TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT 500 Weight

Mustang GT is about 3400lbs, GT500- 3900lbs.

The 4.6 is all aluminum, the 5.4 has an iron block. The complete 5.4 engine weighs over 800lbs.

The GT500 transmission is larger, the wheels/tires are larger, larger brakes, etc. which all adds up to 500lbs.

Isn't there also some additional bracing for the 5.4 and increased body stiffness?

Nope.

The majority of the difference is in the engine bay. The iron block makes up about 70-80 lbs. The GT500 DOHC heads are also heavier than the MGT's SOHC heads.

The SVT rims weigh in around 30 lbs a piece, whereas the MGT rims weigh around 25 lbs.

Ken

Isn't there also some additional bracing for the 5.4 and increased body stiffness?

No bracing except strut tower brace.

All 07 and up S197s got unibody welds 9" on center as opposed to 14" to stiffen things up in preparation for the GT500 package.

GT-500 vs Mustang GT

Iron 5.4L over Aluminum 4.6L

Supercharger (GT-500)

Intercooler (GT-500)

Larger brakes (Brembo) (GT-500)

Tremec TR6060 6spd vs TR3650 5 spd

Strut tower brace (GT-500)

........not sure about the driveshaft. The GT-500 has a 2 piece steel drive shaft that weighs a ton. Not sure what the Mustang GT has.

GT-500 vs Mustang GT

Iron 5.4L over Aluminum 4.6L

Supercharger (GT-500)

Intercooler (GT-500)

Larger brakes (Brembo) (GT-500)

Tremec TR6060 6spd vs TR3650 5 spd

Strut tower brace (GT-500)

........not sure about the driveshaft. The GT-500 has a 2 piece steel drive shaft that weighs a ton. Not sure what the Mustang GT has.

The MGT also has a 2 piece shaft that weighs a ton.

The MGT also has a 2 piece shaft that weighs a ton.

Hi kahmann,

The GT500 and the regular Mustang GT both use the same 2 piece driveshaft. I know because I have a 1pc AL drive shaft in my storage area waiting for my Clutch TSB warranty to expire in 1k so I can install it. Along with the Ford racing short shifter they would not install during the Clutch TSB.

Also with regards to weight I took out the Shaker 1000 Subwoofer and the associated BTL (Bridge Tied Load i.e. differential drive) power amplifiers that weighed in at about 90lbs total. It freeded up a ton of trunk space and I don't miss the Boomy sound at all (my profession is high end audio / home theater) BUT I think the extra weight over one rear wheel might not have been a bad thing? I.e. keeping the rear wheels planted.

Mark / MSB Mustang

Archived