TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CSX7076 has been ordered

MY500SS

So far everything you Cobra brothers have told me has come true. It's been a learning experience that's for sure.

Thanks to all for the priceless advise.

You'll be done when one day you take it for a spirited drive and say "It's scary enough".

Remember that Cosby's routine was a documentary.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least you're getting yours back, mine is still down. The oil cooler arrived, but instead of being brand new it was very old, bent up and the AN fittings were worn out & would never have sealed. So, now I'm about about twice the original amount buying one from a different person (again in England) but this one is straight from the manufacturer, hopefully it is right. Then to tackle the ignition problem and get the push out of the front end. OH, and need to rejet the Webers, but the jets are on backorder.

Nope, it never ends.....

You'll be done when one day you take it for a spirited drive and say "It's scary enough".

Remember that Cosby's routine was a documentary.

I think you hit it on the head................when she scares me, she'll be perfect.

I do remember the Cosby bit ............................... hilarious stuff :hysterical::hysterical:

At least you're getting yours back, mine is still down. The oil cooler arrived, but instead of being brand new it was very old, bent up and the AN fittings were worn out & would never have sealed. So, now I'm about about twice the original amount buying one from a different person (again in England) but this one is straight from the manufacturer, hopefully it is right. Then to tackle the ignition problem and get the push out of the front end. OH, and need to rejet the Webers, but the jets are on backorder.

Nope, it never ends.....

Sorry to hear this John.................................after spending 500 pounds you think the cooler would be new.

Best of luck brother.

It was sold to me as being brand new, an "unused" spare for his race car. Yet the AN fittings were totally worn out and it leaked oil all over the inside of the box it was shipped in, without any packing material to keep it from being destroyed in shipping. At least I did get my money back, after eating $83 to ship it back.

So now I ordered one from the manufacturer, hopefully it is right.

Congrats on getting yours back, I hope it is right this time. You were so fortunate that you got to wring it out in Vegas and take it back to Tom without having to trailer it back from LA.

It was sold to me as being brand new, an "unused" spare for his race car. Yet the AN fittings were totally worn out and it leaked oil all over the inside of the box it was shipped in, without any packing material to keep it from being destroyed in shipping. At least I did get my money back, after eating $83 to ship it back.

So now I ordered one from the manufacturer, hopefully it is right.

Congrats on getting yours back, I hope it is right this time. You were so fortunate that you got to wring it out in Vegas and take it back to Tom without having to trailer it back from LA.

Tom and his team at Speedway Classic have done a great job. Your right........we're very fortunate to have everyone involved so close to each other.

Good luck with 7506

Well..........she's still leaking oil :banghead: . Not enough to drip but just enough to bug me. Tom's thinking the pan may have an issue so he's pulling that to take a look.

I've been warned by many here that this is never ending..............so I'll take it in stride and keep a :D (damn it all to hell).

Well..........she's still leaking oil :banghead: . Not enough to drip but just enough to bug me. Tom's thinking the pan may have an issue so he's pulling that to take a look.

I've been warned by many here that this is never ending..............so I'll take it in stride and keep a :D (damn it all to hell).

You've got to remember, these are 1965 cars. In 1965 engines weren't manufactured to the tolerances of today. My comment to someone with a side oiler that was leaking was "I'd be more concerned if it wasn't. That would mean it's dry."

Cobras (due to their power trains) are a tinkerer's dream. If you like leaning over the fender with the hood open you'll love it. The great thing is they are so simple that you can do literally everything yourself. I love an engine with only a water pump/fan, alternator and crankshaft on the front of the engine and transmission on the back. My fan belt broke and I went to the local hardware store and found a replacement. Try that with your 2008 Mustang. :)

P.S. New versions of old engines have higher compression than the originals (e.g., my Roush 427 is a 10.5:1 version of a 351W) and will also burn oil at a rate of about a quart in 1000 miles.

You've got to remember, these are 1965 cars. In 1965 engines weren't manufactured to the tolerances of today. My comment to someone with a side oiler that was leaking was "I'd be more concerned if it wasn't. That would mean it's dry."

Cobras (due to their power trains) are a tinkerer's dream. If you like leaning over the fender with the hood open you'll love it. The great thing is they are so simple that you can do literally everything yourself. I love an engine with only a water pump/fan, alternator and crankshaft on the front of the engine and transmission on the back. My fan belt broke and I went to the local hardware store and found a replacement. Try that with your 2008 Mustang. :)

P.S. New versions of old engines have higher compression than the originals (e.g., my Roush 427 is a 10.5:1 version of a 351W) and will also burn oil at a rate of about a quart in 1000 miles.

"That would mean it's dry.".......... too funny :hysterical:.

The issues that come with the Cobra are what they are and I won't sell her because of it. I'm just thankful I have access to a lift.

How's the FGT hunt going Tony??

In case nobody mentioned it to you, the rear end will leak for a while as it seeks its level. If you keep adding fluid it will never stop puking lube. Once it finds its proper level the leaking stops.

Thanks for the heads up John.......I'll remember that.

How's the FGT hunt going Tony??

The FGT hunt is easy. The Cobra sale isn't.

When the Cobra sells I'll have a FGT in short order. As far as I know the Heritage is still available (first choice) and another 2006 silver-gray (whatever they called it) came up last week for right on the money.

Edit: The silver gray in 2006 was called Tungsten. Wasn't the same color used on GT500's a few years later?

