TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4:10 gears?

I have a stock 2007 SGT except for a Bama 93 Race tune and I'm interested in getting steeper gears (I currently have 3:55). FRPP has 4:10 and Motive has 3:90. I like the idea of 3:90 but I understand that FRPP gears are made differently than Motive gears. Which is better?

But how do you like the 4:10 gears? Did they make a difference in how the car gets up and goes?

Do you think I should also buy the installation kit with the new bearings or just the basic it without the bearings? I only have 6500 miles on my SGT.

Do you have gear whine problems?

Do I need another tune or can I adjust the gear ratio in the Bama tune with my SCT X3?

I have 4:10's. I had them when I was N/A and after the S/C. I would highly recommend them! I would stick with the 4:10's from FRPP. Brothers Performance has a sale on them right now see their site or call. As far as the install kit, you have the same amount of mileage that I had when I installed. My shop told me I wouldn't need the kit as there were too few miles. Your shop may differ, i've had no issues and I don't hear them whine at all. You can change the gear ratio in your existing tune yourself as you noted. done deal, get'er done and let us know how you like them!

If you track your car often, go with the 3.90's. If not, the 4.10's are awesome. I have some gear whine, but that's the nature of the FRPP gears. It's nothing too outrageous. They make hopping around town a whole lot more fun. :)

Ken

If you track your car often, go with the 3.90's. If not, the 4.10's are awesome. I have some gear whine, but that's the nature of the FRPP gears. It's nothing too outrageous. They make hopping around town a whole lot more fun. :)

Ken

Is the way FRPP gears are cut vs. Motive that causes more whine or not?

Is the way FRPP gears are cut vs. Motive that causes more whine or not?

I don't know anything about the Motive gears or whether they whine. The FRPP gears are well known for the noise though.

If I had to guess, I'd agree with your assumption that it's the cut.

Don't forget the TA differential stud kit. ;)

ARGGGGGhhhhhhhhhhh

I bought them with the gears and put them in the box ........forget to mention it to the shop.........I sure as heck hope they put them in (not in their pocket) ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I will be calling them tomorrow to ask

Thanks for the reminder Ken !!!

Take Care

Andrew

I'm seriously thinking of getting the 4.10's as well... Most of the road courses I run on, don't have very long straights... So I spend most of the time in either 2nd or 3rd gear... But would rather shift between 3rd and 4th on the track, instead of going thru the "H" in the shift pattern...

And having just got back from the drag strip last night, I can definitely see the advantage of the 4.10s over the stock 3.55 gears... Ran a personal best time of 13.88 seconds... And went thru the traps at 104 MPH while still in 3rd gear (6,000 RPM)...

Not a daily driver, so the dlight decrease in MPG really isn't a consideration for me...

Gregg

07SGT0547

I'm seriously thinking of getting the 4.10's as well... Most of the road courses I run on, don't have very long straights... So I spend most of the time in either 2nd or 3rd gear... But would rather shift between 3rd and 4th on the track, instead of going thru the "H" in the shift pattern...

And having just got back from the drag strip last night, I can definitely see the advantage of the 4.10s over the stock 3.55 gears... Ran a personal best time of 13.88 seconds... And went thru the traps at 104 MPH while still in 3rd gear (6,000 RPM)...

Not a daily driver, so the dlight decrease in MPG really isn't a consideration for me...

Gregg

07SGT0547

I haven't noticed much of an MPG decrease with the gears, because at highway speeds the engine speed is only up a couple hundred RPM.

Again, I don't like them on the road course, but they're killer on the street/strip!

Ken

ARGGGGGhhhhhhhhhhh

I bought them with the gears and put them in the box ........forget to mention it to the shop.........I sure as heck hope they put them in (not in their pocket) ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I will be calling them tomorrow to ask

Thanks for the reminder Ken !!!

Take Care

Andrew

I'm glad you remembered man! :hysterical:

I may go w/ 4:10's at some point, however I'm really not too excited about hearing a "whine". Is the noise constant?

Mine may be the exception but I had FRPP 3.73s installed at the dealer and they are dead quiet - and I love them.

Did you have the dealer provide the gears or did you buy them and have them install them? My Ford dealer is not a FRPP dealer.

What gears did you have before (3.31 or 3.55) and did you notice the difference with 3.73's? How did the dealer handle the speedo calibration?

Please explain where these four studs go????????? I'm clueless :headscratch:

The studs replace as many of the original diff bolts as you'd like to replace. You don't only have to buy 4. That was the only pic I could find.

