TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Iraqi charging US Soldiers

See article here.

My opinion may differ from many of you, of course, which is okay. I was active duty Marine Corps from '01-'05. I was there when we invaded, and was back for more. The majority of the Iraqi's were happy to have Saddam ousted - they welcomed the freedom of being lifted out from under a suppressing leader. As the years have gone by though, the presence of the US military in Iraq has become more and more questionable. It really just seems that it is time for us to GO, especially when this kind of press comes up.

What really bothers me is that they are making it sound like the Soldiers that pursued the insurgents were murderers. They may have shot someone innocent, they may not have, and NO ONE knows - WE were not there. The thing that gets me is... what about the THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT IRAQI'S that were killed by the insurgents, by roadside bombs and suicide bombs in marketplaces, etc.? What about THEM? And they are making us look like the bad guys?

The Soldiers were in pursuit of insurgents that tried to kill them.

The insurgents are after (and killing with no remorse) innocent people.

UNBELIEVALBE!

See article here.

My opinion may differ from many of you, of course, which is okay. I was active duty Marine Corps from '01-'05. I was there when we invaded, and was back for more. The majority of the Iraqi's were happy to have Saddam ousted - they welcomed the freedom of being lifted out from under a suppressing leader. As the years have gone by though, the presence of the US military in Iraq has become more and more questionable. It really just seems that it is time for us to GO, especially when this kind of press comes up.

What really bothers me is that they are making it sound like the Soldiers that pursued the insurgents were murderers. They may have shot someone innocent, they may not have, and NO ONE knows - WE were not there. The thing that gets me is... what about the THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT IRAQI'S that were killed by the insurgents, by roadside bombs and suicide bombs in marketplaces, etc.? What about THEM? And they are making us look like the bad guys?

UNBELIEVALBE!

I agree with you Sic it is time to leave.

I totally agree after 6 deployments there it was time to leave years ago.. Oh and the charges are most likely blown out of proportion and false. the "diplomats" need to make these go away

I agree with you. The Iraq war has been the most televised conflict ever, and most times they give the wrong impression, and a very biased opinion. IMHO, the media doesn't belong there, at least to the extent they are. I remember when they threw a press agent in with our company. Of course, he was unarmed, and we were told to protect him - as if we didn't have enough to worry about already! When we drove to our outpost from the battalion base (another Marine and I were in the front two seats of a troop carrier Humvee), he was in my seat when I arrived back at the truck. After a semi-heated argument over who took orders from who, he very heatedly moved his a$$ to the back of the truck.

I sarcastically told him to make sure he keeps his head up and notify us of an suspicious activity :)

I am, for the most part, completely against the media in Iraq.

See article here.

UNBELIEVALBE!

Agreed. These kids are out there not knowing who is friendly and who is not. Who is a woman or a guy in a burqa filled with explosives. It's hard to imagine not having some non-combatant get in the line of fire. It's unfortunate but we're not there cause we want to be and should leave as soon as possible. Bring all these fine soldiers home!

How about we shouldn't have gone, then NONE of this would have happened.

This must be a moral delemia for you. While I agree, it was not our intention to go in there to protect the Iraqi people for thier dictatorship. It certainly saved Iraqi lives. Tell me, what makes a Kurd in Iraq less worthy of our protection that a Muslim in Kosovo?

That being said, I agree its time to go

This must be a moral delemia for you. While I agree, it was not our intention to go in there to protect the Iraqi people for thier dictatorship. It certainly saved Iraqi lives. Tell me, what makes a Kurd in Iraq less worthy of our protection that a Muslim in Kosovo?

That being said, I agree its time to go

As much as I would love to solve the all world's problems, we are not the "World's Police Force" and shouldn't be running around overthrowing dictators with the blood of young American's when those living in these countries won't take up arms themselves. Worse, Iraq wasn't an issue...it was an annoyance. When ever we go into a battle, and commit our troops, asking them to put their lives on the line, we better damn well know why, what the goal is, how we'll measure success, and how we're going to get the hell out of there!

I can still hear candidate Bush, " we gotta be humble"..."our troops should not be in the business of nation building", "people in those nations should do the nation building". I truly wish he had kept to that ideal I think much would be different today.

We could have done a lot more good with that $1.3 trillion, and counting, dollars spent on Iraq while so much richer with the lives back of those we've lost.

Sad.

As much as I would love to solve the all world's problems, we are not the "World's Police Force" and shouldn't be running around overthrowing dictators with the blood of young American's when those living in these countries won't take up arms themselves. When ever we go into a battle, and commit our troops, asking them to put their lives on the line, we better damn well know why, what the goal is, and how we'll measure success and how we're going to get the hell out of there!

I can still hear candidate Bush "we should not be in the business of nation building". I wish he had kept to that ideal. We could have done a lot more good withy that $1.3 trillion and counting dollars and so much richer with the lives of those we've lost.

Iraq wasn't an issue...it was an annoyance.

Sad.

So, you didnt agree with Clinton then either?

So, you didnt agree with Clinton then either?

I didn't agree with Clinton on sending US ground troops anywhere or close air support forces as was the case in Somalia. While I do tend to be more sympathetic in the cases where there is ongoing genocide as was the case in the Balkans. I think that is VERY different than just overthrowing a dictator you don't happen to like, Kurdish deaths in the 80's aside. We also have to remember that using American might does not have to mean sending ground troops. We kept Saddam contained for years though air power. We could have worked harder in the case of Rwanda mustering other African nations to build a multi-national force while providing air and intelligence support. These are things we can do when our national security is not directly at stake.

It was one of the reason's I supported and even donated to the McCain campaign in 2000 I knew, as a soldier, he would be far more pragmatic sending troops around.

Archived