TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CSX7076 has been ordered

MY500SS

Well it's been ordered. 289 FIA Cobra, CSX# 7076 :happy feet: :happy feet: . Engine build is finished, a 289 out of a 1965 Mustang, completely rebuilt and bored to 347ci, putting out 430HP.

My original plan was to go with the Kirkham aluminum body, but due to a downturn in business, and my desire NOT to sell my SS, I chose to go with SAI's fiberglass body.

I'll post pics of the build as I get them.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SHOTGUN :happy feet:

That's of course if Marji lets me :hysterical:

cust012.jpg

Gregg

07SGT0547

Shotgun heck, you can take her for laps in Vegas, the Cobra not Marji :hysterical: .

Nice pic Gregg, thanks for posting.

Congrats! You'll love it! It is all the fun you can legally have sitting in a chair in public.

Do you have an ETA for the roller, and how long do you think it'll take you to finish it?

Thanks. Rollers ETA is January and she should be complete mid March.

Thanks Alex. Color is a tough one, the two colors I'm considering are Guardsman Blue or Navy Blue.

It's final, the color will be Guardsman Blue with a Wimbledon White transverse nose stripe happy%20feet.gif.

It's final, the color will be Guardsman Blue with a Wimbledon White transverse nose stripe happy%20feet.gif.

You are correct!

Someday, mine will have to be repainted - and based on the front part of the rear wheel wells, two years or so (about 10K miles) min will be Guardsman blue with white stripes. There is no other answer.

You're gonna be scared the first time you drive it for real :) Just remember, Cosby was right.

One day, you're going to be driving down the road, downshift to make a turn, and you will be surprised when your butt is in front of your nose. Cosby was right - 200MPH.. Sideways.

Also, are you going to get the roundels? Mine isn't quite right -the side ones have lights (correct for the FIA races) but the front should also have one. For all the details the original owner got right, I'm surprised he didn't get that one.

You are correct!

Someday, mine will have to be repainted - and based on the front part of the rear wheel wells, two years or so (about 10K miles) min will be Guardsman blue with white stripes. There is no other answer.

You're gonna be scared the first time you drive it for real :) Just remember, Cosby was right.

One day, you're going to be driving down the road, downshift to make a turn, and you will be surprised when your butt is in front of your nose. Cosby was right - 200MPH.. Sideways.

We almost went with British Racing Green with green nose stripe. Looks cool and very very few in that combo. But in the end I decided to go Guardsman Blue. Lots of them in that combo.

Yeah, I need to learn how to drive this one. Completely different from what other owners have told me, thanks.

Also, are you going to get the roundels? Mine isn't quite right -the side ones have lights (correct for the FIA races) but the front should also have one. For all the details the original owner got right, I'm surprised he didn't get that one.

Were staying as close to original FIA as possible. One thing I'm adding is a quick release steering wheel. These cars look like hell to get into for a big guy like myself, so a good friend at SAI recommended I add that.

How's your beauties running, getting lots of :shift: time I hope.

A big congratulations to you Dan! That's great news. It's also great that you were able to pull it off without having to sell your Super Snake. As far as getting the fiberglass bodied car, don't be too dissapointed because Superformance does an awesome job making them. The other good thing about fiberglass is that it won't transfer the engine and exhaust heat through the body and the cockpit like aluminum does.

Even though the original Cobras were aluminum bodied cars, if AC Bristol had made the bodies in fiberglass back then, I bet that Carroll still would have used their car. Remember, back in the early sixties, fiberglass was primarly being used in marine applications, and the only mass produced fiberglassed body car was the Vette. If fiberglass had come into it's own back then like carbon fiber is now, I suspect that there would be more fiberglass bodied sports cars in the sixes.

Regardless of all that, congratulations to you and Marji again, and I look forward to seeing both of you and the car when it's completed.

Hey one more thing; are you running a four barrel or fuel injection? You may have said so in your post, but I didn't notice.

Did you go through one of the Shelby dealers or direct to Shelby in Las Vegas for the CSX7000. I want to do one as had a Kirkham FIA in the past and hated the bare aluminum.

I went through Dynamic Auto West for the roller. A good friend is using them and is having great service. I bet that bare aluminum was a job to keep clean and scratch free.

A big congratulations to you Dan! That's great news. It also great that you were able to pull it off without having to sell your Super Snake. As far as getting the fiberglass bodied car, don't be too dissapointed because Superformance does an awesome job making them. The other good thing about fiberglass is that it won't transfer the engine and exhaust heat through the body and the cockpit like aluminum does.

Even though the original Cobras were aluminum bodied cars, if AC Bristol had made the bodies in fiberglass back then, I bet that Carroll still would have used their car. Remember, back in the early sixties, fiberglass was primarly being used in marine applications, and the only mass produced fiberglassed body car was the Vette. If fiberglass had come into it's own back then like carbon fiber is now, I suspect that there would be more fiberglass bodied sports cars in the sixes.

Regardless of all that, congratulations to you and Marji again, and I look forward to seeing both of you and the car when it's completed.

