however, just out of curiosity and let you all know.

Very good question. I didn't ask. Even if their mods void the warranty, I don't care. I don't feel that I'm doing anything major that would significantly risk a disaster. I will ask them, however, just out of curiosity and let you all know.

I spoke to Kurt from EVO on the phone for about 30 minutes the other day. Asked all the usual questions about voiding warranty, etc.

He was cautious, but very concise, and said that as long as the handheld tuner ALWAYS stays with the car, you can flash it back to stock any time it needs to go in. And while the "black box" will show that the computer programming was accessed to apply the new tune, it would only show "access" and not what was actually done.

I'm going to go with the EVO Stage ZERO package as soon as I can get down there. (Check it out on the site)

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?m...products_id=723

Pulley looks stock, I like that "stealth" look... And for $800, the HP gain is great, and also I'm told mileage actually increases... (If you can keep that damned right foot off the gas)

Oh, and also need to add that Kurt was pretty adamant about the fact that the upgraded Heat Exchanger was pretty much a necessity for any car spinning the blower faster that stock... Makes sense, and adds $450 to the cost, but seems reasonable that you need to keep your intake temps LOW to keep from detonating this thing... and have a look under the front end... that wimpy stock H/E for the supercharger is a joke...

Kurt was very straight forward in my conversation as well. He also recommended the heat exchanger. However, by the time you added up all the parts and labor for the Stage Zero and heat exchanger it's around $1650. Hence why I decided to go with just the tune only and then do the other stuff down the road.

I just got the Jon Lund tune from Evo. From what Mixxer told me it's the same one they used on the GB one they have. I loaded the 93 tune tonight and gave the car a spin. Right off the bat I noticed better throttle response. I personally felt like the car had a little lag prior to the tune when I pressed the throttle. It's not there anymore. As far as the seat of the pants feel. I really can't say if it feels like "more power" because it felt like a lot before. What I like is that the car just goes now when I press the pedal. I'll probably throw it on a dyno here locally at some point to see what she is putting down.

I think my next step in the Shelby heat exchanger with the dual fans.

I just got the Jon Lund tune from Evo. From what Mixxer told me it's the same one they used on the GB one they have. I loaded the 93 tune tonight and gave the car a spin. Right off the bat I noticed better throttle response. I personally felt like the car had a little lag prior to the tune when I pressed the throttle. It's not there anymore. As far as the seat of the pants feel. I really can't say if it feels like "more power" because it felt like a lot before. What I like is that the car just goes now when I press the pedal. I'll probably throw it on a dyno here locally at some point to see what she is putting down.

cAn't make up my mind as to if the Shelby heat exchanger with the fans it worth the $750 or however much more it is than the heat exchanger evolution also sells from steeda for $450.

Did EVO tell you what changes their system makes,ie more advance, hiher shift points,cooling fans etc.Sounds like they advanced the car timing.Be curious what else they do

Did EVO tell you what changes their system makes,ie more advance, hiher shift points,cooling fans etc.Sounds like they advanced the car timing.Be curious what else they do

I sent them a PM on Modular Fords. I haven't heard anything back yet. I forgot to ask.

cAn't make up my mind as to if the Shelby heat exchanger with the fans it worth the $750 or however much more it is than the heat exchanger evolution also sells from steeda for $450.

Actually the Shelby one is better for everyday driving. When the car is sitting in traffic the fans can help cool if off. Not that the Steeda one is bad either as both are better then stock.

Get that H/e in there . Glad you like it!

Mixxer,

Can you take a sec and answer Torched10's question above? I'd like to know as well as we didn't talk on the phone about what you do with the tune itself. Like for instance is the Speed Governor off by default?

Hundreds of parameters are changed in the tune. Way to many to list.Its not 1987 anymore you dont just advance timing and add fuel. Far to complicated for even me to understand. Lund has more data and has tuned more gt500 than anyone else period.

Mixxer,

Can you take a sec and answer Torched10's question above? I'd like to know as well as we didn't talk on the phone about what you do with the tune itself. Like for instance is the Speed Governor off by default?

Sorry for my ignorance, because I'm only familiar with replacing ECU and adding a chip. I'm from the turbo school. How does tuning actually work? Do we bring the car to a tuner and they tune it on site by flashing the existing chip?

