TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Supercharger Info

90GT

Ok guys,

I've been looking into getting a supercharger for my car when it finally comes in and I've been doing some research on the subject. At first I was a little concerned with adding boost to a non forged motor but after talking to several tuners I don't have a problem doing it.

So, what have I learned??? One, the stock block is stronger than you think. It's the pistons, rods and crank that are the weak parts. A stock OEM block reinforced with a main support system can handle in excess of 600 hp. The internals are only good for about 450 rwhp, any more than that and your living on borrowed time. A few tuners claim the internals are good for higher power levels but the average power level is about 450 rwhp. A new short block with forged internals will run you about $3500. The best kit for the money (notice I said for the money, not the ultimate) is the Saleen Intercooled setup. The base kit, which makes 4 lbs of boost, and a CAI is good for about 380 rwhp. Add a full exhaust to that and you would be darn close to 400 rwhp. That's about as far as I would push it personally. It may not sound like a whole lot compared to the GT500's but 400 rwhp is nothing to sneeze at, especially when your getting it with only 4lbs of boost. Keep up on the maintenance and keep the car in tune and it should live a long healthy life. :hyper:

If your interested in getting a supercharger for your GT, I recommend that you call around and talk to different tuners. I talked to JDM Engineering, Johnny Lightning Performance, Evolution, and Steeda. The above info is a combined break down of what I found out from talking to the different tuners.

Call Caleb at Fastlane Motorsports

http://www.fastlanemotorsports.us/UHome.asp

He says with my Comp Cams - 500 at the wheels is very safe and very fast!

Just need the $$$.

Edit - did I read something about Saleen being in a financial bind recently?

I like the style of their product, though.

4 lbs isn't going to make much though -

I'm trusting h.p. claims less and less these days.

I'd need to hear from someone with the system before buying in to any of them.

Call Caleb at Fastlane Motorsports

http://www.fastlanemotorsports.us/UHome.asp

He says with my Comp Cams - 500 at the wheels is very safe and very fast!

Just need the $$$.

Edit - did I read something about Saleen being in a financial bind recently?

I like the style of their product, though.

4 lbs isn't going to make much though -

I'm trusting h.p. claims less and less these days.

I'd need to hear from someone with the system before buying in to any of them.

Funny you posted that Ruf because I had thought about adding the cams to the supercharger. If I did that I'd have to go with the stage 2 cams as those are the ones Comp Cams advertises as being compatible with a supercharger.

As far as the HP claims I agree with you on that one. With the tune supplied by Saleen your not going to get the numbers I posted. With a custom tune you can easily make those numbers. I got that from more than one tuner so I believe it's possible. That's also backed up by an article in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords.

MMFF Saleen Blower Test

From the article:

Once the labor was completed, we hit the dyno and then the track. You may recall that in our test last month, the S281 Supercharged kicked out 390 rwhp and ran 12.50, so we had both the before numbers for this GT as well as another baseline for comparison. And the kit didn't disappoint, as Amato's Three-Valve now produced 430 hp and 398 lb-ft of torque. That's a gain of roughly 120 hp and 76 lb-ft of torque with only 3.5-4 psi of boost. Imagine how much the power will increase when the boost is doubled. But extra boost will have to wait for another day, as we wanted to get to the track and lay down some numbers.

Call Caleb about the cam selection.

He made it sound like my stage III's would work real well with a blower.

Who do you trust? .....

His Mustang put down 1012 at the wheels...? Hard to know, man.

Caveat Emptor?

Yup, he's on my list of tuners to contact. He fixed your problem which impressed me.

I just need to get my car first, I haven't even gotten my vin yet. :banghead:

No problem. Now you have time to research! I know Caleb will impress you. He and Melvin have a well-earned reputation. They make Fords go very very fast! I've seen their facility. If I had the money - they'd do my blower install - no doubt.