If I get my dealer to do the 4.10 gear install, will it void my warranty? If I return my tune to stock, can they cal the speedo?

You won't have any warranty problem with the gears, especially if the dealer does the install.

They'll be able to make the necessary changes to your tune as well. Good luck

Ken

I had frpp 410's installed in my car by a very reputable gear shop and i can't tell any difference between the stock and 410's as far as noise is concerned but i can really tell the difference in performance. It feels like i gained 50hp with the 410's. There is nothing you can do to your car for performance that you will be able to feel more than 410's for the money. The 373's are just to close to the 355's to make it worth it. The 410's changed my gas mileage about 2 mpg which is worth it for the performance gain. My shorty headers,alum. d.s., and brenspeed tune together don't add up to the performance of the 410's. There is a lot of bad publicity about the 410's being to low but i feel they are perfect for driving around town or on the road. I turn corners now and down-shift to 3rd instead of 2nd. Great response.

I had frpp 410's installed in my car by a very reputable gear shop and i can't tell any difference between the stock and 410's as far as noise is concerned but i can really tell the difference in performance. It feels like i gained 50hp with the 410's. There is nothing you can do to your car for performance that you will be able to feel more than 410's for the money. The 373's are just to close to the 355's to make it worth it. The 410's changed my gas mileage about 2 mpg which is worth it for the performance gain. My shorty headers,alum. d.s., and brenspeed tune together don't add up to the performance of the 410's. There is a lot of bad publicity about the 410's being to low but i feel they are perfect for driving around town or on the road. I turn corners now and down-shift to 3rd instead of 2nd. Great response.

I wonder if I told my dealer to replace the gears but don't mess with the speed cal would they do it? I want to just redo the speedo cal myself with my tuner. If I let them do it, they'll reflash the ECM and change my strategy code and all my tunes (5 of them) will need to be redone. Any thoughts on how I should approach this problem?

• 2 weeks later...
Did you have the dealer provide the gears or did you buy them and have them install them? My Ford dealer is not a FRPP dealer.

What gears did you have before (3.31 or 3.55) and did you notice the difference with 3.73's? How did the dealer handle the speedo calibration?

My dealer wasn't an FRPP dealer at the time I did the gears but is now. I bought them from Racer Walsh (my dealer actually gave me their name and number) and the dealer installed them. I had the 3.55s before and, yes, I noticed a big difference. I know many say the 3.73s are too close to the stock 3.55s but I can feel the difference and I love the way the car moves. I would bet I would have loved 4.10s as well.

I took the long route with the calibration. I called Ford Racing and got a re-tune from them. They were very helpful and once I gave them the last six digits of my VIN they knew it was a Shelby GT and what mods had been made. After payment they sent a flash tool with the new tune that my dealer installed. I had the tool in my hands before I dropped off the car for the gear install. I sent it back later for a refund of the tool deposit ($100). I learned later from members here that if I'd had a Livewire I could have done the calibration myself. I didn't have one and Ford Racing told me the dealer could not adjust the tune for the change of gears (my dealer thought they could). I don't know if they can or not but the guys at FRPP said they could not.

I think gears are like horsepower, these cars need more than what came stock.

Hope this helps some.

May I ask what the cost of the install through the dealer was? I have only had the car for a short time but this is a mod I am really considering. Thanks

I don't mind at all. My cost was just under $675 and that didn't include the gears. There were additional parts on the invoice as they didn't reuse anything. I don't recall exactly how much they were but it was just over $100. Also, I had an oil change done at the same time with full synthetic oil and while I don't recall exactly how much that was I think it was close to $40. Lulu had turned me on to a tuner over in Jacksonville that I spoke with and he quoted me $400 for the install. Again, not including the gears. So, I paid more than I could have but in the end I was and am still satisfied with the cost and I'm more than pleased that it's all under warranty.

I like my FRPP 4.10. And no noise here. In fact, until this thread, I've always heard that FRPP gears are the quiet ones. My understanding is that the Motive gears, especially the 3.90, are noisy.

The 390's are considered the noisy one's and they are a foreign gear. I was contemplating going with 390's as they seemed middle of the road but i didn't want any whine so i went with the 410's. Several people make the 410's and from what i have been told by several shops, only one company makes the 390's. I feel i made the right decision and these frpp gears make a lot of difference in the driveability of the car. As for as calibrating the speedometer, i have a breenspeed sct-2 tuner and all i had to do was dial in the 410 gear ratio and the speedometer was reset.

Archived