TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is the ARB EO Decal Important?

Dig-It

This may be trivial, but is it important to display the Air Resource Board Executive Order (ARB EO) decal in the engine bay? I never thought of it until I saw it on the driver side strut tower of another KB supercharged SGT/SC vert at the MCA show in Raleigh. Mine is still with the paperwork that came with the supercharger, but I've been thinking that maybe it should be adhered somewhere in the engine bay.

The decal that comes with the KB is black and silver, approximately two inches wide by one inch tall. It reads:

KENNE BELL

MODEL TS SERIES

ARB E.O. NO. D-271-16

Here in Virginia it's not required or even asked for during the annual safety inspection, whereas it may be in some states. But I'm curious if anyone has thought that it may also serve to help differentiate between "Street Legal" and "Tuner" kits. This may or may not be important, but since we're all - myself included - wrapped around the axle about the factory supercharged plaques I think that it might.

Also, do the Whipple or Paxton superchargers come with decal where appropriate. If so, where are you guys finding them installed? I wonder if the KB powered Super Snakes have these as well.

Again, this is trivial, but I was just wondering ...

IT IS EXTREEMLY IMPORTANT. Even though your state does not require complience, Shelby must install them on all complient cars regardless of the state that it will be registered in.

Keeping the decal on your car will also be important if you ever decide to sell it in the future. Anyone buying the car for use in California or other complient states would not be able to register the car in those states if the decal was missing.

Kevin,

All cars get them when installed with a S/C that complies with CARB/EOB standards. Whipples have them too. Tasca asked me if I wanted it in the car or in a folder. I have it in a folder to produce if ever questioned. IT DOES NOT have to be displayed in all states. CA, CT, NY and a few others require it be visible. Mine will stay in a folder.

Take care buddy and CONGRATS on an awesome job in the show, sorry I missed it (death in the family).

Jase

Thanks for the replies guys. I figured it was important for legal reasons, and I knew a few states required it. I was curious about what folks were doing about these decals in other states where it isn't required to be displayed. I guess mine will stay in the folder as well.

... Take care buddy and CONGRATS on an awesome job in the show, sorry I missed it (death in the family).

Jase

Thanks, and I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

• 5 months later...

Keeping the decal on your car will also be important if you ever decide to sell it in the future. Anyone buying the car for use in California or other complient states would not be able to register the car in those states if the decal was missing.

That isn't exactly correct, although your intent favors the 'spirit' of the original legislation in this case. I spent a few hours today going through much of California's vast and over reaching (if you ask me) automotive bureaucracy in search of the applicable text, as it relates specifically to CARB and exemption stickers. You need to read it like an attorney, without generalizing. That said, at the very least, have your sticker available to present as evidence that the exempted part is what you claim it to be. As California puts it " a missing or illegible aftermarket parts label does not constitute an inspection (and ultimately your ability to register the vehicle) failure" at which point the onus could be on the owner/operator to convince the appropriate testing agency (referee station, etc) that the part is indeed exempted. I say 'could' because as objective and by the book the techs are supposed to be, some tend to be a bit subjective.

post-23237-126239838291_thumb.jpg

Since FRPP doesn't tag (for example) their TVS or their GT500 CAI by placing a stamp directly on the parts, they have to provide a sticker that is supposed to be placed on or near the part in question. A test station technician can verify the part by referencing it from the ARB Exemption database as well. In addition, a tech can contact the ARB directly for further verification.

post-23237-126239840112_thumb.jpg

If you're a bit draconian and would like to get a peek at some overbearing testing measures and legislation that will be coming to a state near you ( Nancy, Harry, and Obama will get it pushed the rest of the nation via the EPA - if Mr Gore can't continue to sway the masses), take a gander at the following pdf. And diesel owners, you don't even want to know what is brewing, legislation wise...

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARResources/05_Legislative/RegulatoryActions/Smog%20Check%20Manual%20w-diesel%208-09%20V3.pdf

Tob

post-23237-126239838291_thumb.jpg

post-23237-126239840112_thumb.jpg

Archived