Can someone explain or point me to the link or FAQ?

Thanks

Sorry for my ignorance, because I'm only familiar with replacing ECU and adding a chip. I'm from the turbo school. How does tuning actually work? Do we bring the car to a tuner and they tune it on site by flashing the existing chip?

Can someone explain or point me to the link or FAQ?

Thanks

Well there are two ways of tuning. The way I did was buy a tune that was done on another GT500. It might not put down the exactly the same numbers but should be very close. The device I bought from Evo has the tune preloaded. You plug it into the port under your steering wheel. Then it downloads the stock tune for safety. After that is complete it downloads the new tune. They also give you the option to set some of your own parameters prior to the flash.

You could also go to the shop and have a custom tune done on the dyno. It costs more since you are paying for the time. With the way they have these cars down to a science it probably isn't worthwhile until you do a lot of performance mods.

Well there are two ways of tuning. The way I did was buy a tune that was done on another GT500. It might not put down the exactly the same numbers but should be very close. The device I bought from Evo has the tune preloaded. You plug it into the port under your steering wheel. Then it downloads the stock tune for safety. After that is complete it downloads the new tune. They also give you the option to set some of your own parameters prior to the flash.

You could also go to the shop and have a custom tune done on the dyno. It costs more since you are paying for the time. With the way they have these cars down to a science it probably isn't worthwhile until you do a lot of performance mods.

THanks. Looks like I need to buy another ODBC w/ software package.

"Hundreds of parameters are changed in the tune. Way to many to list.Its not 1987 anymore you dont just advance timing and add fuel. Far to complicated for even me to understand. Lund has more data and has tuned more gt500 than anyone else period.

Come on Kent, help these guys out. You have a new customer base with the 2010 Shelby's and all they want is for you to answer a few questions. No one is expecting to understand every parameter that is changed but you can answer the following with a yes or no

----Do you change the timing

----Do you change the fuel curve

----Do you change the rev limiter

----Do you disengage the traction control

----Do you change the cooling parameters

I am not bashing Evo as I am a loyal customer having spent close to $20K with you guys but as a vendor advertising on this board you can take a little time and give some information without giving away trade secrets. Besides what takes more time answering the same questions 25 times on the phone or once on this forum?

Oh, and also need to add that Kurt was pretty adamant about the fact that the upgraded Heat Exchanger was pretty much a necessity for any car spinning the blower faster that stock... Makes sense, and adds $450 to the cost, but seems reasonable that you need to keep your intake temps LOW to keep from detonating this thing... and have a look under the front end... that wimpy stock H/E for the supercharger is a joke...

I would hold out on getting the heat exchanger given the varying schools of thought around this. Some insist that adding any power will necessitate replacing the stocker for a more efficient one. However, my now defunct GT500 had a Stage 3 Kenne Bell that lost only a minor amount of hp due to heat soak; so, my only explanation was that the exchanger was pretty damn good and replacing it would only provide minimal improvements. Unless, of course, you're planning on road racing your car and putting extreme stresses on the engine. But, in that case, you'd be replacing a few other things by default.

Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

"Hundreds of parameters are changed in the tune. Way to many to list.Its not 1987 anymore you dont just advance timing and add fuel. Far to complicated for even me to understand. Lund has more data and has tuned more gt500 than anyone else period.

Come on Kent, help these guys out. You have a new customer base with the 2010 Shelby's and all they want is for you to answer a few questions. No one is expecting to understand every parameter that is changed but you can answer the following with a yes or no

----Do you change the timing

----Do you change the fuel curve

----Do you change the rev limiter

----Do you disengage the traction control

----Do you change the cooling parameters

I am not bashing Evo as I am a loyal customer having spent close to $20K with you guys but as a vendor advertising on this board you can take a little time and give some information without giving away trade secrets. Besides what takes more time answering the same questions 25 times on the phone or once on this forum?

