TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Headlights

Maxhenry

So I'm looking at the pitcures of Justindewoodie's black with silver coupe. ( :drool: btw)

Is it just me, or do the NON-HID headlights look better than the HIDs?

I think it is because they are on the outside, rather than the inside of the marker lights.

And for me, in NY, well, every street has streetlights.

So do I need HIDs? Thoughts? Comments?

You don't "need" HIDS, but they sure look more modern and perform much better comparatively than halogens. Secondly, HID lighting improves durability by 10 times as road vibrations can cause damage to halogen filament. There is nothing to break inside HID bulb. They also look much better because of the intensity of the light that matches daylight (higher light output) rather than a piss dull yellow. Finally, HIDs use much less power to operate at a lower watt and gives brighter output at the same time when compared to a halogen with higher watt bulb.

You don't "need" HIDS, but they sure look more modern and perform much better comparatively than halogens. Secondly, HID lighting improves durability by 10 times as road vibrations can cause damage to halogen filament. There is nothing to break inside HID bulb. They also look much better because of the intensity of the light that matches daylight (higher light output) rather than a piss dull yellow. Finally, HIDs use much less power to operate at a lower watt and gives brighter output at the same time when compared to a halogen with higher watt bulb.

Did you know that the human eye is more sensitive to yellow light? The next time you are at a controlled intersection, don't look directly and see which color you notice. Play with this a bit.

It is really a matter of personal preference. The older style headlamps look a little more retro but I got the HIDs because I thought they looked better with the new styling.

Same thing for the 2007-2009 rear end styling, a lot of people prefer the old tail lights as they look a little more retro. Sort of like choosing a color, all personal preference. :D

Steve

So I'm looking at the pitcures of Justindewoodie's black with silver coupe. ( :drool: btw)

Is it just me, or do the NON-HID headlights look better than the HIDs?

I think it is because they are on the outside, rather than the inside of the marker lights.

I never even noticed the diff positions for HID vs regular lights until you pointed it out... Thanks!!

One could always replace the halogens with the hid kits... I put HiDs in my truck, did it myself so it is pretty easy... Kits are around 500 hun...

Did you know that the human eye is more sensitive to yellow light? The next time you are at a controlled intersection, don't look directly and see which color you notice. Play with this a bit.

Well that is not really the case. At night Blue light is picked up better by the human eye. And during the day the safety yellow you see is the best. Take a look around parking decks and the city, ever notice the lights located at emergency call boxes are indicated by a blue light.

Also in the case of HID's they burn more toward the blue end of the spectrum. Where Halogen burns at the yellow or red end. So your eyes will pick out a HID light far before the Halogen. The reason you over look the HID's at close range is due to their focused beam, where as halogen is more of a foucsed flood.

Also the HID's kick ass on the car.

I like the HID's on some colors and I like the regular "old school" lights. I actually like the regular lights on the color that I ordered because it's more of an old school color, but something like black and especially with GB stripes, looks way better with the HID's. I do like the performance of the HID's though.

But does a "modern" look seem appropriate for a retro car? I also have wondered if I like the look of the projector lights.

As far as durability, I had HID lights in an Acura that had just over 50K miles (2.5 years) and started to yellow, then darken, then fail. Then to keep the lights looking the same, generally you need to replace both bulbs, if you don't want a visible difference in color between the lights. So long story short, I get a $300 bill handed to me, but with very little discussion with the sales staff, the bill went away. That is Acura...I wouldn't expect Ford to pick up bulbs out of warranty.

I like how the '08-'09's use HID with a more classical lens arrangement from a styling standpoint, but the projector beams work ALOT better.

I guess from a preformance standpoint alone, I'd get the HID set-up.....

The new car is almost like a Retro-Mod, so some modern tech mixed in is just fine....

As far as durability, I had HID lights in an Acura that had just over 50K miles (2.5 years) and started to yellow, then darken, then fail.

I'm surprised your HIDs stayed on your car that long and were not found on some gangsta's Honda. My Audi HIDs were stolen right in my driveway, but I got them back the same night when the cops came knocking on my door at 2am and asked "Are these yours?".

I went with the non HID's because of the looks. I do not regeit it at all, the non hid's fit the car better and these HID's look out of place IMHO, Lincoln MKS lights do not look right to me on this car. The 2008 to 2009 HID's would have looked great. The guy that designied this car used the non HID style lights on the mock up's for this cars final design. I think Ford did some cost cutting and used the Lincoln MKS HID's to save money instead of using the 2008 and 2009 mustang style HID's.

I love the HIDs. The look and the way they light up the road.

But now I'm confused. I thought the "H" in "HID" stood for halogen? If not, what exactly does "HID" stand for?

High intensity discharge

The light produced is high on the scale. Toward the white and blue end of the spectrum. Where as halogen burns at the red and orange end. That is the abbreviated version of course. Lol

Thanks for the answers.

I'm guessing I don't want to know what a new one will cost when one of them eventually burns out...

X2. This will be my first ride with HID. So yeah that thought worries me also. But if all goes well they should last 2-3 times longer the the halogens. But then again that would be a perfect world. Lol

I "struggled" with HIDs vs. halogens when I ordered. In my opinion, the HIDs fit the look of the car much better, and I don't think it looks quite right with the halogens. The bottom line is that you will eventually be happy with whatever you choose, and even if you're not, you can always switch them out.

When I ordered my car in March I ordered it without HID. But then I saw a side-by-side and thought the car looked better with HID's and I changed my order. As my wife pointed out, with the HID's the car looks mean, without HID's the car looks happy! I want a mean lokk, not happy one.

Archived