TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Waiting Game - Version 2.0

If you have a small dealer in your area you might want to talk to them. My mom & pop shop not only got me one but gave me a hell of a deal also. Worth a phone call at least. A few of the big guys around me did not even call me back after I asked about ordering one vs. Buying the one they had.

Yeah, I'm thinking I should have reversed my buying process when it came to picking a dealership..I went to the biggest one...with the most mustangs, etc. I had the same experience too, when I called other "big" dealers they didn't even call me back to this date! WOW.

I have been contacted by several Dealer/salesmen offering to sell me a car in stock for MSRP or "slightly" below. The cars are not selling in most places and the Dealers do not want to get stuck with them again like before.

You must have really pushed the right button to have other dealers offering you cars. Didn't you have to talk to someone in Ford and they searched around for other dealers with open allocations or something? I guess I didn't get to that point yet.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my latest and I'm happy! I finally got what the dealer couldn't give me. Maybe if I call my dealer and ask "any status?" and then embarrass them with the info below if they have nothing new to report. Hmmm?

From Mr. X at Ford Business Center....

Dealer Code: F13154

Model Year: 10

Body Style: P8J

Order Num: 3027

Your VIN is: 1ZVBP8JS6A5140185

Here's the latest status of your order:

This order has been submitted to the plant just last week (7/16/09 to be exact). This has a build week of 8/3/09. I do not have an ETA to the dealership at this time, but what I'll do for you is keep my eye on this vehicle. Once I see it's been released from the plant, I'll make some phone calls to see if I can get this shipped ASAP for you.

I know it's been a while from when you ordered this…but at least we have more info about it now than we did before.

You don't need to cross state lines to do this. Dealers will swap cars with each other or they get them from the holding yard and they have plenty at the yard. I found two dealers that was trying to sale me what's on the floor, then I found two that's willing to get me the car from the holding yard, all four dealers were within a 20mile radius, just shop around and ask them to check their computer. When I bought my M5 it was the same way, everybody wanted $20K ADM, I went to a small dealer, they swapped the M5 with another big dealer and I got my car within 24hrs @ MSRP. When I bought my wife's 300C when it was first released, a lot of dealers wanted me to place an order with an addition $10K ADM, we found a dealer that got the car from their local holding yard and she drove it home within 48hrs. It doesn't hurt to talk to a few local small dealers to see if they can work out a deal with you, btw, I should be driving a Kona Blue/White this morning (dealer was ready to pick it up on a flatbed this morning) but my wife decided refinancing the house is more important :cry: , hopefully this refine is quick.

I wish I had your skill and knowledge for this...you are really good at getting them to pitch you offers. Maybe my negotiating skills aren't so sharp...

When you say the "holding yard"...are you referring to the plant in Michigan where they are loaded onto the trains? I'm a little confused.

Congrats on getting your car today! Awesome news!

I talked to my salesman on the phone yesterday and asked about allocations. he basically said that since his dealership is actually owned by Ford and not a privately owned place like John Doe Ford, he can get basically anything he wants. He mentioned Galpin Ford in CA as another dealer that seems to get whatever they want. He said he sold 20 GT500s last year and so far this year hes sold 3 that were ordered in March and has 6 orders in right now including mine. He too is puzzled with all the news that Ford is putting out. He mentioned how last week he had an order in for a car (not a GT500) and was told the car would not be built but then came in to work yesterday and saw the vehicle was pulled and assigned a VIN. He said he would bet money that all 6 orders he has in now will get built. Do I believe him? I dont know. If I happen to see a car on a lot that is very close to what I want then the wait will be over for me.

Hmm...I didn't know about the difference in Ford owned dealers...I guess that would make a little sense when you think about it. I don't know how to tell which is which...

Bizarre about the car that would not be built and then was pulled and assigned a VIN. If I were you, I would snag a car off a lot if at all possible. My only sticking point is color, I don't know about you...I definitely want the GB with White stripes...the options aren't the be all and end all. Only thing I really don't care for is the Navigation system. Luckily, these shelbys have most of the "options" as standard...so there's really not a huge customization factor to deal with.

