TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Will Mods. Void Warranty?

ISAID

I was considering purchasing some mods for my car. I wanted to Install the ultimate lowering suspension kit from evolution performance, 3.73 gears, SC Pulley, Idler Pulley, and tune will this void warranty?

I was considering purchasing some mods for my car. I wanted to Install the ultimate lowering suspension kit from evolution performance, 3.73 gears, SC Pulley, Idler Pulley, and tune will this void warranty?

sure will.

unless you have a dealer that is willing to work with you when it's an obvious non related part failure most dealers will void your warranty

I'd say the pully and tune would mean game over on the warranty.....maybe the others, too....

I thought it would void the warranty but wasn't sure. Does this mean that most Shelby owners wait until after the warranty to do mods? Do you guys plan to mod your cars any during the warranty period? Would only power and drive train warranties be void, this shouldn't effect any warranties with body, paint or interior? :headscratch:

I thought it would void the warranty but wasn't sure. Does this mean that most Shelby owners wait until after the warranty to do mods? Do you guys plan to mod your cars any during the warranty period? Would only power and drive train warranties be void, this shouldn't effect any warranties with body, paint or interior? :headscratch:

In my educated opinion I would say MOST shelby owners do NOT modify their cars. the online community is a minor representation on gt500 owners.

You shouldn't be concerned with modding your car. Done correctly they will survive.. esp with the knock sensors the '10's get. Just do your research and get a good SCT tuner.

A jerk dealer may not want to even look at non powertrain issues of a modded car!

Unlike the 03/04 cobra that put the modular motor on the map (in terms of hp :-) ), the gt500 community is largely an older demographic that think of the GT500 as a car that Carroll Shelby was involved with like in 60's, and tend to want to keep it in the wrapper LOL.

Unlike the 03/04 cobra that put the modular motor on the map (in terms of hp :-) ), the gt500 community is largely an older demographic that think of the GT500 as a car that Carroll Shelby was involved with like in 60's, and tend to want to keep it in the wrapper LOL.

So true. There was a guy with a Super Snake at the car show Sunday. He said Shelby says for every 100 miles he drives it he loses x amount of dollars in value. So he trailers it everywhere since one day it will be worth a lot. I was trying my best and finally said just enjoy it man. These cars aren't going to be worth money like the classic Shelby's are. I guess he could wait until he was 90 and turn a profit if they do. lol

So true. There was a guy with a Super Snake at the car show Sunday. He said Shelby says for every 100 miles he drives it he loses x amount of dollars in value. So he trailers it everywhere since one day it will be worth a lot. I was trying my best and finally said just enjoy it man. These cars aren't going to be worth money like the classic Shelby's are. I guess he could wait until he was 90 and turn a profit if they do. lol

No reflection on you, but that man is an idiot. If anything, Carroll will flat out tell you to drive the car not store it away like some CD in a bank.

Depending on automotive and oil industry history going forward, the late model Shelby's could/will give an owner a tidy return eventually, but in my case, I'll be worm meal before that happens.

You were right in trying to get through to that guy, but I suspect that he got raped on the original purchase price on his 500 and in his mind he is going to keep it socked away until he can recoup that money and then some.

I have 25K on my SS and there are some people who think that I am nuts for that. I just tell them to kiss my ass.

No reflection on you, but that man is an idiot. If anything, Carroll will flat out tell you to drive the car not store it away like some CD in a bank.

Depending on automotive and oil industry history going forward, the late model Shelby's could/will give an owner a tidy return eventually, but in my case, I'll be worm meal before that happens.

You were right in trying to get through to that guy, but I suspect that he got raped on the original purchase price on his 500 and in his mind he is going to keep it socked away until he can recoup that money and then some.

I have 25K on my SS and there are some people who think that I am nuts for that. I just tell them to kiss my ass.

Like the way you think, what is the point of having the car if your not going to drive it. I can't wait until mine is delivered so I can start driving it a lot.

Regards,

Jim

Talking to mulitple dealers (not just Ford), the warranty issues with modified vehicles are a grey area. They have to prove that the modification that you did, caused the problem.

So a upgraded pulley would not result in no coverage of a failed master cylinder or heater core or nav system. However, if you throw a rod at 21 pounds of boost, you're probably on your own.

That being said, some dealerships are cool with modifications and others are not. The key is to find one with a service manager who is an enthusiast and make friends with them.

You can always return your car to stock before taking it into the dealer, you'll have to decide if your conscience will let you do that!

KEB

Talking to mulitple dealers (not just Ford), the warranty issues with modified vehicles are a grey area. They have to prove that the modification that you did, caused the problem.

So a upgraded pulley would not result in no coverage of a failed master cylinder or heater core or nav system. However, if you throw a rod at 21 pounds of boost, you're probably on your own.

That being said, some dealerships are cool with modifications and others are not. The key is to find one with a service manager who is an enthusiast and make friends with them.