The FGT hunt is easy. The Cobra sale isn't.

When the Cobra sells I'll have a FGT in short order. As far as I know the Heritage is still available (first choice) and another 2006 silver-gray (whatever they called it) came up last week for right on the money.

Best of luck with the sale brother.................. the Heritage would be real cool to own.

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to Tom yesterday...................new rope seal is in and the engine is going back in the car Monday.

If all looks good, I'll pick her up Wednesday or Thursday.........please no leaks....please no leaks....please no leaks.

No leaks, are Santa and the Easter bunny going to fix it for you??? :hysterical:

Leaks on these are expected, they add character, at least that's what I keep telling myself. Wait until you get leaks you can't identify: 4391 has a very colorful leak in the area of the rear-end/fuel tank that is bright flourescent green, we can't even figure out what it is much less where it's coming from. 7506 has had drops of deep red fluid on the oil pan, what appears to be ATF, but of course there's no ATF and no fluid of any kind even close to that color in the car.

4391 is getting a new transmission right now because of the leaks from it. Now to figure out what that green stuff is..... :confused:

No leaks, are Santa and the Easter bunny going to fix it for you??? :hysterical:

Leaks on these are expected, they add character, at least that's what I keep telling myself. Wait until you get leaks you can't identify: 4391 has a very colorful leak in the area of the rear-end/fuel tank that is bright flourescent green, we can't even figure out what it is much less where it's coming from. 7506 has had drops of deep red fluid on the oil pan, what appears to be ATF, but of course there's no ATF and no fluid of any kind even close to that color in the car.

4391 is getting a new transmission right now because of the leaks from it. Now to figure out what that green stuff is..... :confused:

Too funny....... :hysterical2: . That explains why Tom chuckled when I asked about no leaks.

This Cobra is still a learning process for me............sooner or later I'll be just a looney as the other Cobra owners. :kuko:

Well, we're going to give this another try...................headed to Vegas Thursday to pick 7076 up.

I'm told we're not leaking with the new rope seal............................so far.

Well, we're going to give this another try...................headed to Vegas Thursday to pick 7076 up.

I'm told we're not leaking with the new rope seal............................so far.

You could always have it shipped to KS... My garage floor has enough "spots" on it already, I would never notice any leaks :finger:

Well.......7076 is home.

Fuel spilling from vent.................fixed. Bad safety valve in fuel cell.

Fuel leak from pump...................fixed. Bad fuel pump.

Oil leak...........................................not fixed. After replacing the sleeved crank and trying 3 different seal types, she still leaks. Not as bad but still a leak.

So now it's time to get my hands dirty and see what I can do. I'm going to pull the engine, take her apart and machine the block to allow for a one piece rear main seal. If that doesn't work, I'll give my back up 289 block a try.

On a side note, Tom at Speedway Classic Cars wasn't ready to give up. But with the costs going up and no end in sight, I ( Marji ) had to put a stop to it.

Well.......7076 is home.

Fuel spilling from vent.................fixed. Bad safety valve in fuel cell.

Fuel leak from pump...................fixed. Bad fuel pump.

Oil leak...........................................not fixed. After replacing the sleeved crank and trying 3 different seal types, she still leaks. Not as bad but still a leak.

So now it's time to get my hands dirty and see what I can do. I'm going to pull the engine, take her apart and machine the block to allow for a one piece rear main seal. If that doesn't work, I'll give my back up 289 block a try.

On a side note, Tom at Speedway Classic Cars wasn't ready to give up. But with the costs going up and no end in sight, I ( Marji ) had to put a stop to it.

Wait a minute. It's a new engine and the builder isn't going to stand by it? That's a big problem. Not good for Shelby American either if the network will get rollers but won't stand by the finished product. I think another dealer was pulled because of this.

Wait a minute. It's a new engine and the builder isn't going to stand by it? That's a big problem. Not good for Shelby American either if the network will get rollers but won't stand by the finished product. I think another dealer was pulled because of this.

Hey Tony,

Engine builder offered to take it back and work on it, but I chose to keep it here. I have a trust issue because of the sub-par crank they installed. Build list stated Scat crank, received a cheap knock off that was damaged during balancing. Instead of replacing, they sleeved it. I'm keeping receipts and working on reimbursement.

I will be going to the dealer about the fuel cell and fuel pump problem. Should be able to get that money back.

Pulled the plug at 8k....................... :banghead: . Had to before the :slapfight: started between Marji and I.

I had something like $12K in mine to get it running right. Then the clutch fiasco added to it. Cobras are like Ferraris - you want to buy one while it is still under warranty and drive the p*** out of it so you find all of those pesky issues before the warranty runs out. These aren't mass produced vehicles and WILL have some rough edges.

The safety valve and fuel pump should be warrantied by SAI, they should reimburse Tom for the repairs.

I guess I'm lucky, my builder stands behind virtually anything. He's replacing the transmission in 4391 because he didn't like the leaks, I took it to him for something totally unrelated.

I will be going to the dealer about the fuel cell and fuel pump problem. Should be able to get that money back.

Pulled the plug at 8k....................... :banghead: . Had to before the :slapfight: started between Marji and I.

So sorry to hear that this car is/has turned into a time consuming never ending money pit.

As long as your having fun, that's all that matters. :headscratch:

I'm confused. :confused:

Are you still bringing the car to the Meet & Greet ?

Archived