TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Whipple 400 hp

I'm curious about this also. Perhaps by adding the intercooler you may be able to turn that 400 kit into the 550? Seems like a big jump, but that's how the Paxtons work. The blowers themselves are identical from non-cooled to intercooled kits. And one can attain the advertised HP of the high output kit, by simply adding the intercooler to the non-cooled kit at any time. :lurk:

Ken

From what Ive read, you can add the kit afterwards. It comes complete for more HP.

My research showed the same thing, its just a new tune and a smaller pulley once the intercooler is installed. The only problem with this is the extra cost. 400HP kit is $5,000 (or so) and the intercooler kit is $2,500 (or so). By my calculation that is $1,000 more than the 550HP kit. I hope thi helps,

Jim

Thanks guys. I was more curious to just add the inter cooler later and leave the hp alone. Do't ned much more than 400 or so.

Maybe I should be asking if the 550 whipple can be tuned to 400 or so? That gets the inter-cooler.

Thanks guys. I was more curious to just add the inter cooler later and leave the hp alone. Do't ned much more than 400 or so.

Maybe I should be asking if the 550 whipple can be tuned to 400 or so? That gets the inter-cooler.

I talked with Bud a few months back, I was going to go with the Whipple, and he said I could put the big pulley on the 500-550 kit and bring the power wherever I wanted it. So you could get the 550 kit and tune it to whatever you want, but also leave it open to up the HP if you ever needed it. (without the extra cost) This is the exact reason I went with the Edelbrock, it is an intercooled supercharger and with a pulley and a GT500 fuel pump, I could bump it as high as 600 hp. Either way, I think your recent thought is going to be the best for you, you would leave yourself wide open for the future with the 550hp kit. Either way, best of luck!

Jim

I just remembered, I started a thread about the 400hp vs the 550 hp kit... this may have some good info on it for you. Plus there is a guy (Horsbyt)with the 400HP kit and its a beast, plus he seems like a very helpful guy. Either way, here you go:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...c=42823&hl=

Good reading thanks

I have the 400hp kit and an intercooler can be added to it. All the fittings are there to add the intercooler parts. You would have to contact Whipple directly. But according to Whipple, the intercooler is not needed at the lower boost levels because the blower does not generate enough heat.

They do sell the big boost kit for $2500 as an upgrade for the 400hp kit. It includes a smaller pulley (3.375"), new tune, intercooler, and GT500 fuel pumps. With the big boost kit, you would increase the power to 550hp.

My guess is Whipple would sell just the intercooler parts for $1,200. I think a better idea would be to buy the 550hp kit and a 3.875" pulley. Lethal Performance sells just the pulley for $140. Install the larger pulley and don't install the GT500 fuel pumps. When you register the kit with Ford Racing, use the 400hp kit model number and they will send you a 400hp tune. This is similar to what I did with my Whipple. I had a 05-06 400 hp kit, bought the additional parts needed to install it on a '07 directly from Whipple, and registered my kit as a '07 400 hp kit. It worked great.

All that said, the 400hp kit runs great without the intercooler. I love mine and there is plenty of hp. I can break the 285's on the back lose easily and if feels very quick. I would recommend a custom tune. My custom tune has a lot more kick to it. PM me if you have more questions.

I have the 400hp kit and an intercooler can be added to it. All the fittings are there to add the intercooler parts. You would have to contact Whipple directly. But according to Whipple, the intercooler is not needed at the lower boost levels because the blower does not generate enough heat.

They do sell the big boost kit for $2500 as an upgrade for the 400hp kit. It includes a smaller pulley (3.375"), new tune, intercooler, and GT500 fuel pumps. With the big boost kit, you would increase the power to 550hp.

My guess is Whipple would sell just the intercooler parts for $1,200. I think a better idea would be to buy the 550hp kit and a 3.875" pulley. Lethal Performance sells just the pulley for $140. Install the larger pulley and don't install the GT500 fuel pumps. When you register the kit with Ford Racing, use the 400hp kit model number and they will send you a 400hp tune. This is similar to what I did with my Whipple. I had a 05-06 400 hp kit, bought the additional parts needed to install it on a '07 directly from Whipple, and registered my kit as a '07 400 hp kit. It worked great.

All that said, the 400hp kit runs great without the intercooler. I love mine and there is plenty of hp. I can break the 285's on the back lose easily and if feels very quick. I would recommend a custom tune. My custom tune has a lot more kick to it. PM me if you have more questions.

What he said! We all have spent some good money on these cars. Nothing like plopping down a boatload of cash and then have remorse or "shoulda/coulda" later. KNOW why and what you're buying. Keep asking questions. My main goals were to have low boost (due to the wimpy rotating assembly), smog legal because I live in Kalifornia and I wanted to be able to keep my 4:10 gears and I felt that the Shelby GT out of the box was a bit underpowered for it's own sake. Again, I think ALL the SGT's should have come with this kit and the ONLY mod we'd be doing is adding the intercooler! Imagine plopping down 3 grand for 550HP!!!!!

Archived