BTW...it's now 12:30PM and no phone call from the dealership General Manager or Ford. :lurk:

Good luck with getting behind the wheel of the car that you want 2nd2none. Hope things work out for you.

Just got the call back from Ford...

"Please give us another 10 days to continue to look into your order..."

LOL! Yeah...right. The Rep was nice and everything..but couldn't provide any details or insight...she said another division or team is looking into it and it's been escalated. Oh boy. I got her extension number this time...so I will at least be able to check in with her directly.

I wish I had your skill and knowledge for this...you are really good at getting them to pitch you offers. Maybe my negotiating skills aren't so sharp...

When you say the "holding yard"...are you referring to the plant in Michigan where they are loaded onto the trains? I'm a little confused.

Congrats on getting your car today! Awesome news!

Holding yard (imagine a huge parking lot) is a local region where all the Ford vehicles are shipped and waiting to be processes and deliver to the local area dealerships. Some of the vehicles at the yard are already sold, some are not and waiting to go to showrooms, and some have been cancelled by customers. Typically, your local dealer will check with the holding yard to find you a vehicle fast while others will try to sale you what's on their lot. As for my negotiating skills, I didn't do much, I walked into DuPruett Ford (small dealer with only two desks) and asked if they have a GT500 in stock, they said no but after checking with the computer, he said they have four Kona GT500s in the holding yard belonging to no one and MSRP, I emailed Harrold's Ford and the Maggie emailed me back, they don't have any in stock but have a few coming this August (for 2 members here), but she said there's 4 Konas at the holding yard, she even emailed me a vin # of one of them, so basically I didn't do anything but ask around and if they are hurting for $$ then they will do the leg work for you.

Holding yard (imagine a huge parking lot) is a local region where all the Ford vehicles are shipped and waiting to be processes and deliver to the local area dealerships. Some of the vehicles at the yard are already sold, some are not and waiting to go to showrooms, and some have been canceled by customers. Typically, your local dealer will check with the holding yard to find you a vehicle fast while others will try to sale you what's on their lot.

As for my negotiating skills, I didn't do much, I walked into DuPruett Ford (small dealer with only two desks) and asked if they have a GT500 in stock, they said no but after checking with the computer, he said they have four Kona GT500s in the holding yard belonging to no one and MSRP, I emailed Harrold's Ford and the Maggie emailed me back, they don't have any in stock but have a few coming this August (for 2 members here), but she said there's 4 Konas at the holding yard, she even emailed me a vin # of one of them, so basically I didn't do anything but ask around and if they are hurting for $$ then they will do the leg work for you.

Thanks for the tip on the holding yard...another thing to ask about.

Maybe I'll take a trip to another Ford dealer and ask about the holding yard situation or swapping the cars.

Nearing end of the day and my Dealership General Manager did not call back...I just left another voice mail for him. Ridiculous! Yep, these guys are definitely getting a complaint logged against them through the Customer service line. The GM tells me give him 24 hours to come up with something...well, time's up Bubba!

Maybe I'll take a trip to another Ford dealer and ask about the holding yard situation or swapping the cars.

Nearing end of the day and my Dealership General Manager did not call back...I just left another voice mail for him. Ridiculous! Yep, these guys are definitely getting a complaint logged against them through the Customer service line. The GM tells me give him 24 hours to come up with something...well, time's up Bubba!

Hey Bill, thanks for the PM this afternoon. I just PM'ed you back. I got some info for you. Give me a call if you can & we can chat.

