TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CSX7076 has been ordered

MY500SS

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got tne Billboards on and I like the look much better. The Goodyear Eagles ride nicer but you can't beat the looks of the Billboards.

P1010190.jpg

SO that's why you let me drive your car... Just so you could take a picture of it out on the track??? Talk about being taken advantage of slapfight.gif

Oh, and my Mom was still giggling about the Parade Laps during the 1,350 mile ride back to KC shift.gif

Take Care my friend!

Gregg

07SGT0547

SO that's why you let me drive your car... Just so you could take a picture of it out on the track??? Talk about being taken advantage of slapfight.gif

Oh, and my Mom was still giggling about the Parade Laps during the 1,350 mile ride back to KC shift.gif

Take Care my friend!

Gregg

07SGT0547

Im hoping to see that video footage Dan took.....cause Im still giggling and grining like a schoolgirl after being the "luckiest guy on earth"

getting the opportunity to drive 7076 on track for 2 sessions.......

we have been friends for a few years Dan.......but you outdid yourself this time......thank you my brother, thank you so much.

"Here....take the keys to my Cobra and race it on the track"

A sentence surely I never dreamed I had a chance of hearing.......let alone being directed at me.

Building memories of a lifetime with my Shelby family..........I will never forget......

7076 is a very special ride.......fitting for such wonderful people as you and Marji.........

I will always be honored to call you my brother. :salute:

Take Care my friend!

Gregg

07SGT0547

I've been found out ...................... :ninja: .

Turns out two of my favorite pics of the Cobra is with Michael at the wheel and this one of you and your mom.........perfect profile of 7076.

Im hoping to see that video footage Dan took.....cause Im still giggling and grining like a schoolgirl after being the "luckiest guy on earth"

getting the opportunity to drive 7076 on track for 2 sessions.......

we have been friends for a few years Dan.......but you outdid yourself this time......thank you my brother, thank you so much.

"Here....take the keys to my Cobra and race it on the track"

A sentence surely I never dreamed I had a chance of hearing.......let alone being directed at me.

Building memories of a lifetime with my Shelby family..........I will never forget......

7076 is a very special ride.......fitting for such wonderful people as you and Marji.........

I will always be honored to call you my brother. :salute:

Anytime my brother. Marji and I are very fortunate to be able to call you and your lovely wife Dale our dear friends. :grouphug:

The vid...... :hide: .....forgot all about it. I'll work on that as soon as I get home.

• 1 month later...

So 7076 is still in Vegas since the Bash. Tom at Speedway Classic Cars has the car to fix the fuel leak I was having during the track events.

Well the fuel leak is repaired (bad safety valve in the fuel cell) but Tom found that the rear main seal was leaking. Not all that bad but enough to warrant replacing. So we pulled the engine, removed the oil pan and what did we find………the brand new Scat crank has a repair sleeve on the rear hub. :banghead:

Seems the engine builder damaged the sealing surface of the crank and decided to repair it with a stainless sleeve. Would have worked except he didn't grind the hub down before installing the sleeve. This created a hub diameter to large that in turn killed the rear main seal after running a few hundred miles.

So now, Tom is tearing the engine apart, replacing the crank, bearings and anything else we find suspect, all on the engine builder's dime.

The fun never ends.

Here's a pic of the crank showing the sleeved hub.

Sealleak3.jpg

So 7076 is still in Vegas since the Bash. Tom at Speedway Classic Cars has the car to fix the fuel leak I was having during the track events.

Well the fuel leak is repaired (bad safety valve in the fuel cell) but Tom found that the rear main seal was leaking. Not all that bad but enough to warrant replacing. So we pulled the engine, removed the oil pan and what did we find………the brand new Scat crank has a repair sleeve on the rear hub. :banghead:

Seems the engine builder damaged the sealing surface of the crank and decided to repair it with a stainless sleeve. Would have worked except he didn't grind the hub down before installing the sleeve. This created a hub diameter to large that in turn killed the rear main seal after running a few hundred miles.

So now, Tom is tearing the engine apart, replacing the crank, bearings and anything else we find suspect, all on the engine builder's dime.

The fun never ends.