I'll take a stab at answering these questions. A tune on a supercharged engine, by default, will require at the minimum two things: fuel and timing...period. This isn't a secret and are the fundamentals for creating "chips" that enhance performance, and downloadable tunes (ie. via Xcalibrator or Diablosport pods). Now, most of these parameters will be applied at WOT; although there are some concessions for changing baseline "around town" matrices...but why? The difference between tuning shops - outside of whether they are scum bags or reputable outfits like Evo - will be on how exensively they test their parameter changes on the dyno for both power, realiability, and safety (ie. to prevent detonation on pump gas). For the most part, you get more power on the GT500s by adding timing and pulling fuel (you know the old mantra "lean is mean" right). Fuel is pretty tricky, because if you lean out the engine too much you can overheat quickly and blow things up fast. On the other hand, you can compensate for some of this by using race fuel with a higher octane. This will allow for cooler operating tempatures and leaner fuel ratios. Hence why it's important to dyno tune every step of the way and why tuners often offer "race" tunes (to use with race fuel). With spark (aka timing advance/retard) it's equally challenging because if you add too much, you will ping, if you retard it overzealously then you're leaving power on the table. The "secret" part to all of this is exactly how these two primary variables are manipulated; they can mean the difference between a shitty tune that makes your car run like crap and idle like a scared chihuahua; or an awakened monster. The other stuff are pretty basic flags that can be toggled on/off. For example, you can have it so that every time you turn your car on the traction control is automatically turned off. However, whether or not these are adjusted will depend on the tuner; some give the owner the option to choose.

It's important to note that many shops will always have the disclaimer around expectations of their "cookie cutter" tunes. What works for one car, will not necessarily produce the same exact results on another of the same engine, model, and year (it'll be pretty close though). This is why many shops want to discuss this with you personally because dyno tuning your own baby and creating a custom tune for YOUR car will assure you're optimizing it's potential based on how it's running.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

I'll take a stab at answering these questions. A tune on a supercharged engine, by default, will require at the minimum two things: fuel and timing...period. This isn't a secret and are the fundamentals for creating "chips" that enhance performance, and downloadable tunes (ie. via Xcalibrator or Diablosport pods). Now, most of these parameters will be applied at WOT; although there are some concessions for changing baseline "around town" matrices...but why? The difference between tuning shops - outside of whether they are scum bags or reputable outfits like Evo - will be on how exensively they test their parameter changes on the dyno for both power, realiability, and safety (ie. to prevent detonation on pump gas). For the most part, you get more power on the GT500s by adding timing and pulling fuel (you know the old mantra "lean is mean" right). Fuel is pretty tricky, because if you lean out the engine too much you can overheat quickly and blow things up fast. On the other hand, you can compensate for some of this by using race fuel with a higher octane. This will allow for cooler operating tempatures and leaner fuel ratios. Hence why it's important to dyno tune every step of the way and why tuners often offer "race" tunes (to use with race fuel). With spark (aka timing advance/retard) it's equally challenging because if you add too much, you will ping, if you retard it overzealously then you're leaving power on the table. The "secret" part to all of this is exactly how these two primary variables are manipulated; they can mean the difference between a shitty tune that makes your car run like crap and idle like a scared chihuahua; or an awakened monster. The other stuff are pretty basic flags that can be toggled on/off. For example, you can have it so that every time you turn your car on the traction control is automatically turned off. However, whether or not these are adjusted will depend on the tuner; some give the owner the option to choose.

It's important to note that many shops will always have the disclaimer around expectations of their "cookie cutter" tunes. What works for one car, will not necessarily produce the same exact results on another of the same engine, model, and year (it'll be pretty close though). This is why many shops want to discuss this with you personally because dyno tuning your own baby and creating a custom tune for YOUR car will assure you're optimizing it's potential based on how it's running.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

Thanks so much for posting this very helpful info.Ive got my choice down to the Diablo product and Evo.EVO doesnt have much info on their website about what they do,and wont reply to my posts.Diablo has alot of info.But i cant really tell whether the products from both are canned tunes,optiimzed for say 93 octane where you just plug in the box, or a series of choices I would have to make,say what fuel mixture ratioto choose,or simple ones like the ATC or fan trun-on points.The Diablo site has alot of ranges to choose,but as i said, i dont know how the box actually works.I plan to call them, but wanted a non-sales response from soneone who knows first--thanks

Archived