TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tranny still grinds after T.S.B.

trichie

I took my car in two weeks ago and had the clutch flywheel TSB done. I was grinding pretty bad in 2nd and 3rd mostly when cold and the clutch was beginning to chatter. When I got it back it seemed fine but now it is starting to grind again and the clutch chatter is back. I tried to break it in slow and easy. Anyone else have this problem? I have 4:10 gears so you wouldn't expect as much chatter.

I took my car in two weeks ago and had the clutch flywheel TSB done. I was grinding pretty bad in 2nd and 3rd mostly when cold and the clutch was beginning to chatter. When I got it back it seemed fine but now it is starting to grind again and the clutch chatter is back. I tried to break it in slow and easy. Anyone else have this problem? I have 4:10 gears so you wouldn't expect as much chatter.

dont worry about it my '10 grinds going into 2nd and 3rd if I shift at anything around 6k

No, this grinds at just above idle.

You likely need a new transmission. I had the same situation and after my tranny was replaced, all was well. The core charge I was quoted - $600. Good luck.

You likely need a new transmission. I had the same situation and after my tranny was replaced, all was well. The core charge I was quoted - $600. Good luck.

I agree.

Insist on a new tranny.

Anyone else have this problem after TSB? Did you have your tranny replaced? I'm looking for amo to convince my dealer.

I can't say that I have... mine had this weird vibration that was remedied about two months after the TSB was done on mine.

If yours is still suspect, the dealer has an obligation to fix the issue. You shouldn't have a problem getting it set straight.

I took my car back to the dealer yesterday and they are going to talk to Ford about the problem. I told them what you guys said and the mechanic agreed that I would need a new transmission. I hate to give up my matching number but I want this problem fixed once and for all.

I took my car back to the dealer yesterday and they are going to talk to Ford about the problem. I told them what you guys said and the mechanic agreed that I would need a new transmission. I hate to give up my matching number but I want this problem fixed once and for all.

Hey that's great news!! And I think you don't need to worry about matching numbers too much from what I understand.... if the new trans comes from Ford (which it will), you can be assured that it will be documented and a legit replacement. Glad to hear that a resolution is coming for you, that's awesome!!

:salute:

• 3 weeks later...

I took my car back to the dealer on Sat. to allow it to sit over night so they could evaluate it when it is cold. Well Monday, the dealer called and said the tech drove it and could not find a problem. He then said the service manager was going to drive it and see if he could find a problem. So I went back down there to talk to the tech and he and the service manager just took off in the car to test it. When they got back, they both said it didn't grind so therefore, Ford wasn't going to fix it. I said, well I guess it just magically fixed it's self. Then the service writer said well no but if we can't reproduce the problem then we can't fix it.

I know there is a problem when it is cold. No matter how slow I shift, low rpm, etc. it definitely grinds in 2nd and 3rd, sometimes even 4th. It takes about 10 minutes of driving for this to go away. I'm concerned that I will eventually do damage to the gears that will perhaps manifest itself after the warranty is up.

So my options are, take it to another dealer which is out in the Valley (Palin town), 1 hour away and leave it over night there (not an option that I want at this time).

2. Just keep on driving it hoping the problem will go away.

3. Try some synthetic Dextron VI fluid, I read that Harley Dealer did this and it worked. I PMed him but didn't hear back.

4. Fight with Ford to resolve.

Any suggestions?

I took my car back to the dealer on Sat. to allow it to sit over night so they could evaluate it when it is cold. Well Monday, the dealer called and said the tech drove it and could not find a problem. He then said the service manager was going to drive it and see if he could find a problem. So I went back down there to talk to the tech and he and the service manager just took off in the car to test it. When they got back, they both said it didn't grind so therefore, Ford wasn't going to fix it. I said, well I guess it just magically fixed it's self. Then the service writer said well no but if we can't reproduce the problem then we can't fix it.

I know there is a problem when it is cold. No matter how slow I shift, low rpm, etc. it definitely grinds in 2nd and 3rd, sometimes even 4th. It takes about 10 minutes of driving for this to go away. I'm concerned that I will eventually do damage to the gears that will perhaps manifest itself after the warranty is up.

