TEAM SHELBY FORUM

NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS

Guest staff2

Hello All,

I have been registered on the site for a while but hadn't really introduced myself. I truly am a carnut beginning with a 56 Ford 2 door 312 Ranch Wagon way back in the days of 19 cent gas or cheaper on a good day. How things have changed in the car industry over the years but the cars have kind of come full circle with improvements. I love my older cars but they dont match what the auto manufactures are producing today. 500 hp and in the 20's for gas mileage. My old Impala with a L-88 (yes I changed with a crate motor even back then (1967) was fast but it got about 5 mpg city/10 hwy and wasn't as quick as the new Shelby. Amazing the insurance is lot less now than then if you had a really hard core car.

Anyway that was then, I am waiting like many of you for my red coupe with all the options, red and black interior and have been going nuts for the last month because it was originally supposed to be delivered on 6/29 but I don't have it yet and no one can tell me when. Fortunately I have a black brand X plastic car with the ponies to give me my speed thrill, but alas, it is not a Shelby. I have No 1 position at the dealership even over the owner, who is a straight shooter and another Carnut.

I also have number of fast 60's fords (not stock, nothing I own is) and few Chevrolets. I have had 4 different Mustang Cobras and a 99 Lightning which I still own with nearly 100k on it. Still looks and runs as new.

All of future owners will eventually get there cars and many of them will be at MSRP. Remember the first one went for $600K at Barrett Jackson and when number 9000 is built the craziness should be over.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona and hope to be one of the first to have the car, I think it will be another keeper

Thanks for listening to my blithering

Carnut :fan:

Hey, carnut, was that '56 a 312 a Y-block (with the pushrods thru the intake?) or a small big block back then? You've had some nice rides, my friend!

Welcome!

Hey, carnut, was that '56 a 312 a Y-block (with the pushrods thru the intake?) or a small big block back then? You've had some nice rides, my friend!

Welcome!

It was a Y block, 57 head and intake on a 56 block and camshaft (mechanical cam back then) three speed on the floor. It upset a number of the Chevy guys. It was also red car but had that funny vinyl upholstery with the ranch brands and cowheads on it :hysterical:

It was a Y block, 57 head and intake on a 56 block and camshaft (mechanical cam back then) three speed on the floor. It upset a number of the Chevy guys. It was also red car but had that funny vinyl upholstery with the ranch brands and cowheads on it :hysterical:

Very cool. Funnny how some of the unusual combos bring the big bucks at auction. I bet if you still had that it would be a blast!

A buddy of mine had a 57 vert (332?) with the Latham axial-flow supercharger from the factory. 300HP... that puppy was a real sleeper .... and it's amazing how light cars were back then :)

You trading the black plastic brand-x in on the GT500? Cause, you know they'll just bicker in the garage at night :hysterical:

Hello All!!

Although I just registered this A.M. I have to say I have been floating around this site for a while as a guest and what a great forum.

First and foremost many thanks to Robert Lane for all of his efforts and contribution to this site and the car. Unbelievable

Many thanks to all of the dealers that post too, Isellford, Platinum Lion, and Five Oh B. Not to mention all of the members too, just about everyone has something to contribute it is a great place for information and I have seen some pretty interesting dialogue too!

All this information helped in acquiring my 07 Shelby GT 500. It is suppossed to be built next week, although yesterday the dealer did not report it had been bucked so I have little faith in it's being produced next week. But Ford CS stated July 31st to Aug 7th. One way or another I know it's not far away at this point in time.

I have been a serious car guy for most of my life but hung up the keys a few years ago for wife and family.

Have owned at one time or another one of everythng from each manufacturer, everything from a 61 Austin 1100 to an IROC Z, numerous Toyota's and VW Rabbit of all things, 67 Chevelle SS, Probe GT (Turbo), Bonneville SSEi, and of course a Mustang 5.0!

Congrats to all that have seen their new rides, mine is coming too!

Like a lot of folks, I've been hanging out here as a guest for a while....I guess it's time to introduce myself.

I got my first mustang when I was 14. That was back in '76 (do the math). It was a 66 conv. millionth mustang addition promo car. (thus my user name). About 14 years ago I resto-mod'd a 66 coupe. In between that time my father and I restored half a dozen mustangs for relatives and ourselves. I also built a 65 gt350 clone while in high school/college and owned a 66 Mercury Montclaire (the trunk was big enough to rent out to a small family of 4). I have kept the vert & cpe all these years and if anyone asked, I would say that "I would never sell them". But when I saw the 02? concept car at the auto show....and saw that Carol was back "in" with Ford....I knew something special was going to happen. The spousal politics began immediately.

Well, both classics are now sold and I'm remodeling my stable (garage) to get ready for its new pony! I haven't been able to place the order yet, but have an agreement, in writing, with a friend at a local (and, might I add, trustworthy) dealership to purchase their unit.

This is the first and only vehicle that could have convinced me to part with my long-time companions. Now I begin the long, lonely wait that so many of you are familiar with.....

Like a lot of folks, I've been hanging out here as a guest for a while....I guess it's time to introduce myself.

I got my first mustang when I was 14. That was back in '76 (do the math). It was a 66 conv. millionth mustang addition promo car. (thus my user name). About 14 years ago I resto-mod'd a 66 coupe. In between that time my father and I restored half a dozen mustangs for relatives and ourselves. I also built a 65 gt350 clone while in high school/college and owned a 66 Mercury Montclaire (the trunk was big enough to rent out to a small family of 4). I have kept the vert & cpe all these years and if anyone asked, I would say that "I would never sell them". But when I saw the 02? concept car at the auto show....and saw that Carol was back "in" with Ford....I knew something special was going to happen. The spousal politics began immediately.

Well, both classics are now sold and I'm remodeling my stable (garage) to get ready for its new pony! I haven't been able to place the order yet, but have an agreement, in writing, with a friend at a local (and, might I add, trustworthy) dealership to purchase their unit.

This is the first and only vehicle that could have convinced me to part with my long-time companions. Now I begin the long, lonely wait that so many of you are familiar with.....

Hey, welcome Sprint!

You are indeed brave negotiating the sale of two classics!!! Hope all works out well with your dealer. I haven't placed an order yet... waiting on details of the Boss, but I do certainly lust for having one.

:shift:

Hey, Sprint!

Welcome aboard!

We have quite an interesting and knowledgeable group here.

And we're from all over the US and Canada (eh?) and other countries.

Hang out - contribute - and have a few laughs with us, you hear? :happy feet:

Bryan

Been posting a while, so I guess I should be cordial and officially introduce myself.

Have been a Ford fan all my life, the cars of course, not the corporate attitude.

In the past I have owned mostly Ford's:

61 Falcon wagon (1st car)

65 Custom 500 w/352

73 LTD 2dr w/429 police and 4-pinion posi 9(major sleeper)

75 Ford F-250 Explorer package "SuperCab" 4x4 with a 390

78 Lincoln Versailles (no Granada comments please! Wish I still had that rear axle for my 'chero...)

97 F-150 4x4 with a 5.4 that I still have and drive every day

And of course my '61 Ranchero that I drove in HS and am rebuilding now, a 1/4 century later.

Helped my brother build the most wicked Maverick you would ever see. Chopped 4" at windshield (tipped the roof, didn't chop the whole thing) sectioned 17" out of the wheelbase (made it a very short and squirrelly 2-seater) had a smokin' hot 302 with a Weiand tunnelram, a "B&M" C-4, a 9" Posi w/3.73's. Car would bust 'em loose at will if you banged down at 50 on the freeway, with traction bars! (Hey they were the hot thing in the late-70's and early 80's on a budget).

To actually own a Shelby has been a lifelong dream, I used to be able to tell you from memory how many of what models were built by year, and we're talking when I was 11 or 12 years old!

Actually was fortunate to take an original '65 289 Cobra (yes, the 2 seat aluminum car, but not 427) for a drive when I was about 17. It was actually more like a flight, doing about 135 down the freeway in broad daylight, can't believe I lived and didn't even go to jail! That just solidified it for me.

Put "pre-order" deposits down on 2 GT500's as soon as the car was announced in NY last year. (Had a receipt in hand early April 2005).

But, I'm probably giving up my beloved Ranchero to do it (the spousal negotiation).

Hoping the delaer doesn't jerk me around, been on them weekly.

Finally got to actually order the cars themselves a couple weeks ago.

We'll see how it shakes out.

In the meantime, enjoying the tech talk, opinions, hunor and just plain fun that occurs in here.

Seem like a great bunch of guys, and gals too (tsteff and others).

Hoping we all get our cars, and not by paying extra for a greedy dealers new swimming pool.

Mike.

Hey, Mike!

Man - what a background!

I love the police intercepter!

I'm sure you'll have a lot to contribute.

Good to have you with us.

Ranchero! Yes. :shift:

That LTD was an interesting one.

The Hwy Patrol ordered a dozen "unmarked" 2-doors in late 72/ early 73 to run up and down the highway here. Only options they had were a vinyl roof and A/C. Were talking crank windows, dog-pan caps on blackwalls, vinyl seats, the whole thing, but... it had a wicked 429pi. And, believe it or not, only 2.75 gears in a 4-pinion 9". (Thing wasn't great off the line, but it would wind up like a 9-day clock!)

Anyway, after the order arrived they cancelled it because of the gas crisis.

My cheapo grandfather wanted a new car, so he bought one off the lot not knowing what it was, other than a good deal. I got the car from him about 6 or 7 years later. (Now that I think about it, through the same dealer my GT500 deposits are at...)

I wrecked it while attending UTI (stupid drunk driver hit me with no insurance), and when I went to replace the front clip it still had the hidden mars-bar plug-in behind the grill.

I couldn't take 'em off the line (it was a tank, and those gears were pathetic off the line obviously), but if I suckered a Z-28 or T/A into a rolling start it was all over!

Damn, I miss that car.

Mike.

:hysterical: Let's Roll!

"It's got cop tires - cop brakes - cop suspension - and 440 cubic inch plant - is it the new Bluesmobile, or what?"

"Fix the cigarette lighter."

Hadn't thought of that, and believe it or not, the car was Dark Blue too. :hysterical:

Lighter worked though, used it too much, that gives me fits now.

Mike.

:hysterical: Let's Roll!

"It's got cop tires - cop brakes - cop suspension - and 440 cubic inch plant - is it the new Bluesmobile, or what?"

"Fix the cigarette lighter."

Hey Ruf. You forgot, "...It's 2:00 in the morning, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses..."

(or something like that)

:rockon:

Hey Ruf. You forgot, "...It's 2:00 in the morning, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses..."

(or something like that)

:rockon:

"Got a 1/2 pack of cigarettes, a full take of gas, it's dark outside and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it! We're on a mission for God"

"I just spent 3 years in a penitentiary, and you pick me up in a POLICE CAR?!!

Get the lighter fixed!"

Something like that...

Mike.

Hadn't thought of that, and believe it or not, the car was Dark Blue too. :hysterical:

Lighter worked though, used it too much, that gives me fits now.

Mike.

Hey, Mike.. Welcome! We've chatted on a few threads already so just wanted to let you know how cool I think that '61 Ranchero and 429PI are ...and that 61 Falcon wagon -- what a major sleeper that could be today with a 427cid/550HP small block crate motor from FRPP! It's amazing they're stroking the tall-deck 4-bolt 351s that far now! That Falcon could not have weighed much more than 2750lbs or so! Even all prepped for 550HP would be well under 3200lbs Can you imagine! :woohoo: < I tend to dream >

See ya around here...

-Dan

Hey, Mike.. Welcome! We've chatted on a few threads already so just wanted to let you know how cool I think that '61 Ranchero and 429PI are ...and that 61 Falcon wagon -- what a major sleeper that could be today with a 427cid/550HP small block crate motor from FRPP! It's amazing they're stroking the tall-deck 4-bolt 351s that far now! That Falcon could not have weighed much more than 2750lbs or so! Even all prepped for 550HP would be well under 3200lbs Can you imagine! :woohoo: < I tend to dream >

See ya around here...

-Dan

Thanks for the welcome!

Actually, that's what I'm doing but not as extreme. The Ranchero is a Falcon body also, and according to Ford, the weight when built was 2,338. I figure will be about 2,650 finished with the heavier rear, trans, and structural bracing. Engine actually won't add that much weight, because of aluminum heads, maybe 75 lbs more than stock.

The stroker I have for it is a 351W Sportsman block stroked to 387, what most usualy see is a 393 stroker, but mine's not punched out .030. Brand new block, why punch it?

Will be wicked f :censored: in' fast, that is if I ever finish it.

Mike.

Thanks for the welcome!

Actually, that's what I'm doing but not as extreme. The Ranchero is a Falcon body also, and according to Ford, the weight when built was 2,338. I figure will be about 2,650 finished with the heavier rear, trans, and structural bracing. Engine actually won't add that much weight, because of aluminum heads, maybe 75 lbs more than stock.

The stroker I have for it is a 351W Sportsman block stroked to 387, what most usualy see is a 393 stroker, but mine's not punched out .030. Brand new block, why punch it?

Will be wicked f :censored: in' fast, that is if I ever finish it.

Mike.

Holy Batman, Mike, that's light! Even the original GT350s were 2800lbs. Right... 61 Ranchero... big round tail lights, blunt rear fender side-lines wrap around the lights... nice looking classic ride! That 387 sportsman block should build up nicely to 450HP or so? Roller hydraulic heads? It will be wicked fast! Good things take time, after all... that's part of the fun ;-)

I feel sorry for our younger generation.

They want Preludes and bass boxes and Indy-car spoilers - and graphics.

You guys are like hearing the oldies on the radio. You rock. :rockon:

I was just thinking how much I'd love to drive Watkins Glenn again, only in a GT500! Wish SVToA would announce some track days there in '07 -- now all I need is the car!

:baby:

Hi everbody. I just joined and am looking forward to lots of good information from this group. I just ordered my Shelby GT 500 today and given a mid to late October delivery date. Ordered a Grabber Orange convertable with all options except the Shaker 1000 radio as that option would delay the vehicle deliver by an undertimined amount of time. Now the wait begins?????

Hi everbody. I just joined and am looking forward to lots of good information from this group. I just ordered my Shelby GT 500 today and given a mid to late October delivery date. Ordered a Grabber Orange convertable with all options except the Shaker 1000 radio as that option would delay the vehicle deliver by an undertimined amount of time. Now the wait begins?????

jdaallen

Welcome!

Your car sounds like the 1st 1 I've got coming.

Did you go Tungsten or white stripes?

If we can ask, did they hit you hard on the added sticker (ADM)?

Welcome! So it's a Vert, I assume :) Good luck... have fun...

That LTD was an interesting one.

The Hwy Patrol ordered a dozen "unmarked" 2-doors in late 72/ early 73 to run up and down the highway here. Only options they had were a vinyl roof and A/C. Were talking crank windows, dog-pan caps on blackwalls, vinyl seats, the whole thing, but... it had a wicked 429pi. And, believe it or not, only 2.75 gears in a 4-pinion 9". (Thing wasn't great off the line, but it would wind up like a 9-day clock!)

Anyway, after the order arrived they cancelled it because of the gas crisis.

My cheapo grandfather wanted a new car, so he bought one off the lot not knowing what it was, other than a good deal. I got the car from him about 6 or 7 years later. (Now that I think about it, through the same dealer my GT500 deposits are at...)

I wrecked it while attending UTI (stupid drunk driver hit me with no insurance), and when I went to replace the front clip it still had the hidden mars-bar plug-in behind the grill.

I couldn't take 'em off the line (it was a tank, and those gears were pathetic off the line obviously), but if I suckered a Z-28 or T/A into a rolling start it was all over!

Damn, I miss that car.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Welcome I just joined myself a short while ago.

I was reading your post about the Maverick and reminded me of my '75 Comet back in '82 with the 302ci

I had rebuilt the motor, added a camshaft upgrade and just basically cleaned it up. Made sure it was all nice and tight, just added dual exhaust but kept it quiet too all low budget because I had no money for that sort of thing back then.

It was a riot kicking the sh*t out of the then new generation Camaro & Firebird...

It belive it was what Ford called "Competition Orange" my buddy's and I just called it the "Pumpkin"

It was not a very attractive car with those huge "cow catcher" bumpers. Worse in '82 when the car was few years old and the paint was peeling off as Ford was having problems getting the paint to stick to the car.

Made it even more embarrassing for the Camaros having get wooped by the "Pumpkin"!

Greetings All!

This is my first post to this fine forum!

I too am in love with the new GT500 as are all of you! I'm posting this message from the state of Tennessee.

I stopped by one of the SVT dealers in the city today to find out what the General Manager , who I know, could tell me. He had just returned from Atlanta in which he and a couple of his top salesmen attended provided by Ford to give them details on the GT500.

He indicated to me that according to their visit form Ford, the GT500 would not start hitting dealers lots until late August or Mid-September. Something that did surprise me though, he indicated from Ford that the HP at delivery would be 500!

Just wanted to share this tidbit of info. I look forward to learning more from this great site!

Patience is soooo hard!

Welcome and enjoy the forum

Hi Mike,

Welcome I just joined myself a short while ago.

I was reading your post about the Maverick and reminded me of my '75 Comet back in '82 with the 302ci

I had rebuilt the motor, added a camshaft upgrade and just basically cleaned it up. Made sure it was all nice and tight, just added dual exhaust but kept it quiet too all low budget because I had no money for that sort of thing back then.

It was a riot kicking the sh*t out of the then new generation Camaro & Firebird...

It belive it was what Ford called "Competition Orange" my buddy's and I just called it the "Pumpkin"

It was not a very attractive car with those huge "cow catcher" bumpers. Worse in '82 when the car was few years old and the paint was peeling off as Ford was having problems getting the paint to stick to the car.

Made it even more embarrassing for the Camaros having get wooped by the "Pumpkin"!

Yeah, the '73's had the big front bumpers, and in '74 they went to 5-mph bumpers at both ends. The one my brother and I built was a '72, the little bumpers both ends. White w/ black scoop and tail-piece.

Was a sweet ride for a couple kids back in the day.

Mike.

Ruf, there was no way you could mistake the Pumpkin, there was only one around like it!

Thinking back about, it now. The thing was insane, even light acceleration would chirp the tires on th 1-2 shift, and it was an automatic. She was fun while she lasted until the cops got fed up with her, or was it me?

I remember my father picking me up in it after dropping off another car, he says "You did a great job on the engine son, it really runs well" I replied "Yeah she's really peppy, you should push the pedal down, to see the difference to your 6 cyl Maverick...."

The pumpkin shifted right back down to first and lit up the rear. He went white.......

As I recall, he did'nt talk to me for a while.

Ah youth :-)