Hey one more thing; are you running a four barrel or fuel injection? You may have said so in your post, but I didn't notice.

Thanks Enis. Selling the SS to do aluminum or keep her and do fiberglass was a tough call for me to make. It was Marji that slapped me and said "wake up stupid, you love the SS, so don't sell it". I also had a chance to visit with Bud and some of the Cobra team at SAI. They took time to point out the pros and cons for me. That was a BIG BIG help in making the choice to go fiberglass, thanks SAI.

I'm running a fuel injection system from Dynatek Vehicle Development (D.V.D.). Very cool looking. I'll post pics of the set up next week.

See you Sunday?

like your color choice, enjoy the CSX and respect the power to weight ratio. like Tony said it doesn't take much to spin the back end around.

CSX 4970 (482 Shelby FE/Super Charged)

005.jpg

Thanks. That's a great color combo you have. I think it will look perfect on my 289. Yeah, the power to weight ratio will take some getting use to. 430hp in a 2300 lb car..................SCARY.

Were staying as close to original FIA as possible. One thing I'm adding is a quick release steering wheel. These cars look like hell to get into for a big guy like myself, so a good friend at SAI recommended I add that.

How's your beauties running, getting lots of :shift: time I hope.

the quick release helps, just make sure they keep the steeling column up to the dash cut out. you may not use the quick release then. it worked for me.

the quick release helps, just make sure they keep the steeling column up to the dash cut out. you may not use the quick release then. it worked for me.

I'll talk with SAI about that. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks Enis. Selling the SS to do aluminum or keep her and do fiberglass was a tough call for me to make. It was Marji that slapped me and said "wake up stupid, you love the SS, so don't sell it". I also had a chance to visit with Bud and some of the Cobra team at SAI. They took time to point out the pros and cons for me. That was a BIG BIG help in making the choice to go fiberglass, thanks SAI.

I'm running a fuel injection system from Dynatek Vehicle Development (D.V.D.). Very cool looking. I'll post pics of the set up next week.

See you Sunday?

Yup, I'll see you Sunday.

Thanks. That's a great color combo you have. I think it will look perfect on my 289. Yeah, the power to weight ratio will take some getting use to. 430hp in a 2300 lb car..................SCARY.

See here about progress:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46094

My personal opinion is that the originals were probably well balanced. Overpowered, yes, but not horribly so. A real 427FE is good for about 450HP. At sea level with fuel injection I'm definitely doing over the 550 that Roush has in their spec.

You will have to learn to drive all over again. When you do you'll love it!

If you have a torquey engine, one of the rules is: Transmission Go, Brakes Slow. I've always downshifted to slow down. Not with this engine. That is what makes the laws of physics get repealed, at least momentarily, and results in going backwards down the highway :)

Dan

Congrats man, this is really cool!

Is your motor an oversquare bore? I've heard that by moving the power band up in RPMs, really helps with driveability in these cars.

Guardsman Blue is a great choice. I had a 64 K code Fairlane in that color and loved it.

Michael

See here about progress:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46094

My personal opinion is that the originals were probably well balanced. Overpowered, yes, but not horribly so. A real 427FE is good for about 450HP. At sea level with fuel injection I'm definitely doing over the 550 that Roush has in their spec.

You will have to learn to drive all over again. When you do you'll love it!

If you have a torquey engine, one of the rules is: Transmission Go, Brakes Slow. I've always downshifted to slow down. Not with this engine. That is what makes the laws of physics get repealed, at least momentarily, and results in going backwards down the highway :)

Thanks for the link. Sounds like you have been busy making some improvements on your Cobra, nice.

I'll need to work on being more efficient on heel-toe downshifting. Otherwise, it will be as you said "going backwards down the highway".

Thanks for the tip.

Dan

I use to clean the Kirkham FIA with stainless sink cleaner which worked pretty well. Once in a while I needed to take a scratch pad to it but at the end of the day didn't like the bare aluminum. If I would of kept the car it would of been painted.

Was wondering if the CSX7000 rollers (fiberglass) are more expensive than the CSX 4000 now CSX 6000 fiberglass cars? There are a bunch of rollers CSX 4000/6000 cars out there for $ 49K and now I have seen a few at $ 47K ie pretty much done except for the motor, trans, MSD and bolt on stuff. Is the CSX 7000 more than these???

I use to clean the Kirkham FIA with stainless sink cleaner which worked pretty well. Once in a while I needed to take a scratch pad to it but at the end of the day didn't like the bare aluminum. If I would of kept the car it would of been painted.

Was wondering if the CSX7000 rollers (fiberglass) are more expensive than the CSX 4000 now CSX 6000 fiberglass cars? There are a bunch of rollers CSX 4000/6000 cars out there for $ 49K and now I have seen a few at $ 47K ie pretty much done except for the motor, trans, MSD and bolt on stuff. Is the CSX 7000 more than these???

Man, that's a full time job to keep her clean.

The 7000 series costs more due to fewer demand. It makes sense to me, the higher numbers ordered, the cheaper it will cost to produce. The difference is not that much, about 7k more for the 7000 series.

Archived