TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil Change GTH

I am going to change my oil on a 2007 GT H .It was changed by the previous owner just before I bought it, about 600 miles ago. The manual recommends a 5-20 synthetic blend. Question did Hertz use synthetic, and if not should I do anything special when changing over to a synthetic? I am going with Mobil 1. I use conventional on all my other cars and have no experience changing over to synthetic, the GT H has 22,100 miles.

Rich

The manual recommends a 5-20 synthetic blend.

Rich

Which manual says that? As far as I know the factory fill was NOT synthetic and Shelby Auto's didn't change the oil. I doubt Hertz used synthetic oil for their oil changes.

There is nothing wrong or special with changing over to a synthetic oil. Mobil 1 for a SGT will be just fine.

Steve

Rich

Which manual says that? As far as I know the factory fill was NOT synthetic and Shelby Auto's didn't change the oil. I doubt Hertz used synthetic oil for their oil changes.

There is nothing wrong or special with changing over to a synthetic oil. Mobil 1 for a SGT will be just fine.

Steve

Steve

Mustang owners manual-page 248 reads "4.6L engine 6 quarts Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (US)"

Steve

Mustang owners manual-page 248 reads "4.6L engine 6 quarts Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (US)"

Interesting.

You know there has always been a big controversy over synthetic blends and IIRC Valvoline was sued or gone after for their Dura-Blend oil. Valvoline lost or at least agreed that their advertising was false.

The controversy is what is a blend? Is 50% dino & 50% synthetic a blend?

Then what about 99% dino and 1% synthetic. Isn't that also a blend?

Now pick up a bottle of synthetic blend motor oil and try to find the blend ratio? Unless things have changed, and they may well have, previously not a single synthetic blend ever listed the blend ratio and if you called their 800 number you got nothing but doubletalk.

Steve

I always considered synthetic blends a gimmick. I'd stick with either straight synthetic or the standard petroleum stuff. I use Penzoil synthetic oil in my Honda Odyssey and Castrol dino oil in my Accord and both have over 100,000 miles on them and running great. I use synthetic 5W50 oil in my GT500.

I am going to change my oil on a 2007 GT H .It was changed by the previous owner just before I bought it, about 600 miles ago. The manual recommends a 5-20 synthetic blend. Question did Hertz use synthetic, and if not should I do anything special when changing over to a synthetic? I am going with Mobil 1. I use conventional on all my other cars and have no experience changing over to synthetic, the GT H has 22,100 miles.

Rich

I have a 2007 Shelby GT with 4000 miles & have changed the oil twice using the Motorcraft Blend. I had a 1994 TransAM GT - with 34,000 when I sold it to by the Shelby. I ran Mobil 1 for about 10yrs with no problems however the oil pressure gauge started to show a oil pressure drop while driving. The senor & gauge were check & OK. I switch to Royal Purple it never happened again, over 4yrs. In my job (prior to recent retirement) I had took some courses on oil & had contacts with various oil companies. The bottom line try not to mix them, it's like adding additives to oil, you are acting like a "mad" scientist! I have used conventional oil in my daily drivers all had over 100,000 miles with never a engine problem. I'm staying with the Motorcraft Blend for now. Confusing or what??/Right.... I hope my comments help.

Archived