You can always return your car to stock before taking it into the dealer, you'll have to decide if your conscience will let you do that!

KEB

KEB is correct

Putting a new set of wheels and tires on your car is MODDING it! Could Ford void the warranty for that? Only if the wheel tire combo causes the problem you complaining about!

Puttin a pully on the car is NOT going to kill the warranty on the power windows or A/C! No way the pulley caused a defect in those parts. But if you have some engine or trans problem then you better be ready to fight! Ford is looking for reasons NOT to cover warranty. We are having to take pictures and get approval on most stuff we do now! If you do a tune best thing is to take it out when you take it back to the dealer! If its in the computer and Ford has an update the dealer will put the NEW update on the computer and your tune is GONE!!!

MM

As far as it goes here in Canada as long as it is FRPP and you get it installed by an authorized shop it won't void your warranty. But the grey area for them is did you get it installed when you bought the car or later. This can be the difference between 12 months or 36 months of warranty but as said here it could depend on the dealer if you buy your mods after purchase but get them installed where you bought the car they will be apt to cover you for 36 monthes. At least that has been my experience.

Right on !

I only put 13k mi on my 04...plan to drive this one much more

KEB is correct

Putting a new set of wheels and tires on your car is MODDING it! Could Ford void the warranty for that? Only if the wheel tire combo causes the problem you complaining about!

Puttin a pully on the car is NOT going to kill the warranty on the power windows or A/C! No way the pulley caused a defect in those parts. But if you have some engine or trans problem then you better be ready to fight! Ford is looking for reasons NOT to cover warranty. We are having to take pictures and get approval on most stuff we do now! If you do a tune best thing is to take it out when you take it back to the dealer! If its in the computer and Ford has an update the dealer will put the NEW update on the computer and your tune is GONE!!!

MM

MM I wish you were right bu if you talked to many of the 03/04 guys a few years ago this wasn't the simple case. We were turned away by many dealers if they popped the hood and found pulleys or tunes. For ANY issue

There are not as near as many warranty claims with the gt500's for 2 reasons in my opinion.

1.) not as many owners modding to same extent as 03/04

2.) 03/04 was the foundation that tuners and modders 'learned' on making big HP with positive displacement modular motors.

MM I wish you were right bu if you talked to many of the 03/04 guys a few years ago this wasn't the simple case. We were turned away by many dealers if they popped the hood and found pulleys or tunes. For ANY issue

There are not as near as many warranty claims with the gt500's for 2 reasons in my opinion.

1.) not as many owners modding to same extent as 03/04

2.) 03/04 was the foundation that tuners and modders 'learned' on making big HP with positive displacement modular motors.

I am sure you are right, but it doesn't make sense to me because the dealership gets paid to do warranty work! Why wouldn't they fix your power windows and get paid by Ford? Turning customers away for things like that is counterproductive. People are not going to bring their cars in for maintanence, and in severe cases, may not by another car of the same make!

Cars like mustangs and jeeps (and many others) are strongly supported by the aftermarket...this is one reason that I and many of you, like buying these types of cars!

Just my 2 cents.

keb

KEB is correct

MM

MM...have you had techs trained on the Black Box? What can you tell us about that? When I talked to a Ford guy at the Chicago Auto Show he told me it was a "tattle tell" system and would be used for warranty claims. Anything the computer "sees" will be recorded in the Black Box. A pulley, or tune would certianly be seen by the computer I would think. Wheels, exhaust...not so much.

Having a good relationship with your dealer and the service department will increase your odds if you have something fail and you have mods. Matter of fact my dealership has actually installed pullies, tune, etc...on my SVT cars and the only thing the service manager said was, "if it breaks make sure the mods are not on the car when you bring it back in"....again depends upon the dealership. But even having a good relationship you have to be prepared if you mod the car you may be on the hook for repairs. Some on these boards will tell you that Ford should repair broken parts regardless....I do not agree. They should repair parts and the car as they designed it...if you mod it then it is your design....just my opinion. Have I modded my cars....all of them....will I do it to future cars...yep!

I assume you can still get a full warranty on the 625 hp Supersnake. So why would I loose warranty if I had a Dealer or reputable Shop make those same exhaust, supercharger,brakes,tune, intake and cooling mods that are on the Supersnake without the body mods? Since these cars are not going to Shelby like in previous years what is the difference a mod is a mod?

Can you get the super snake treatment without the cosmetic changes? This would be a nice mod covered under warantee.

I don't think we can get the ss performance upgrades with out the cosmetic package also. I would like to know if we could. I also wonder why improvements such as an anti wheel hop mod which in my opinion would reduce rearend problems, would void a warranty. These are performance cars and if you drive them like a volkswagon rabbit then they will fall apart anyway. They are made to be driven hard, smoke the tires down, and catch 2nd and 3rd gear. If you don't drive like this at least occassionally why have one? Therefore, performance mods that add strength, and durability and provide protection to OEM should not void warranties of OEM parts that have not been upgraded. :shift::shift:

I spoke with my dealer today about mods to my car. He said if it was a ford racing part and the dealership installed it that my warranty would not be affected.That is not suprising the dealership has to make his money.

