TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Supercharger option

swa737

Ordering the Shelby GT and have a question. Can you put a supercharger on an Automatic transmission? Looking at Ford Racing, it seems they are only for manual transmissions.

from Amy...

3.) When you say the S/Cer will be "done afterwards", does that mean it will take months before your able to upgrade any Shelby GT's with it, or it just has be done as a separate option, one in which you can't go through the dealer to obtain, but can be done immediately after the car would normally be ready to ship to the dealer? In this case, the car would stay there, you would add the extra options, and then I would need to arrange delivery.

>> it will be done right after the car is completed. there would be no delays. The Sc works for nmanuals and Autos as well

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=56659

from Amy...

3.) When you say the S/Cer will be "done afterwards", does that mean it will take months before your able to upgrade any Shelby GT's with it, or it just has be done as a separate option, one in which you can't go through the dealer to obtain, but can be done immediately after the car would normally be ready to ship to the dealer? In this case, the car would stay there, you would add the extra options, and then I would need to arrange delivery.

>> it will be done right after the car is completed. there would be no delays. The Sc works for nmanuals and Autos as well

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=56659

Interesting. Then I would estimate HP @ 400-425, because I don't think the auto can handle the rumored 485 HP- but the limit is around 450, if I remember correctly. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Will the 4.6 motor handle 470HP? Over time?

Amy indicated that they could get more than 470 out of the 4.6, but 470 was 'safe' for the motor :happy feet: This could be a scary car!

guess i'm too late for a SC

No you're not--I don't think. If you are doing a Las Vegas pick-up, they will install it for you. If not, you can order it shipped to your door for local install. Hope this helps!

thanks crispy

Of course I found that info out after i posted last night rooting around for info and trying to decide which SC to go w/.

Its this one or a KB.

Just remember, if you go with another s/c, you'll need to do a dyno tune too. Another thing to remember is that even if you get the KB (I assume twin screw, or why bother) then you will need to put in forged internals if you intend to exceed what the Shelby or Ford S/C will output safely. Remember, using the Ford or Shelby S/C won't void your warranty. But if you go 2-screw w/forged internals....that would be sick! :shift:

Yeah, we expect an update when you choose...and then when you install! Good luck!

Just remember, if you go with another s/c, you'll need to do a dyno tune too. Another thing to remember is that even if you get the KB (I assume twin screw, or why bother) then you will need to put in forged internals if you intend to exceed what the Shelby or Ford S/C will output safely. Remember, using the Ford or Shelby S/C won't void your warranty. But if you go 2-screw w/forged internals....that would be sick! :shift:

Yeah, we expect an update when you choose...and then when you install! Good luck!

I've been reading up on KB's newest SC, and up to 9 PSI you don't need the new internals. their new H line is freaking sick looking at their dyno results.

I'm pricing the KB's, and the Paxton's. Both have good low end boost and high end. KB's twin screw actually has good upper end boost contrary to the stuff you read on different SC's.

3rd option is a Vortech but I'm not real wild on the idea unless this guy just offers a price that is too hard to turn down.

Using any supercharger won't void your warranty. Thats illegal. A mechanic can tell if a SC caused a problem. Key is finding a performance oriented service center that know whats what.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading up on KB's newest SC, and up to 9 PSI you don't need the new internals. their new H line is freaking sick looking at their dyno results.

I'm pricing the KB's, and the Paxton's. Both have good low end boost and high end. KB's twin screw actually has good upper end boost contrary to the stuff you read on different SC's.

3rd option is a Vortech but I'm not real wild on the idea unless this guy just offers a price that is too hard to turn down.

Using any supercharger won't void your warranty. Thats illegal. A mechanic can tell if a SC caused a problem. Key is finding a performance oriented service center that know whats what.

You are correct and I should have worded it more carefully. What price is the KB?

And by the way, any news on the Shelby S/C Pricing?

update..KB doesn't recommend the H model unless you plan on topping 16 psior so HP IIRC....

some info i found on the KB site.

4599.00 5-6 PSI KIT

5699.00 8-13 PSI KIT

i found it for a little bit cheaper thru a performance shop.

I've found that “safe” rating of the pistons is approx. 450RWHP.

the 8 psi kit is right at that rating

05mustangIntro.gif

You are correct and I should have worded it more carefully. What price is the KB?

And by the way, any news on the Shelby S/C Pricing?

The Shelby webste has the Paxton listed at $4795.00. I still have not heard definitive word about whether or not ordering the S/C from Shelby makes you have to pick up the car at Shelby American in Las Vegas. Also haven't heard definitive info from Amy about warranty.

.......Amy has been pretty clear. If you want SAI to install the S/C you either have to pick up your car at SAI in Vegas or possibly arrange for private shipping. She mentioned the shipping was possible one time and I have never seen her mention it again. She did post to somebody on the eastcoast that they might be able to put the S/C in the trunk and deliver the car as normal but then you would have to arrange for installation.

Archived