Here's a pic of the crank showing the sleeved hub.

One of the things you need to understand about a Cobra: It's not a factory built car. If your engine were a 5.0L Coyote you'd be able to put it in and have it go like a Taurus. But these are pretty custom power trains. There is some care and feeding necessary. I know of noone, you and me included, that doesn't take some shake-down time to get it "worked out". It took me a over a year to get my engine running right.

Good luck!

Tony

One of the things you need to understand about a Cobra: It's not a factory built car. If your engine were a 5.0L Coyote you'd be able to put it in and have it go like a Taurus. But these are pretty custom power trains. There is some care and feeding necessary. I know of no one, you and me included, that doesn't take some shake-down time to get it "worked out". It took me a over a year to get my engine running right.

Good luck!

Tony

Thanks Tony. I'm learning as I go.

I'll keep putting out these little fires by throwing more money at it..............hopefully I'll put them all out before running out of money :hysterical:

Dan, and Tony,

You have way more patience then me. I could never own one of these cars due to the stress it would cause me and besides that, I could never afford the costs to shake one down and maintain it. My hats off to you for enduring the issues the cars put you thru. I'm glad the fun is worth the pain.

I guess I'm just a pussy. I like the fun with out the pain. :hysterical:

Dan, and Tony,

You have way more patience then me. I could never own one of these cars due to the stress it would cause me and besides that, I could never afford the costs to shake one down and maintain it. My hats off to you for enduring the issues the cars put you thru. I'm glad the fun is worth the pain.

Thanks Rob.

So far the fun is NOT worth the pain...............but I'm told by many it will be someday. So for now I'll stay patient and keep the faith.

Dan, and Tony,

Cobras are a tinkerer's dream. There's always something to do :) Part of that pleasure is derived from Lucas electrical systems :)

Some people won't tolerate it. However, the "work" of doing all the mods on a Mustang is almost the same thing. You can spend every weekend with your car (no matter what it is) if you want.

The difference is that on the Cobra I can do most of it myself. It's a very simple setup (as would be a 65 Mustang) unlike any modern vehicle. I can't even find the spark plugs in my truck. Heck, I didn't even know there were two plugs per cylinder in the dang thing.

Example: The Cobra radiator got beat up by rocks and stuff. The aluminum fins are exposed and very soft. It also got a rock-induced pinhole leak ("weep") that Silver Seal would fix for a while so I decided to replace it. It took me about 3 hours total to R&R it, which included pulling the expansion tank and replacing the thermostat.

Dan, that reminds me: While they've got it apart consider a thermo up to 180*. Mine never warmed up well - the radiator and fans are so efficient. The engine will cycle at the thermo temp.

Cobras are a tinkerer's dream. There's always something to do :) Part of that pleasure is derived from Lucas electrical systems :)

Some people won't tolerate it. However, the "work" of doing all the mods on a Mustang is almost the same thing. You can spend every weekend with your car (no matter what it is) if you want.

The difference is that on the Cobra I can do most of it myself. It's a very simple setup (as would be a 65 Mustang) unlike any modern vehicle. I can't even find the spark plugs in my truck. Heck, I didn't even know there were two plugs per cylinder in the dang thing.

Example: The Cobra radiator got beat up by rocks and stuff. The aluminum fins are exposed and very soft. It also got a rock-induced pinhole leak ("weep") that Silver Seal would fix for a while so I decided to replace it. It took me about 3 hours total to R&R it, which included pulling the expansion tank and replacing the thermostat.

Dan, that reminds me: While they've got it apart consider a thermo up to 180*. Mine never warmed up well - the radiator and fans are so efficient. The engine will cycle at the thermo temp.

Thanks Tony...................... great tip.

Thanks Tony...................... great tip.

I rarely drive it with the inside puller fan on. The two pusher fans do most of the work. If it is really warm out or I'm in slow stop-and-go traffic it will warm up enough that I turn it on. But when on the road the pusher fans, airflow and radiator take care of most of the cooling.

The oil temp might also seem low. It takes mine a while to warm up. Again, I think it's the oil cooler. Some folks put in a thermostatic oil cooler bypass. I've noodled on it but I have a photo scanning project that is taking my cold weather inside time.

