TEAM SHELBY FORUM

wreck Shelby

My wife was leaving the downriver cruise driving our Shelby when a man driving a Taurus decide to make a left hand turn right in front of her. now the battle begins with the insurance company they said car is repairable cost is $25,000 and may go up to $29,000 i told him the car should be total.

post-19643-1247496614_thumb.jpgpost-19643-1247496642_thumb.jpgpost-19643-1247496657_thumb.jpg

post-19643-1247496614_thumb.jpg

post-19643-1247496642_thumb.jpg

post-19643-1247496657_thumb.jpg

My wife was leaving the downriver cruise driving our Shelby when a man driving a Taurus decide to make a left hand turn right in front of her. now the battle begins with the insurance company they said car is repairable cost is $25,000 and may go up to $29,000 i told him the car should be total.

post-19643-1247496614_thumb.jpgpost-19643-1247496642_thumb.jpgpost-19643-1247496657_thumb.jpg

Hope the guy with the Taurus was insured!

How is your wife ?

Robert

Ouch, regards to your wife, hope she is OK. That is most important the the way I see it.

my goodness glad wife is ok. I will fight tooth and nail with insurance bastards to total it.

Edit:

did he turn left in front of her so he was on her right side? The left corner is clipped though?

wife is ok she is heartbroken about the car, she was doing about 35 miles hour when the guy made the turn he actually hit her on the drivers side in front of the front tire he did receive a ticket and several people remain at the scene as witness for the police report that there was nothing she could have done

The most important thing is that your wife is not injured. My wife had a near identical accident a few years ago and was not as fortunate, OK now but needed a major shoulder surgery and 6 mos of therapy to get there.

You might consider trading that car plus the insurance check on an instock new 08,09 or 10. I would not want that car after sustaining that level of damage.

The most important thing is that your wife is not injured. .....

You might consider trading that car plus the insurance check on an instock new 08,09 or 10. I would not want that car after sustaining that level of damage.

+1 Good luck with the outcome.... That's the thing that scares me, you're out minding your own business doing everything right and someone with their head up a certain part of their anatomy pulls a bonehead move and you're left holding the ball. Now you have to fight and spend your time and sometimes money to fix it. Don't get me wrong, I know accidents happen. It just always winds up that the guy in the right winds up getting screwed!!!

Let the adjuster know that not only will they be paying the $29k repair and MONTHS of a high end rental car (you are entitled to a rental of comparable quality to what was removed from servce, Hertz rents Vetts) but they will also be on the hook for a settlement of diminished value to be determined by appraisal AFTER the repairs are done. Once they know that you know what you are entitled to and that you do not intend to back down, they usually take the easy way out and total the car if its even close. At $29k its more than close.

Good luck.

wife is ok she is heartbroken about the car, she was doing about 35 miles hour when the guy made the turn he actually hit her on the drivers side in front of the front tire he did receive a ticket and several people remain at the scene as witness for the police report that there was nothing she could have done

gosh almost like head on, so he was in the on coming traffic, that will double the speed glad she is fine, no doubt the car should be totaled and hopfully the compensation will be to your liking, they will pull strings but should be totaled.

Let the adjuster know that not only will they be paying the $29k repair and MONTHS of a high end rental car (you are entitled to a rental of comparable quality to what was removed from servce, Hertz rents Vetts) but they will also be on the hook for a settlement of diminished value to be determined by appraisal AFTER the repairs are done. Once they know that you know what you are entitled to and that you do not intend to back down, they usually take the easy way out and total the car if its even close. At $29k its more than close.

Good luck.

+1

I wouldn't settle for this vehicle being repaired.

Glad your wife is ok

First off: I am glad that your wife is good. From the pics, it could've turned out much worse, especially considering that it was located on her side of the vehicle.

From a personal injury attorney standpoint:

1) sucks that you are in a "no fault" state---Michigan

2) if it is a total loss, you are not entitled to rental reimbursement after they offer you a total loss offer (and depending on the insurance company, not entitled to rental at all).

3) if you don't get rental, make a claim for "loss of use" and make sure that you used your vehicle for work.

4) Diminised value claims are VERY HARD TO MAKE STICK, and will often times require an expert at trial to testify and those are not considered court costs (at least not in Texas).