So my options are, take it to another dealer which is out in the Valley (Palin town), 1 hour away and leave it over night there (not an option that I want at this time).

3. Try some synthetic Dextron VI fluid, I read that Harley Dealer did this and it worked. I PMed him but didn't hear back.

Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, I can't imagine Ford replacing the tranny if they can't find an issue :shrug:. That sucks. If I was you... I might consider taking it somewhere else, absolutely, although their answer might be similar if they can't recreate the problem. Besides, it's not like the current dealership is acknowledging a problem and they won't fix it - they just can't find it yet. I think that at least right now, the dealership has it annotated (should) that you came in complaining of an issue. That should help protect you later if further wear comes about.

I think that changing the tranny fluid is an interesting idea - I too, have heard that the fluid they put in post-TSB has given some people issues. I think that is your best first option, honestly... And thinking of it, yes, I would definitely change out the tranny fluid, and it might be an easy fix!

Keep your eye on it, as I'm sure they told you. Keep chugg'n! :salute:

Any suggestions?

Does it still happen when YOU drive the car? If it does, then take the car back to that dealer, ask the service manager to get in the passenger seat, and take him out for a test drive and grind the gears for him.

Telling you that FoMoCo won't pay to fix the problem is just nonsense. It is a well documented problem by their engineers, they sent a bulletin out to their dealer network about it, and if you are experiencing the grinding, then FoMoCo will indeed pay fo the repairs under warranty.

And if it only happens when the drivetrain is cold, then ask to leave your car at the dealer overnight, ask them not to drive it until you get there the next morning, then take the service manager out for a drive when everything is cold.

Good luck.

Unfortunately, I can't imagine Ford replacing the tranny if they can't find an issue :shrug:. That sucks. If I was you... I might consider taking it somewhere else, absolutely, although their answer might be similar if they can't recreate the problem. Besides, it's not like the current dealership is acknowledging a problem and they won't fix it - they just can't find it yet. I think that at least right now, the dealership has it annotated (should) that you came in complaining of an issue. That should help protect you later if further wear comes about.

I think that changing the tranny fluid is an interesting idea - I too, have heard that the fluid they put in post-TSB has given some people issues. I think that is your best first option, honestly... And thinking of it, yes, I would definitely change out the tranny fluid, and it might be an easy fix!

Keep your eye on it, as I'm sure they told you. Keep chugg'n! :salute:

I would call that dealer and ask the tech. that did the work what type of fluid they refilled with, The Ford manual calls for mercon V, Tremec recomends dextron III. I believe there is a significant difference in the two, The condition you refer to sounds like synchros to me and they work by a certain amount of friction, if the fluid is too slippery, thick (cold) the synchros will not work properly. just a thought and good luck.

New Update

I got back from the field yesterday and drove the car when cold. The problem is gone! No grind what so ever, so now I'm wondering, what did the tech do to it and not tell me? It's night and day different, shifts like butter. I'm baffled but happy at the same time. Problem solved.

Thanks to all for your support and suggestions.

New Update

I got back from the field yesterday and drove the car when cold. The problem is gone! No grind what so ever, so now I'm wondering, what did the tech do to it and not tell me? It's night and day different, shifts like butter. I'm baffled but happy at the same time. Problem solved.

Thanks to all for your support and suggestions.

:shrug:

Same exact problem to a T

My car has gone back now 2 times after the TSB was perfromed, it is at the dealer as we speak so I will let you know!

Its been there off and on for over a month for this issue :(

Everyone is clueless about it and does not know how to fix it permanently.

I'm getting worried

I'll bet you $1.00 they revacumed they slave cylinder for you. There is a chance that some air was trapped in the line. One of Fords better ideas that there is no bleed port for the slave system.....

Right and because of that I have heard that pumping your clutch and brake pedal are the only ways to get air out of the lines, there is no other ways, at least according to Robs connection he gave me.

It did help my problems but not entirely

I'll bet you $1.00 they revacumed they slave cylinder for you. There is a chance that some air was trapped in the line. One of Fords better ideas that there is no bleed port for the slave system.....

I was thinking the same thing, either that or the mechanic adjusted the shifter linkage. Either way I'm just glad it's fixed.

Archived