TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dear Mr. Hau Thai-Tang

M5

For starters: I have never been on a ford site in my life and I dont know if this car is marketed at my demographic in particular but I can say that this car is making a splash in my circles. The GT which I do not own and is now priced about half of what I paid for my boat is a true Sports car which I will not pay 200k for. But, I do know some thing about performance saloons and have purchased the following performance cars E39M5 and an Audi S4.

Hau Thai-Tang, The car that was displayed at the New York Auto Show was moving. In part the recognition of the styling and tradition of the Shelby line and the great mustangs of late 60' and early 70's reached out to me as no other ford product has. But I am concerned. This Car could be very special but the styling cues that I have seen so far make me nervous.

A. The Hood: hate it. Stay with the traditional shelby hood or the hood that was on the "05"concept or The Shelby Concept at the NY SHOW.

B. Stripes, An extra option for $650 dollars for high quality stripes that cover the entire license plate bracket is mandatory and dont look cheap. Dont be cheap

C. Have a "Shelby" option for 9,500 that includes, Sides Scoops,Rear Window Scoops, Wood Steering Wheel(with Air Bag), Custom wheels, Valve Covers that are engraved as SHELBY SVT, Aluminium Pedals, and an ignitition that is mounted on the Dash not on the steering wheel. BRAKES that say SHELBY. Steve Saleen does it and this product should take his business.

D. Yes, Most of us want a Big SHELBY under the rear spoiler so put the light on it and charge us for it.

This car should be Corvette like pricing. You have a market who hates the stigma of a Corvette but wants an american legend "SHELBY MUSTANG". WE WILL PAY FOR IT. PRICE IT AS A VETTE AND WATCH US LINE UP TO PAY. We want to own tradition and are willing to pay for it but do not want to own a "VETTE" or a 5.0 kid car. The 1967 and 1968 Shelby GT 500 were much more exclusive. Build the GT's the Boss and Bullitt for the 45K and under crowd and leave the Shelby MUSTANG name at a premium. If not I hope the old man wants to make a buck and I hope it extends beyond just wheels.

PRICE IT AS A VETTE AND WATCH US LINE UP TO PAY.

Former,

I think you have to wake up. If FOMOCO is going to price it like a Vette, it's going to be the biggest fiasko in their history. Why? because of the Dealers mark-up.

Here in California each and every F#$@%ing Ford dealer has GT's marked-up 5K. What do you think they are going to mark-up the GT500? 10K,15K? If the Vette is selling for 65K and the GT for 80K (because of those greedy dealers) GM is going out of the hole in nu time.

FOMOCO, SHUT DOWN ALL DEALERS SELLING OVER MSRP.

Re. corvette like pricing. I have driven and am now shopping the C6 and for that kind of money there is no way that the next COBRA(nay Shelby) could ever get to that level of refinment. This is a car that started of as a budget sporty car(300hp for $30k). The Corvette is GM's only game right now and they shoot at the 911 customer and may just have got there. The SVT COBRA(there it is again) should IMHO hew to the SVT stated core values of performance, substance, exclusivity, and value. We( former new owners looking to replace our prior pride and joy) are the people who understand what it means to pay an extra 25% for a Mustang and know what to expect. It is not the MOON! Whether or not FORD may want to add to its model mix a car that takes the others on at that level is another thing. I suspect they can't do it as the offshore competiters are killing them in every other market. It pains me to believe these things, as I have alway's bled FORD blue, but facts and $ are as they are. I also have watched with mixed feelings as the concept degrades farther and farther from the 85% promise, but allowing me to leave the darn stickers off would be enough to justifie other compromises. As to the foolish mark-ups (claimed) well that is what happens when you dilute the brand to every crappy dealer. Ford had a very good program with SVT dealers(top 1/2% of all in customer service I believe) and they generally knew how not to P.O. probable repeat long term customers(like me). So FORD, Mr. Thai-Tang, et all this is your time to review all the clamor and give us a car for the ages, not the age.

Ford has a supercar in the GT. I would love to see the SHELBY be the 911's competitor (not the 911 turbo=GT). Saleen markets to the 911 crowd. The Shelby should be Saleens competition and the 911 and C6. The 45k and undermarket could be served by the Mustang GT,BOSS, Mach 1 ect. just as the Caymen and Boxter. I prefer the styling of the new mustang to either the previous 3 years of 911 or C6. I just cant get over the GT 3000 headlights.

Sorry mate. There is no way you can get a mustang to those levels or anywhere near that kind of focus. C6 50-60k 65k+(ZO6), 911 base70K-80K (4S).This is a mustang dude. They are dedicated 2 door SPORTS cars built on dedicated platforms to be the best their company's offer. Our beloved Mustang is still a sedan at heart. Mind you a pretty darn good cobble job.... Besides the Idea of a 50k Mustang is pointed at the kind of customer who would never cross shop the dealer let alone the car. After the first few have gone to collections and maybe a museum or two, I will happily take delivery of my daily driven toy for MSRP or less and do the advertising for FORD. In the meantime I hope that price gouging dealers choke on their panic when they discover that people who pay that kind of premium on a car that they would not normally buy are pretty fussy customers who cause major headaches and are generally unsatisfied. Thank you however for raising some interesting questions about whom FORD wants this car to go to. Funny I never thought that LSV8 Lincoln buyers really needed Brembo's, SLA suspensions, T56 6-speeds or 450+ Hp. So how about some answers SVT? What do you think your demographic for these new "upscale" SVT products are? Maybe I should be looking for something like a C6. But its no fun rolling on with a 60yr old a-s-hat who never could drive and is having a severe mid-life and will probably get into trouble the first time that the car does what it can do. Because even good vette owners decrie the fact that the majority of buyers do little to advance the legend and generally pull down the breed.