5) if you want the vehicle totaled, then keep looking for a body shop that finds frame damage/severe engine damage, etc. get another estimtate, supplement that estimate to the adjuster

6) if you are stuck with the body shop that the company chooses, or if you are already in the repair process, then visit the shop daily, take lots of photos; look for imperfections, do not accept the vehicle w/o an extensive test drive and take it back when it doesn't operate like it should.

7) all in all, most insurance companies will "total" a vehicle when the costs of repair meet or exceed 75-85% of the vehicle worth, depending on the insurance company.

8) if totaling is what you want, then find a KBB/NADA private party value that shows your vehicle to be worth approximately $36,250, 80% of which would be $29,000.00; if you can prove to them that its a total loss, and back it up with paperwork, they won't beef you too much.

9) if all else fails, and they are adamant about repairing the vehicle, ask them how much it would be to rent you a vette for the time the Shelby is in the shop; $100 a day for 30 days is extra wampum, and that might be enough to get them to total out the vehicle.

Keep in mind that your wife will have a BI (bodily injury) claim when the property damages are all settled.

just my .02, but I didn't see any other PI attorneys chime in, so I'm good for something at least.

good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

This is all our biggest fear!

We take such great car of our Shelby's and some idot does that!

Have to be thankfull your wife is ok.

Todd

Glad your wife is ok.

Like others have said, just show them the math it's that simple.

I was in a similar situation with my wife, she got rear rear ended in her 9 month old suv and they wanted to fix it. I spoke with the adjuster about the costs they will incur to fix it:

Vehicle repair cost + rental cost of vehicle of like and kind (insurance company owes this to you because you are the one suffering the loss because you were not at fault) + I let them know I was going to go after them for diminished value (vehicle incurred major frame damage) + finding additional hidden damage while tearing down the vehicle = insurance company declairing it a total loss

In PA, diminished value is determined by an expert AFTER the repairs are made and it basically rates the quality of the repair. Even if the repair is 100% undetectable, based on the damage (especially if it sustained frame damage) there will be diminished value.

Good luck.

good advice- glad your wife is ok. Insurance companies sometimes make bad things a little tougher- but in the long run you will win= you are already way ahead your wife is fine- That has to be a total or a salvage title- they must not know the value of these cars- somehow I think they will soon learn- good luck

First off: I am glad that your wife is good. From the pics, it could've turned out much worse, especially considering that it was located on her side of the vehicle.

From a personal injury attorney standpoint:

1) sucks that you are in a "no fault" state---Michigan

2) if it is a total loss, you are not entitled to rental reimbursement after they offer you a total loss offer (and depending on the insurance company, not entitled to rental at all).

3) if you don't get rental, make a claim for "loss of use" and make sure that you used your vehicle for work.

4) Diminised value claims are VERY HARD TO MAKE STICK, and will often times require an expert at trial to testify and those are not considered court costs (at least not in Texas).

5) if you want the vehicle totaled, then keep looking for a body shop that finds frame damage/severe engine damage, etc. get another estimtate, supplement that estimate to the adjuster

6) if you are stuck with the body shop that the company chooses, or if you are already in the repair process, then visit the shop daily, take lots of photos; look for imperfections, do not accept the vehicle w/o an extensive test drive and take it back when it doesn't operate like it should.

7) all in all, most insurance companies will "total" a vehicle when the costs of repair meet or exceed 75-85% of the vehicle worth, depending on the insurance company.

8) if totaling is what you want, then find a KBB/NADA private party value that shows your vehicle to be worth approximately $36,250, 80% of which would be $29,000.00; if you can prove to them that its a total loss, and back it up with paperwork, they won't beef you too much.

9) if all else fails, and they are adamant about repairing the vehicle, ask them how much it would be to rent you a vette for the time the Shelby is in the shop; $100 a day for 30 days is extra wampum, and that might be enough to get them to total out the vehicle.

Keep in mind that your wife will have a BI (bodily injury) claim when the property damages are all settled.

just my .02, but I didn't see any other PI attorneys chime in, so I'm good for something at least.

good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Yahoo! :yahoo: Our very own Shelby Personal Attorney! I will have to remember that.

Glad she's ok! Sorry about the car...that's my wife's greatest fear that it'll get wrecked while she's driving it. I keep telling her I'll just take a deep breath and keep repeating, it's only a car, it's only a car! Good luck with the insurance--hold their feet to the fire!

Archived