First let me applaud you for wanting to mod your car, its your money, your car, and if it puts a smile on your face then do it. Second, Sema and Congress created the Magnuson-Moss Act ( http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm) for one purpose only, to protect the aftermarket segment and its customers. I've dealed with BMW and Ford in regards to my cars, even having to use the Sema litigation dept. (free) in dealing with BMW. Adding any of the mods you mentioned WILL NOT void your warranty, if you have issues with your car, it is up to the dealer to proof that your mods is what's causing the trouble and they must do it in writing and providing you a copy of it. I modded my Roush with FRPP cams, headers, and CIA, I also had a temperature issue with the car (radiator), headlights (electrical), exhaust rattling (hanger) and my Shaker 500 wouldn't take any cd. Roush issued a warranty for my exhaust but the dealer refused to cover my radiator (dealer found a crack in it), headlights, and Shaker500, I handled the service manager a copy of the Mag-Moss Act and within a day he called to let me know that they are performing all the warranty work free of charge. It is best to have a good relationship with your service manager, I have friends that have no trouble with their service dept. and I have friends that have trouble because their service dept. is uneducated about the warranty coverage because it is simply easier and cheaper for them to refuse you but if you know the law it can protect you. My second incident had to do with my M3, I shifted from 3rd into 4th and my engine just popped, it had a hole a size of a baseball on the engine block and all the rods/pistons when through my exhaust. I towed the car to the dealership, they inspected it and said due to my mods (supercharger, suspension, intercooler, cia, etc.) that they will not cover the engine ($12,000). I contacted Sema's legal dept, they got in touch with the dealership, they couldn't prove that the mods caused the engine to expired (innocent until proving guilty), they flew in some big wig from BMW NA, after several days they said what caused the damage to the engine was the motor mounts. The mounts were so weak that if you corner hard and shift from 3rd to 4th, the engine will move slightly causing the tranny to move with it which when shifting into 4th, it will go into 2nd. After checking with the M3 board, I found out that many owners had the same problem, BMW issued a huge recall on the M3 and my engine was replaced under warranty. Just know the law is on your side and contact Sema if you have questions and concerns.

First let me applaud you for wanting to mod your car, its your money, your car, and if it puts a smile on your face then do it. Second, Sema and Congress created the Magnuson-Moss Act ( http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm) for one purpose only, to protect the aftermarket segment and its customers. I've dealed with BMW and Ford in regards to my cars, even having to use the Sema litigation dept. (free) in dealing with BMW. Adding any of the mods you mentioned WILL NOT void your warranty, if you have issues with your car, it is up to the dealer to proof that your mods is what's causing the trouble and they must do it in writing and providing you a copy of it. I modded my Roush with FRPP cams, headers, and CIA, I also had a temperature issue with the car (radiator), headlights (electrical), exhaust rattling (hanger) and my Shaker 500 wouldn't take any cd. Roush issued a warranty for my exhaust but the dealer refused to cover my radiator (dealer found a crack in it), headlights, and Shaker500, I handled the service manager a copy of the Mag-Moss Act and within a day he called to let me know that they are performing all the warranty work free of charge. It is best to have a good relationship with your service manager, I have friends that have no trouble with their service dept. and I have friends that have trouble because their service dept. is uneducated about the warranty coverage because it is simply easier and cheaper for them to refuse you but if you know the law it can protect you. My second incident had to do with my M3, I shifted from 3rd into 4th and my engine just popped, it had a hole a size of a baseball on the engine block and all the rods/pistons when through my exhaust. I towed the car to the dealership, they inspected it and said due to my mods (supercharger, suspension, intercooler, cia, etc.) that they will not cover the engine ($12,000). I contacted Sema's legal dept, they got in touch with the dealership, they couldn't prove that the mods caused the engine to expired (innocent until proving guilty), they flew in some big wig from BMW NA, after several days they said what caused the damage to the engine was the motor mounts. The mounts were so weak that if you corner hard and shift from 3rd to 4th, the engine will move slightly causing the tranny to move with it which when shifting into 4th, it will go into 2nd. After checking with the M3 board, I found out that many owners had the same problem, BMW issued a huge recall on the M3 and my engine was replaced under warranty. Just know the law is on your side and contact Sema if you have questions and concerns.

8camaro thanks for the valable info. I just want to make a few minor mods to get me to around 560 to 580 rwhp and lower the car for a more aggressive look. I want to adress the wheel hop also, you know these dealers they want to make a quick dollar and not be responsible for anything.

Archived