One of them at Harold Ford is mine Kona with Silver, maggie has been great and keeping me informed the entire process. I originally called Tom Anderson the Sales Manager back in June asking for a 2010 at the time he had already sold his first 2 allocations but told me he could probably find another, Maggie called a week later when I was out of town to say they found an allocation and just needed the options and $1000.00 down to order gave her my card and options and they came through at MSRP. Can't wait to meet them and pick it up hopefully in September as I have build week of 8/3

One of them at Harold Ford is mine Kona with Silver, maggie has been great and keeping me informed the entire process. I originally called Tom Anderson the Sales Manager back in June asking for a 2010 at the time he had already sold his first 2 allocations but told me he could probably find another, Maggie called a week later when I was out of town to say they found an allocation and just needed the options and $1000.00 down to order gave her my card and options and they came through at MSRP. Can't wait to meet them and pick it up hopefully in September as I have build week of 8/3

I talked to Maggie today, she gave me your car :hysterical: , J/K. She mentioned yours is coming.

I PM you Harrold Ford's contact info, maybe its worth it for you to fly out, pick it up, and break it in when you drive it home and taking the long way home :drool:

Yea I'm thinking about taking the coast up to the Columbia then over to Portland I grew up in Washington so will visit on the way to the barge in Seattle.

Isn't there ferry/ro-ro service out of Seattle or Vancouver so it would not have to go on a barge? Wouldn't think you could ride along on a tug and tow and I know I would not want the car out of my sight? Just wondering. Have a safe trip whichever way it has to travel.

Regards,

Jim

Blue,

Hey keeping to the topic of the thread, you can update me. Just got my build date today...8/10 is the current scheduled date.

However lady told me that VIN was not issued yet???WTF...Guess I am going to have to call back tomorrow. and try to get a CS rep who likes their job.

my order might have been pulled. salesman said he would call when i was issued a VIN. guy from another forum that also has an order in from the same salesman said he was there today and was told that my order was pulled. hopefully i'll get a call within the next few days with a VIN. Might be a coincidence but 2 days ago I sent an email to Ford customer service requesting status. they replied with what seemed like a generic letter saying material hold blah blah and they could not give an estimate on delivery date. I replied saying that was understandable but I just wanted an assurance the car was going to be made at some point so I dont get hosed like Blue did.

Ok why have I not received my VIN yet? I have a build date starting the week of 8-10. But my dealer says no VIN, Ford CS service says no VIN, in fact they told me that VIN would not be assigned until near end of build.

NOW I as well as all of you know that Ford CS is a remedial at best so all info from them is suspect.

But why the HELL can't I seem to get my VIN? :headscratch:

Ok why have I not received my VIN yet? I have a build date starting the week of 8-10. But my dealer says no VIN, Ford CS service says no VIN, in fact they told me that VIN would not be assigned until near end of build.

NOW I as well as all of you know that Ford CS is a remedial at best so all info from them is suspect.

But why the HELL can't I seem to get my VIN? :headscratch:

Ive had my VIN for well over a week and my build date is 8/3 with approximate delivery of 8/23

Yeah my pulled date was some time ago. I don't know, in fact the girl I talked to on the phone today did not even know she could look up an order without a VIN. She said, "I need a VIN # to track your order" I said really? Every other Rep just used my dealer sales code. She was LOST.... I told her "not a problem I will just call back and hope to get someone that knows what they are doing".....

I know that was mean, but everytime I call I get different info. Just weird.

Sounds funny, but even with things moving along....I STILL WANT MY VIN!!!!!! I want to be included with the group.. let me in ford, please let me in...

Every time I call Ford CS they tell me they can't look up anything without a VIN#. I've called back several times and get the same story. If any of you are fortunate enough to get someone more savvy on the phone can you run my numbers by the CS Rep and see what they tell you? I only ordered on July 3rd, so I'm probably a few weeks away from having my order pulled. Last week my dealer told me that the Factory confirmed their allocation and my car, but they were working on the schedule.

