TEAM SHELBY FORUM

convertible tops

Torched10

thought id post for those who may be owning a ragtop for the first time.Cleaned mine yesterday, after a month of ownership.Black tops are a bear,they show all the dust,drops of whatever from trees, etc. My drill is to just wet it down,apply water,and car wash soap, and use a wash mitt to get the dust/dirt off the top.Let it sit for a few minutes then hose it off,and pat it down with a good towel.Do not use a hard bristle brush or soem kind of scouring pad.Then let it sit in the sun and dry outThis is not a vinyl top, its some kind of canvas,and if you subject it to abrasive brusihng,rubbing, the fabric will lay down on you over the top frame and it will NEVER look right.There will be streaks in it .I know i did that on may last one,since i wasnt used to the canvas

2nd, NEVER put the top down if the top is dirty,and especially dont put the boot on.The top vibrates and the dirt will rub into the itself,and stain the top,especially on a black top.If the boot is on it makes it worse beacuse now its rubbing under pressure, thats why,even thought the boot is really ugly for the Shelby and i wouldnt use it anyway, i NEVER use a boot on any car.

Any suggestions from anyone elses experience would be appreciated

thought id post for those who may be owning a ragtop for the first time.Cleaned mine yesterday, after a month of ownership.Black tops are a bear,they show all the dust,drops of whatever from trees, etc. My drill is to just wet it down,apply water,and car wash soap, and use a wash mitt to get the dust/dirt off the top.Let it sit for a few minutes then hose it off,and pat it down with a good towel.Do not use a hard bristle brush or soem kind of scouring pad.Then let it sit in the sun and dry outThis is not a vinyl top, its some kind of canvas,and if you subject it to abrasive brusihng,rubbing, the fabric will lay down on you over the top frame and it will NEVER look right.There will be streaks in it .I know i did that on may last one,since i wasnt used to the canvas

2nd, NEVER put the top down if the top is dirty,and especially dont put the boot on.The top vibrates and the dirt will rub into the itself,and stain the top,especially on a black top.If the boot is on it makes it worse beacuse now its rubbing under pressure, thats why,even thought the boot is really ugly for the Shelby and i wouldnt use it anyway, i NEVER use a boot on any car.

vert is new to me so looking to learn from others... been keeping mine dry when I wash the car... It's finally starting to show dust and lint..

I was thinking a lint roller might work?!?

I haven't even unfolded the boot to see what it looks like on the car!

Lint rollers are good between washes. When I wash the car I usually only just spray down the top with water only. Every once in a while I will use car wash soap on it but the plain water is fine. I do not use towels on it, just let it dry and it does dry fairly quick down here. A leaf blower will help it along if it is cooler.

Lint rollers are good between washes. When I wash the car I usually only just spray down the top with water only. Every once in a while I will use car wash soap on it but the plain water is fine. I do not use towels on it, just let it dry and it does dry fairly quick down here. A leaf blower will help it along if it is cooler.

Lint roller--thats sounds like good idea--where would i get one of those.I use the towels to dry it,since sometimes youll have a slight stain that will come out when you rub it gently with a towel.Its so humid here i ATL,that it take forever to dry if i didnt towel it

Wal Mart, Target, those type of stores. Sometimes they are in the pet section for pet hair removal from clothes. On a handle with a roll of sticky paper that is perforated so you can tear off a used up section for a new sticky piece.

Lint roller--thats sounds like good idea--where would i get one of those.I use the towels to dry it,since sometimes youll have a slight stain that will come out when you rub it gently with a towel.Its so humid here i ATL,that it take forever to dry if i didnt towel it

Bed Bath and Beyond has them. Another idea is to get the sticky type. It's not really sticky, but some rubber polymer (poly-propylene) like a soft hockey rollerblade wheel that picks up all sorts of stuff. I have one at home to clean my pants after the filthy cats say "hi" to me when I get home.

Or just use clear packing tape like if you were waxing your back.

Bed Bath and Beyond has them. Another idea is to get the sticky type. It's not really sticky, but some rubber polymer (poly-propylene) like a soft hockey rollerblade wheel that picks up all sorts of stuff. I have one at home to clean my pants after the filthy cats say "hi" to me when I get home.

Or just use clear packing tape like if you were waxing your back.

Thanks--Waxing my back??

I wash mine about every third or forth time I wash the car. I use car wash soap and a mitt. Once I am done I rinse good. The main thing I can contribute here is to use THE ABSORBER to dry your car. It also works great on the top as well! Dries it right away. The absorber is a synthetic chamois that does not leave any marks on your car. I have used the same one for two years and it has been great. I just bought a new one the other day but like I said it dries the top right away and you don't get lint on your top when you are trying to dry it.

I dont wash mine any more, there is all kinds of info on the internet that says to vacuum the top only. I also use cloth UV protectant called RAGG TOPP. Something else , about not putting the convertible top boot on, the way the top folds down it is like a big bug and dirt catcher at the front... just my .02

I dont wash mine any more, there is all kinds of info on the internet that says to vacuum the top only. I also use cloth UV protectant called RAGG TOPP. Something else , about not putting the convertible top boot on, the way the top folds down it is like a big bug and dirt catcher at the front... just my .02

great input--ill buy some today.Id worry on the vacuuming idea that it'd streak,and does it get out things like tree sap,bird droppings.Guess if its not really too dirty,vacuuming will do the job--if its got stains clean it. BTW, when i put water on the top, it beaded up like theres some protectant already on it--thanks again

I use 303 Fabric Cleaner and 303 Protectant. The fabric guard protects against harmful UV rays and repels dust and water. When cleaning it every few months or so I use my wash mit which is gentle on the fabric and don't have to scour or agitate to remove the dirt. Bird droppings are always my worry but they come right off with no stain with the fabric guard.

Ok bought the kit off Amazon for Ragg Topp.Im sure it gives instructions, but how do you apply the protectant--just spray on,or rub it in--how often.Are there any issues with it coming onto the windows when it gets wet--also what is it about washing it that the interent says is an issue--thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
Ok bought the kit off Amazon for Ragg Topp.Im sure it gives instructions, but how do you apply the protectant--just spray on,or rub it in--how often.Are there any issues with it coming onto the windows when it gets wet--also what is it about washing it that the interent says is an issue--thanks again

Well applied the Ragg Topp product--it looks great!!Took off a few small stains,then let it dry and applied the spray coating---3 coats.taped off the top to make sure nothing got on the windows and paint--it dried really well.The directions say applying it to a new top really extends the life of the top and keeps dust and stains from attaching to the top--we'll see

Well applied the Ragg Topp product--it looks great!!Took off a few small stains,then let it dry and applied the spray coating---3 coats.taped off the top to make sure nothing got on the windows and paint--it dried really well.The directions say applying it to a new top really extends the life of the top and keeps dust and stains from attaching to the top--we'll see

Spoke to the folks at Ragg Topp today==turns out their product made by Haartz is on 90% of the fabirc and viny; tops from the factory.Its put on in roll form,so that the only reason to spray it on after purchase is to protect the stitching/seams.Turns out thats the weakness in the tops,which makes sense.He also said its not necessary to wash the top,in fact,again, it hurtr the stitching over teim.He suggests either vacuuming or the 3M lint roller product

Archived