Oh, on the radiator. I've got the materials to construct a screen. I bought some screening at the hardware store and can fabricate a removable screen. I'll get some medium rod, bend it to shape at the top and bottom, roll it over and weave it closed, then I'll attach some wire clamps to the aluminum on the bottom around the oil cooler and top by the fan, and on the sides. Then the insert will attach with tie wraps. It can be removed for shows but will keep the radiator from getting dinged up too much.

I'm almost certain that most of the dings came from bugs not rocks as there are no dings on the cowlings around the front. We have some pretty big bugs around here.

Lucas electrics earned Lucas their nickname in England...."The prince of darkness".

Don't feel too bad Dan, I don't know if you saw 7506 go up in smoke on the track in Vegas, I think you were on the track when it happened. Between that and oil temps hitting 300 degrees things weren't all rosy in my trailer either!

The smoke was a stupid mistake by my engine builder too, he put the wrong front crank seal in and it FELL OUT on the track. The oil temps have been a bit costlier to fix, my builder insisted that it didn't need an oil cooler so now I'm putting one in.

I rarely drive it with the inside puller fan on. The two pusher fans do most of the work. If it is really warm out or I'm in slow stop-and-go traffic it will warm up enough that I turn it on. But when on the road the pusher fans, airflow and radiator take care of most of the cooling.

The oil temp might also seem low. It takes mine a while to warm up. Again, I think it's the oil cooler. Some folks put in a thermostatic oil cooler bypass. I've noodled on it but I have a photo scanning project that is taking my cold weather inside time.

Oh, on the radiator. I've got the materials to construct a screen. I bought some screening at the hardware store and can fabricate a removable screen. I'll get some medium rod, bend it to shape at the top and bottom, roll it over and weave it closed, then I'll attach some wire clamps to the aluminum on the bottom around the oil cooler and top by the fan, and on the sides. Then the insert will attach with tie wraps. It can be removed for shows but will keep the radiator from getting dinged up too much.

I'm almost certain that most of the dings came from bugs not rocks as there are no dings on the cowlings around the front. We have some pretty big bugs around here.

No pusher fans on 7076. The inside puller seems to be working great. I like the radiator screen idea. Please post up some pics of your work.

No pusher fans on 7076. The inside puller seems to be working great. I like the radiator screen idea. Please post up some pics of your work.

I guess I'd never looked that close. The outside fans might be a 427-ism. If you only have the one fan then switching the thermostat might not be necessary. But my engine temp never got above 80*C (about 160*F). I don't that that's warm enough for good long term.

I'll do the screen thing after I'm done with taxes (which is next weekend's task).

Lucas electrics earned Lucas their nickname in England...."The prince of darkness".

Don't feel too bad Dan, I don't know if you saw 7506 go up in smoke on the track in Vegas, I think you were on the track when it happened. Between that and oil temps hitting 300 degrees things weren't all rosy in my trailer either!

The smoke was a stupid mistake by my engine builder too, he put the wrong front crank seal in and it FELL OUT on the track. The oil temps have been a bit costlier to fix, my builder insisted that it didn't need an oil cooler so now I'm putting one in.

Hey John,

I knew about oil temps north of 200 but not 300. Looking forward to seeing how and where you add the oil cooler because that my next project. I'm at a loss for words with regards to the seal falling out......that's a real head shaker man.

How did 7506 handle the rock chips in front of the rear hips? . 7076 is beat all to heck...........working on yet another paint job.

I ordered the oil cooler from England, the perfectly correct cooler that will (allegedly) bolt right up to the tabs on the frame. It was a bit spendy at 500 POUNDS, not including the lines, block adaptor or remote filter mount. The nose on mine will have to come apart inside, because there is no way to get it in otherwise. There is no oil cooler bulge on my car just a slot in the slanted nose much wider and shorter than the 427 cars. Depending on the cooler dimensions you need I have a few places to suggest, most are much more reasonable than what I did.