Dealer sales code: 13E454

Body style code: P8K

Model Year: 2010

Dealer order #: C703

Thanks,

Tom

Every time I call Ford CS they tell me they can't look up anything without a VIN#. I've called back several times and get the same story. If any of you are fortunate enough to get someone more savvy on the phone can you run my numbers by the CS Rep and see what they tell you? I only ordered on July 3rd, so I'm probably a few weeks away from having my order pulled. Last week my dealer told me that the Factory confirmed their allocation and my car, but they were working on the schedule.

Thanks,

Tom

Are you calling 1800 392 3673 ? Press #1/ #5 / #2 / #1........?? They have helped me everytime I have called, without a VIN.

Thanks,

Tom

Keep calling them back. See my struggle in sig. I never got dealer satisfaction and was finally called by Ford because of the stink I made on Facebook. They actually look at that stuff and provided me with more information about my car, schedule, and even emailed me today to say the car is going on the production line next week rather than on 8/3. Every few days I get a new email. They might even give me web cam access to see my car built :do what:

Thanks,

Tom

As the others have mentioned...just keep calling back. You'll be surprised in the variance of intelligence and knowledge there is from representative to representative. You'll eventually get a good one...also...it seems that the smarter ones seem to work near the end of the week - but that may be just a coincidence.

So today is FRIDAY! Hmm...PULL DAY! I'm not seeing a lot of activity though. I'm going to call on mine...Yes, my order is still "technically" in the system. I'm now operating on "miracle mode" for it.

Next week I'll be getting my refund and "pulling" the order myself! LOL!

I'm hoping to have a car at the end of next week...I have a few potential options and alternate plans. We'll see...but I've got to get this done...I'm making myself sick over this whole process. I'm to the point where it's not even exciting to think about getting the car...I'm just drained.

As the others have mentioned...just keep calling back. You'll be surprised in the variance of intelligence and knowledge there is from representative to representative. You'll eventually get a good one...also...it seems that the smarter ones seem to work near the end of the week - but that may be just a coincidence.

So today is FRIDAY! Hmm...PULL DAY! I'm not seeing a lot of activity though. I'm going to call on mine...Yes, my order is still "technically" in the system. I'm now operating on "miracle mode" for it.

Next week I'll be getting my refund and "pulling" the order myself! LOL!

I'm hoping to have a car at the end of next week...I have a few potential options and alternate plans. We'll see...but I've got to get this done...I'm making myself sick over this whole process. I'm to the point where it's not even exciting to think about getting the car...I'm just drained.

I think you may be right about the smarter people answering the phones towards the end of the week. I just called again and got a knowledgeable person. The dealer code was wrong so they gave me the correct one. Once they found it the status I was given was "Order on Hold awaiting Material". At least it hasn't been cancelled "yet".

Good luck with your order, hopefully things have changed for the better.

Thanks. I'll try again today. I knew I was in trouble when calling and the each person had to keep putting me on hold to check a different system only to come back with the same answer "I need a VIN".

Good luck with your order, hopefully things have changed for the better.

Tell them to minimize Solitaire so they can see their System/36 screen.

Thanks,

Tom

Are they saying that dealer sales code is no good? I was given a number like yours with numbers then letter then more numbers. This was not their "sales" code it was their dealer ID code.

The CS rep found the dealer by ZIP CODE!!! So yes they can find your order w/o the sales code.

However my correct sales code starts with a letter and then 5 numbers. So call the dealer back and make sure they gave your their "sales code" and not "dealer code"

Also you can ask the rep to look it up with dealer zip code. Tell them this is how they did it last time and the CS rep will feel stupid and find someone who can do it.

Well, as I mentioned....just for laughs I checked on the status of my "order". The rep told me currently my order is being investigated by a customer solutions representative. They have a call back date set for the end of next week. LOL!

Ah...it's Friday..I'm car-less. It's hopeless. If were a drinker of the adult beverage..I have a feeling that this weekend would be one for the ages. As it is however..I'm just going to sulk in my self-pity for the next 48+ hours. Never thought in a million years that it would be this much of a hassle to buy a car. Oh my.

SOMEBODY HELP ME! :cry:

Archived