No problem. Now you have time to research! I know Caleb will impress you. He and Melvin have a well-earned reputation. They make Fords go very very fast! I've seen their facility. If I had the money - they'd do my blower install - no doubt.

Our ford store has installed about 4 saleen blowers on GTs and one roush blower.

The saleen does look nicer no doubt.

If your really serious about putting a saleen blower in your GT .... We have one guy who has a automatic ... who is about 440rwhp with his car.

He tried several tunes ... had done alot of addtional mods to get that type of hp.

He has bigger injectors ... and he is on his 4th tune. The tune from saleen sucks. He also put headers on the car ... and has run high 11's I believe.

If anyone wants more specific info .. pm me ... and i will get exactly what he put on his car and who did it .

dond

Our ford store has installed about 4 saleen blowers on GTs and one roush blower.

If your really serious about putting a saleen blower in your GT .... We have one guy who has a automatic ... who is about 440rwhp with his car.

He tried several tunes ... had done alot of addtional mods to get that type of hp.

He has bigger injectors ... and he is on his 4th tune. The tune from saleen sucks. He also put headers on the car ... and has run high 11's I believe.

If anyone wants more specific info .. pm me ... and i will get exactly what he put on his car and who did it .

dond

Hey cool!!! That just confirms what JDM told me. They said the base Saleen kit sucks but has huge potential. They said with a larger mass air meter, larger injectors, long tube headers and full exhaust plus a custom tune 400 plus rwhp is doable on just 4 lbs of boost. :happy feet:

dond

Hopefully we've all learned that canned tunes ain't the real deal. One nice thing about the Saleen blower is that it will hook right up to the WMS CAI. I swear by the WMS.

post-5356-1165210377_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1165210377_thumb.jpg

I have a 05 GT with the Saleen S/C and a automatic. I'm putting 420hp/390tq to the wheels, my mods are JBA shorty headers, 90mm MAF, #39 fuel injectors, 10lb pulley, 3200 stall TCI TC, and Steeda CAI. The car has been tune with Diablo by Adam with ST Motorsports.

The car is running great, last night I must have laid down about 25 to 30 of rubber, then the back end started to fishtail on me and backed out.

If you haven't heard it yet, but it's all in the tune. Mail order tunes are okay, but I didn't have any luck with them. Since going to ST Motorsports I've been happy (BTW his shop is 120 miles away one way, yes he is good).

Here's my car web site http://www.cardomain.com/ride/775867

I have a 05 GT with the Saleen S/C and a automatic. I'm putting 420hp/390tq to the wheels, my mods are JBA shorty headers, 90mm MAF, #39 fuel injectors, 10lb pulley, 3200 stall TCI TC, and Steeda CAI. The car has been tune with Diablo by Adam with ST Motorsports.

The car is running great, last night I must have laid down about 25 to 30 of rubber, then the back end started to fishtail on me and backed out.

If you haven't heard it yet, but it's all in the tune. Mail order tunes are okay, but I didn't have any luck with them. Since going to ST Motorsports I've been happy (BTW his shop is 120 miles away one way, yes he is good).

Here's my car web site http://www.cardomain.com/ride/775867

Not trying to be a smarty here but 420 rwhp with 10 lbs of boost seems low. JDM's car made 425 rwhp with only 7.5 lbs of boost with similar mods. The only difference would be they had Kooks long tube headers vs your shorty headers and the car was tuned using SCT software.

• 2 weeks later...

If you go with the Saleen blower, I'd just buy it from TeamJDM and use their tune and complete setup. It seems to work pretty good.

Take a look at the Whipple, too. Can be had for about $6000 including new GT500 fuel pump setup - sweet deal. You do have to send your pcm to Whipple for reflashing but unless you've added long tubes that tune appears to be dead on and good for ~455RWHP/430RWTQ.

If catalytic converters are of no concern to you, try the Powerhouse turbo kit. It makes crazy power at 9psi.

Archived