TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ignition coils - How much Horse power

I was reading on of the mustang magazine where they dyno tested grantelli ingition coils and they promised up to 27hp gain !! They did the test on a stock mustang gt with a CAI only. They dyno the mustang before install and after then with the car engine hot like on road conditions. Can this be true ?? oh and better gs mileage.

post-18733-1248657318_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1248657377_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1248657318_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1248657377_thumb.jpg

Well if it's B.S how can a magazine swear by it with dyno numbers!! Are you guys saying that those bastards are fibbers cause if thats the case we can put one of those coils in the editors pants and see if b@lls fry up like to hard boiled eggs. :hysterical:

Oh moderator, I messed up this topic is in the wrong section blame the zipper guy!!

The write up is in Modified Mustangs & Fords June 2009, I'm going to write them and see if they will let me dyno my car before install and after install of coils. If it doesn't come close to their numbers they will pick up the tab on the coils we all know they will be blowing me off and never get back to me. Doesn't this fall under false advertisement if you read the article they are almost swearing that it will do the numbers. Sad if it doesn't and one less magazine that will be purchased.

The write up is in Modified Mustangs & Fords June 2009, I'm going to write them and see if they will let me dyno my car before install and after install of coils. If it doesn't come close to their numbers they will pick up the tab on the coils we all know they will be blowing me off and never get back to me. Doesn't this fall under false advertisement if you read the article they are almost swearing that it will do the numbers. Sad if it doesn't and one less magazine that will be purchased.

I'm surprised that MM&FF would print something that's blatantly not true. :headscratch:

Perhaps they got duped? Maybe Granetelli slipped a new tune into their test monkey, before the 2nd pull? Or maybe Granetelli was just the high bidder for the month.

Either way, I've never heard great things about Granetelli in general. If I were to buy new coils, I'd go with the MSD pack, simply because I've always had great success with their products in the past. But I certainly wouldn't expect 30HP out of the deal. I'd only expect a stronger, more consistent spark. Good luck Racer.

Ken

I'm surprised that MM&FF would print something that's blatantly not true. :headscratch:

Perhaps they got duped? Maybe Granetelli slipped a new tune into their test monkey, before the 2nd pull? Or maybe Granetelli was just the high bidder for the month.

Either way, I've never heard great things about Granetelli in general. If I were to buy new coils, I'd go with the MSD pack, simply because I've always had great success with their products in the past. But I certainly wouldn't expect 30HP out of the deal. I'd only expect a stronger, more consistent spark. Good luck Racer.

Ken

changing coils can make a difference, however i have only ever seen it done on supercharged applications. :headscratch:

maybe they really do have something, honestly though 30hp is a big pickup i would only expect that kind of gain on an sc'ed car and nothing else.

+2 on never having heard anything good bout graneitelli

All, I see grantelli is double priced parts even there CAI is ugly as hell but today people do what money say's. I'm not upgading my coils just amazed at that article. Instead of me spending money on my cams, I could have just did their coils and got more ponys for less money!!! Just being a wise A$$. I would also go with MSD they strictly do ignitiom components and grantelli problaby got them from MSD.

I just feel bad for the sucker's out there!!

All, I see grantelli is double priced parts even there CAI is ugly as hell but today people do what money say's. I'm not upgading my coils just amazed at that article. Instead of me spending money on my cams, I could have just did their coils and got more ponys for less money!!! Just being a wise A$$. I would also go with MSD they strictly do ignitiom components and grantelli problaby got them from MSD.

I just feel bad for the sucker's out there!!

agreed, i had planned on ignition coils eventually but i wanted to use msd's coils they atleast are honest. 2-7 horsepower was the last numbers i heard from them.

remember a sucker is made every minute. i

You just hit a dead memory cell and its working again!!! I think, I still have a ford magazine where they test each mod they put in and what the horsepower gain was and grantelli was one of the mods. I'll find it and take a pic of the page and post it and if I'm right the coils were good for 8 pony's. It thats true then a email will go out to mustang and fords

You just hit a dead memory cell and its working again!!! I think, I still have a ford magazine where they test each mod they put in and what the horsepower gain was and grantelli was one of the mods. I'll find it and take a pic of the page and post it and if I'm right the coils were good for 8 pony's. It thats true then a email will go out to mustang and fords

the dead cell rises! run its zombie memory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used MSD Coils and noticed much sharper starting ,,,,,,,horspower I don't know . But the first coils I ordwered two years ago,were the Ganetelli 's ,,they sent the wrong coil it didn't fit at all , and I will never order their stuff again ...................ZDS

Here's the write up in 5.0 mustang on GMS sorry if it's a little blurry my sweet wife left my camera in the car. But what they did is start with exhaust dynoed and gms coils next !!! What great #'s
SORRY to disagree but I did see a difference in mileage ,,and a cleaner burn ,,I have the ACCEL ones ,part#140033,but to each his own,,like I said " alot cleaner exhaust burn at the pipes end ",,have a nice day :shift:594119_R1_22_21A.jpg

Spark plug is getting more ENERGY from this coil .............engine ain't makin any more pony's

Yup. That's kind of a cheesy marketing angle if ya ask me. What's the benefit of '10%-15% more energy' anyway? :headscratch:

Are the stock coils really that limited? If so, why? Wouldn't Ford have designed the ignition system to operate so that the fuel/air was combusted as thoroughly (cleanly) as possible, if for nothing else but emissions? This is one area where I wouldn't assume that the factory would skimp on quality or power (or 'energy'). I have zero data to back this assumption up, but I'd be interested to hear others opinions. :lurk:

Ken

Yup. That's kind of a cheesy marketing angle if ya ask me. What's the benefit of '10%-15% more energy' anyway? :headscratch:

Are the stock coils really that limited? If so, why? Wouldn't Ford have designed the ignition system to operate so that the fuel/air was combusted as thoroughly (cleanly) as possible, if for nothing else but emissions? This is one area where I wouldn't assume that the factory would skimp on quality or power (or 'energy'). I have zero data to back this assumption up, but I'd be interested to hear others opinions. :lurk:

Ken

surprisingly it does make a difference, just changing the spark gap can have an effect but you have to keep in mind that these gains are very small. ignition should be the last thing you do.

Ken

As i said the only thing I noticed after installing the MSD coils , was very crisp starting every time ............can't say if it has more HP,,,,,Id say it's in the fractions of a HP.....................

+1 I agree with Kahman ford wouldn"t go cheap on there coils but a better spark is alway's welcome and a lighting bolt is outstanding!!! But where do you get saying 27hp when another magazine used GMS products and did a step by step testing proving that each mod has a little horse power increase but together it adds up to something.

post-18733-1248919615_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1248919615_thumb.jpg

Archived