TEAM SHELBY FORUM

89 CSX Front Springs

agvs24

Chris

The Chrysler part numbers for the 1989 Shelby CSX front coil springs are:

4322779 drivers side

4322778 passenger side

I can't recall at the moment if the springs were changed. The above spring part numbers do not have the Shelby prefix which makes me think they are stock Turbo ES springs or that they are springs from another Chrysler vehicle.

I want to say that the low mile CSX's that I've seen have had the paper tags with the Chrysler part number on the springs. That makes me think that they came from Chrysler.

Like any good performance company Shelby first raided Chrysler's parts bins before having custom parts manufactured.

Steve

Chris, Steve,

I thought they were different.... I checked my parts book and it shows 4322776 and 4322777 spring w/shelby

I attached a screen dump of the page....

Tim

Tim

What year is the parts book you're using? The part numbers I posted came from the 1989 Shelby unique parts list.

Steve

Tim

What year is the parts book you're using? The part numbers I posted came from the 1989 Shelby unique parts list.

Steve

I'm pretty sure I have the same parts reference as Tim and it doesn't really specify the version of the book (it's an electronic copy). But what I saw just now after seaching, was that the 4322776 number was used in 1987 as the H.D w/AIR spring in many models and I didn't see a Shelby reference. In 1988 it is used the same way, while it is also listed as the H.D. spring for other applications, there is a listing for SHELBY on that number. For 1989 though, the SHELBY listing is the only appearance of that number and for the first time the 4322777 number is also referenced.

I always thought the Shelby unique parts list was only for parts that were used (replaced) at Whittier. If these cars were ordered with a certain suspension setup (knowing they would be converted into Shelbys) would those parts be included on the Shelby unique parts list? If so, then the notation in the parts book would be for reference for future parts needs (reapair/replacement).

I always thought the Shelby unique parts list was only for parts that were used (replaced) at Whittier. If these cars were ordered with a certain suspension setup (knowing they would be converted into Shelbys) would those parts be included on the Shelby unique parts list? If so, then the notation in the parts book would be for reference for future parts needs (reapair/replacement).

Barry

There were several unique parts lists. I have some internal lists that show both unique Shelby designed part numbers and regular Chrysler part numbers that were from other car lines but being used on the Whittier cars. These internal lists would show the supplier and sometimes the vehicle it was originally designed for.

Both sets of part numbers are in sequence that I suspect that one of the sets of numbers may be a superceeded part number or an engineering number.

When I get a chance I'll see if CSX #001 still has the p/n tags on the springs.

Steve

Barry

There were several unique parts lists. I have some internal lists that show both unique Shelby designed part numbers and regular Chrysler part numbers that were from other car lines but being used on the Whittier cars. These internal lists would show the supplier and sometimes the vehicle it was originally designed for.

Both sets of part numbers are in sequence that I suspect that one of the sets of numbers may be a superceeded part number or an engineering number.

When I get a chance I'll see if CSX #001 still has the p/n tags on the springs.

Steve

Thanks everyone, i know there are no P/N tags left on my car!

Put Carroll's CSX on a lift this morning and took a pic for you. This is the drivers side spring.

Steve

Thanks Steve since that lines up with Tim's part book the pass side should be 4327776 then. The whole reason i asked this is I'm going to be rebuilding the front suspension on my car, i picked up a set of Koni adjustable struts, new control arm and sway bar bushings, strut mounts, and isolators. I was hoping to find another set of springs if they were just stockers so i could pre-build the assembly and just swap it out but sounds like i'll be re-using the springs on the car now. 20 years and 100,000 miles the stock Formula GPs among other things have had it. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
Put Carroll's CSX on a lift this morning and took a pic for you. This is the drivers side spring.

Steve

Now thats service! :)

Need a :clap: or :thumb: smilie!

Archived