I honestly haven't looked at my fenders, but I don't think there's any damage to speak of. I will get some type of protective film to go on the outside of the fenders in back before it hits the track again. You can get the film precut to fit 427's, but I don't know if it will fit your or my car, it's available in clear and black. Black is suggested for covering existing chips, clear for undamaged fenders. You can probably get a local car shop that does the clear bras to do your fenders, probably not a lot of bucks as they can probably use pieces of scrap. I've never asked but perhaps they can get that material in colors.

Hey John,

I knew about oil temps north of 200 but not 300. Looking forward to seeing how and where you add the oil cooler because that my next project. I'm at a loss for words with regards to the seal falling out......that's a real head shaker man.

How did 7506 handle the rock chips in front of the rear hips? . 7076 is beat all to heck...........working on yet another paint job.

I ordered the oil cooler from England, the perfectly correct cooler that will (allegedly) bolt right up to the tabs on the frame. It was a bit spendy at 500 POUNDS, not including the lines, block adaptor or remote filter mount. The nose on mine will have to come apart inside, because there is no way to get it in otherwise. There is no oil cooler bulge on my car just a slot in the slanted nose much wider and shorter than the 427 cars. Depending on the cooler dimensions you need I have a few places to suggest, most are much more reasonable than what I did.

I honestly haven't looked at my fenders, but I don't think there's any damage to speak of. I will get some type of protective film to go on the outside of the fenders in back before it hits the track again. You can get the film precut to fit 427's, but I don't know if it will fit your or my car, it's available in clear and black. Black is suggested for covering existing chips, clear for undamaged fenders. You can probably get a local car shop that does the clear bras to do your fenders, probably not a lot of bucks as they can probably use pieces of scrap. I've never asked but perhaps they can get that material in colors.

500 Pounds for the cooler alone.....OUCH, but I understand the need for the correct English oil cooler for these cars.

Thanks for the tips on the protective film. I'll be sure to get that done before any more track days.

Wow Dan, sounds like the fun never ends... Hopefully 7076 will be up and running properly soon.

I myself ran into a bit of frustration Friday while trying to install a transcooler on the SGT. A trip to urgent care and 6 stitches on my left index fingertip later . :censored:

Good news is she should be all done by noon tomorrow. My friend Bill just has to run the two lines and then we can put the front bumper cover back on & be done.

Blood, sweat and tears really do go into our cars... :hysterical:

Dan

Wow Dan, sounds like the fun never ends... Hopefully 7076 will be up and running properly soon.

I myself ran into a bit of frustration Friday while trying to install a transcooler on the SGT. A trip to urgent care and 6 stitches on my left index fingertip later . :censored:

Good news is she should be all done by noon tomorrow. My friend Bill just has to run the two lines and then we can put the front bumper cover back on & be done.

Blood, sweat and tears really do go into our cars... :hysterical:

Dan

OUCH...........dang brother............sounds like your ready to give an arm and a leg for performance. :hysterical2:

Thanks Dan.....hope your finger heals real quick.

• 1 month later...

Finally picking up 7076 next week..................hopefully this will take care of the issues that popped up during the Bash.

You're working the general trend of a Cobra.

During the first year of ownership it will spend much more time in someone else's garage than yours.

It takes a lot of time and patience to get them "sorted out". Each iteration gets it running a little better. And finally it's perfect - all the pieces of the jigsaw fit together, missing pieces found and incoreectly installed pieces correct and it has all the power and handling a Cobra should have. And just about that time your wife will decide she won't get in it. :( It was OK to her until "crippled mode" got fixed. Then it was over... When I could finally drive it the way it was intended she wouldn't go for it.

You're working the general trend of a Cobra.

During the first year of ownership it will spend much more time in someone else's garage than yours.

It takes a lot of time and patience to get them "sorted out". Each iteration gets it running a little better. And finally it's perfect - all the pieces of the jigsaw fit together, missing pieces found and incoreectly installed pieces correct and it has all the power and handling a Cobra should have. And just about that time your wife will decide she won't get in it. :( It was OK to her until "crippled mode" got fixed. Then it was over... When I could finally drive it the way it was intended she wouldn't go for it.

So far everything you Cobra brothers have told me has come true. It's been a learning experience that's for sure.

Thanks to all for the priceless advise.

Archived