I will happily take delivery of my daily driven toy for MSRP or less and do the advertising for FORD.

You are going to take delivery of your toy for MSRP "AFTER" winning the MegaMillions lottery.

151[/snapback]

I seem to recall Mr. Thia-Tang saying in an autoweek article 04/04/05 "Final prices are not set but the last SVT Cobra cost $35,000. Ford officials say the goal is to keep this car priced less than $40,000. “You won’t be able to touch this performance for the money,” Thai-Tang says. Ford won’t commit to a production number, but says it will build all the 500s drivers demand." At least that made it into print unlike a lot of other speculation. Jeepers folks it is a mustang after all. Do you think that after the stated goals to make SVT more mainstream and better intergrate the car into the lineup they will drop a grenade on their foot by not producing all they can sell?

• 2 months later...

Former E39 M5, if you want big wings, lots of unnecessary scoops, and a bloated price tag along with your "exclusivity", why not buy the CS model offered by Shelby himself? I'm sure he would be happy to charge you $90-$100k. :lol:

Ford is in the business to sell vehicles that have mass appeal. These days, 7-10k units (especially on a car that has already sold around 200k units) is a niche vehicle. They aren't in the business to add unnecessary gobbledegook (spell THAT!) to satiate 1 or 2 customers who don't necessarily want performance, but looks. OR......just buy the damn thing and throw $20-$30k at it to give it that "look" you want. This ain't "Dub City", dude...

flamethrower? What flamethrower??? :P

Former E39 M5, if you want big wings, lots of unnecessary scoops, and a bloated price tag along with your "exclusivity", why not buy the CS model offered by Shelby himself? I'm sure he would be happy to charge you $90-$100k. :lol:

Ford is in the business to sell vehicles that have mass appeal. These days, 7-10k units (especially on a car that has already sold around 200k units) is a niche vehicle. They aren't in the business to add unnecessary gobbledegook (spell THAT!) to satiate 1 or 2 customers who don't necessarily want performance, but looks. OR......just buy the damn thing and throw $20-$30k at it to give it that "look" you want. This ain't "Dub City", dude...

flamethrower? What flamethrower??? :P

Personally, I think the price point they're aiming at is a good one. I don't think they picked it out of a hat. I don't know if there's some law against dealer markups in Canada or not, but if they were charging any crazy markups like some I been hearing about, it would change the game. Another 10-15k puts you in to an all new class of vehicles that are notably more refined in technology and finish. Love the new Porsche Cayman!!! Love the Lotus Elise!!!!! Could never bring myself to own a Vette, can't explain why. But there is some heavy competition in the price point just above the targeted slot for the GT500, that is beyond the grasp of this car. DON'T GET ME WRONG!!!!! I gave up my seat, so to speak, in the new Lotus Elise for one in the new Shelby GT500 for its' power, history, name, untouchable coolness, but most of all value for the dollar. IF TESTOSTERONE WAS A CAR, THIS WOULD BE IT!!!!! But they can't make what makes this car cool optional extras, or the value is gone. They can't let dealer invoicing get out of control for the same reason. The Shelby GT500 does it for me, where the Mustang GT doesn't, but the GT500 is not doulble the car, so don't make it double the cost. Half as much again, and keep the car as it was in New York and YOU CAN'T TOP IT!!!!!

Keep the car at $40k, as shown at New York, and you got yourself a sale. As JETSOLVER has said, once I'm in the drivers seat, you might be able to win my loyalty.

KingCobra.

• 2 months later...

Personally, I think the price point they're aiming at is a good one. I don't think they picked it out of a hat. I don't know if there's some law against dealer markups in Canada or not, but if they were charging any crazy markups like some I been hearing about, it would change the game. Another 10-15k puts you in to an all new class of vehicles that are notably more refined in technology and finish. Love the new Porsche Cayman!!! Love the Lotus Elise!!!!! Could never bring myself to own a Vette, can't explain why. But there is some heavy competition in the price point just above the targeted slot for the GT500, that is beyond the grasp of this car. DON'T GET ME WRONG!!!!! I gave up my seat, so to speak, in the new Lotus Elise for one in the new Shelby GT500 for its' power, history, name, untouchable coolness, but most of all value for the dollar. IF TESTOSTERONE WAS A CAR, THIS WOULD BE IT!!!!! But they can't make what makes this car cool optional extras, or the value is gone. They can't let dealer invoicing get out of control for the same reason. The Shelby GT500 does it for me, where the Mustang GT doesn't, but the GT500 is not doulble the car, so don't make it double the cost. Half as much again, and keep the car as it was in New York and YOU CAN'T TOP IT!!!!!

Keep the car at $40k, as shown at New York, and you got yourself a sale. As JETSOLVER has said, once I'm in the drivers seat, you might be able to win my loyalty.

KingCobra.

I think an Elise is more fun at the track. I have been playing with one on the track. The guy could not follow my Cobra out of the corners. Less power, but on the braking he was on my tail again. They are so light.

But I will not ever own one as it misses four cylinders. Nothing beats the sound of a v8.

You sharing in my.....excitement... just didn't seem.....um...right.

No offence.

But.......my wife wouldn't understand. Haha. <_<

KingCobra.

Give her this.

http://webpages.charter.net/risenhour/aide...kered_flag.html

I did. I gave the black/white checkered flag one with the Cobra emblem. :wub: And she is wax in your hands.

Archived