TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cash for Clunkers a bad thing for S/D's

I was just thinking that the Shelby Dakota's could be in a bad way right now because I believe they qualify for the "Cash For Clunkers" program. I guess you could trade in your S/D and get a good dollar for it and then they are required to destroy the engine and part it out. Selling it outright for a grand or so or trading it in for maybe $4,500.00 towards a new car can be devastating for the 1989 Shelby Dakota. I suspect that a few owners out there may opt for the cash for clunkers program, Ouch! :banghead:

There is a Shelby Dakota on eBay right now where the seller says exactly that. He will send it to the Cash For Clunkers program if it doesn't sell.

In his case his S/Dak is worth more as a C4C trade as in my opinion he can not get $4500 for it in its current state.

In fact if the seller is serious about using the C4C program he will financially come out way better especially if he removes some of the unique Shelby parts before trading it in for the $4500

He could swap or remove the majority of unique Shelby parts which could then be sold for at least $2,000 and when added to the C4C $4,500 he would be getting a total of $6,500 for his Shelby Dakota. As it currently sits there is no way he could get close to $6,500 for his truck.

It's not really a hard decision. Take $2,000 to $3,000 for it as a PP sale or get over twice as much going thru the C4C program.

Steve

Shelby Dakota #347

There is a Shelby Dakota on eBay right now where the seller says exactly that. He will send it to the Cash For Clunkers program if it doesn't sell.

In his case his S/Dak is worth more as a C4C trade as in my opinion he can not get $4500 for it in its current state.

In fact if the seller is serious about using the C4C program he will financially come out way better especially if he removes some of the unique Shelby parts before trading it in for the $4500

He could swap or remove the majority of unique Shelby parts which could then be sold for at least $2,000 and when added to the C4C $4,500 he would be getting a total of $6,500 for his Shelby Dakota. As it currently sits there is no way he could get close to $6,500 for his truck.

It's not really a hard decision. Take $2,000 to $3,000 for it as a PP sale or get over twice as much going thru the C4C program.

Steve

Shelby Dakota #347

True, it is just unfortunate that this program could wipe out quite a few Shelby Dakota's.

• 5 weeks later...
True, it is just unfortunate that this program could wipe out quite a few Shelby Dakota's.

While that's true, I prefer to look at the bright side. More spare parts and mine (#1295) becomes worth more (maybe, sorta, hopefully, someday), although I didn't buy it as an investment.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived