TEAM SHELBY FORUM

East Coast Hood Scoop Replacement....

OK folks, I know that there is a dedicated hood scoop thread, and I have read most all of it, but am struggling a bit with getting my hood scoop replaced in my area....so here is the deal:

1. I live in the Washington, DC area (Maryland suburbs)

2. The Ford dealer I bought my SGT from is out of business (Ourisman in Bethesda, MD)

3. The Ford dealer near me - Sheehy Ford in Gaithersburg - is working on this replacement with me

4. Sheehy only sold a couple of these cars and has no real exposure them as a result

5. The Body Shop manager is a great guy with 20-30 years experience, but is scared of this repair (rivoting the scoop onto aluminum hood with hydraulic gun) since any mistakes and the dealership buys a new hood

So far I have spoken to the Ford Warranty Program folks, as has he, and we both have a good sense of the details surrounding the replacement program, installation process, etc.....he has never done one of these, and has called around to all the area delaers and neither have they. Despite the fact that several hundred have been done nationally, it appears that none of the MD-DC-VA dealers have any experience with this.

SOOOOO, my question to you all - have any of you had this repair done anywhere near my location?? While Tasca Ford is on the East Coast, they are not exactly convenient for me to get to (a few states away)......any and ALL help would be greatly appreciated!! Just to show you the state of my scoop, here are a few snapshots I took of the scoop - I think it is actually worse in person, but it seems bad to me even in the pics.......

th_HoodScoop004.jpg th_HoodScoop005.jpg th_HoodScoop019.jpg th_HoodScoop020.jpg th_HoodScoop021.jpg th_HoodScoop023.jpg

Yeah, it does look pretty bad....

My dealer had never done one either but was willing to work with me through the process. Look on page 16 of the scoop thread for additional instructions that I compiled from all of the great inputs of other folks.

You definitely must be involved in the process and inspect the work almost every step of the way.

Some folks have suggested working with a 3rd party body shop, having Ford pay them the warranty costs, and you paying the difference that the body shop charges. I would have gone that route if my dealer would have been too hesitant to do it themselves or if they were not willing to have me involved.

GOOD LUCK !

Yeah, it does look pretty bad....

My dealer had never done one either but was willing to work with me through the process. Look on page 16 of the scoop thread for additional instructions that I compiled from all of the great inputs of other folks.

You definitely must be involved in the process and inspect the work almost every step of the way.

Some folks have suggested working with a 3rd party body shop, having Ford pay them the warranty costs, and you paying the difference that the body shop charges. I would have gone that route if my dealer would have been too hesitant to do it themselves or if they were not willing to have me involved.

GOOD LUCK !

+1

Find a great body shop that's better than most dealers have done.

Bring the information and 'gotchas" in the dedicated thread.

I would never let a dealer do any body work on my car. Their usual the worst place and if they send it out its to the lowest bidder probably someone who's blind or who has a monkey on his back!!! I drilled my rivets out myself and cut my hood open if you like, I can be there by thursday with my Jig saw and hammer :drool: But really it's not that hard to do!!!

OK folks, I know that there is a dedicated hood scoop thread, and I have read most all of it, but am struggling a bit with getting my hood scoop replaced in my area....so here is the deal:

1. I live in the Washington, DC area (Maryland suburbs)

2. The Ford dealer I bought my SGT from is out of business (Ourisman in Bethesda, MD)

3. The Ford dealer near me - Sheehy Ford in Gaithersburg - is working on this replacement with me

4. Sheehy only sold a couple of these cars and has no real exposure them as a result

5. The Body Shop manager is a great guy with 20-30 years experience, but is scared of this repair (rivoting the scoop onto aluminum hood with hydraulic gun) since any mistakes and the dealership buys a new hood

So far I have spoken to the Ford Warranty Program folks, as has he, and we both have a good sense of the details surrounding the replacement program, installation process, etc.....he has never done one of these, and has called around to all the area delaers and neither have they. Despite the fact that several hundred have been done nationally, it appears that none of the MD-DC-VA dealers have any experience with this.

SOOOOO, my question to you all - have any of you had this repair done anywhere near my location?? While Tasca Ford is on the East Coast, they are not exactly convenient for me to get to (a few states away)......any and ALL help would be greatly appreciated!! Just to show you the state of my scoop, here are a few snapshots I took of the scoop - I think it is actually worse in person, but it seems bad to me even in the pics.......

[

The closest place to me that has done one and (this is important), "willing to do another" was Auto Arts in Raleigh, NC (I'm in Charlottesville, VA). I checked in PA and MD but to no avail. I found a place in Virginia Beach that had done one but he would NOT do another.

The guys at Auto Arts have really worked out a process and have done about a dozen of these scoops including a few of the latest version (including mine). I drove the car down to Raleigh (north side of town and easy to get to). Rented a car from Enterprise (right across the highway from them), went home and came back a week later. The rental car was about $230.

The work these guys do is flawless! They did an awesome job on the stripes and they will even paint the stripe on the scoop and clear coat it for you for some extra $$ (which I recommend).

When the time comes to replace my stripes I'm taking the car back to them and having them paint them on and clear coat over them. They do awesome work.

The closest place to me that has done one and (this is important), "willing to do another" was Auto Arts in Raleigh, NC (I'm in Charlottesville, VA). I checked in PA and MD but to no avail. I found a place in Virginia Beach that had done one but he would NOT do another.

The guys at Auto Arts have really worked out a process and have done about a dozen of these scoops including a few of the latest version (including mine). I drove the car down to Raleigh (north side of town and easy to get to). Rented a car from Enterprise (right across the highway from them), went home and came back a week later. The rental car was about $230.

The work these guys do is flawless! They did an awesome job on the stripes and they will even paint the stripe on the scoop and clear coat it for you for some extra $$ (which I recommend).

When the time comes to replace my stripes I'm taking the car back to them and having them paint them on and clear coat over them. They do awesome work.

Thanks for the tip - I had read about these guys in the dedicated scoop thread....not close, but not un-doable. A question on this, though - what dealer did you use to work the warranty logistics so that these guys could do the install? I assume you had them do it under the warranty?

The Ford dealership contracted out the install of my scoop to a company named Auto Trim Design

out of the ATL. I went to the service dept and picked up the scoop and ATD came to my lot and

installed the new scoop. ADT took the old scoop back to the dealership.

I watched the removal of the old and installation of the new. That was nerve racking!

In short ... ask the dealership can they contract it out to a body shop or to a striping co.

Kevin

07SGT2591

Thanks for the tip - I had read about these guys in the dedicated scoop thread....not close, but not un-doable. A question on this, though - what dealer did you use to work the warranty logistics so that these guys could do the install? I assume you had them do it under the warranty?

Call Alan Hogan at 919-791-0040. They will set you up with the local Ford dealer to handle the claim. I forget who it was because Alan did all the work with the warranty. I did this back in February of this year so I don't know if anything has changed since then.

Good Luck!

They (Auto Arts) could also work with your local dealer, you can have your dealership file the warranty claim then issue AAs a PO for the work, you would need to bring the parts with you and return your old hood scoop so the local dealership would get paid by FPG. By the way, they did the work on my car (twice), my car is the VB coupe pictured on their website gallery.

Archived