TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Drag Racing Tips

I'm thinking of running my SS at the drag strip in Myrtle beach during Mustang Week.

I really don't want to change wheels just for a couple of runs but had a couple of questions.

I'm wondering I'll be able to avoid spinning the wheels with the rev limiter off, normally I have it on all the time and don't know what impact it has on the overall performance.

Another though was to help me with shifting, I could install a shift light to help me shift

without having to watch the tack and worry about hitting the rev limiter.

( it would be easier for me to shift to a light than the tach)

There is room to drill a small hole for a light on the added SS dash pod.

If anyone has done this, I would love to see a photo.

Looking forward to Myrtle beach :)

I'm thinking of running my SS at the drag strip in Myrtle beach during Mustang Week.

I really don't want to change wheels just for a couple of runs but had a couple of questions.

I'm wondering I'll be able to avoid spinning the wheels with the rev limiter off, normally I have it on all the time and don't know what impact it has on the overall performance.

Another though was to help me with shifting, I could install a shift light to help me shift

without having to watch the tack and worry about hitting the rev limiter.

( it would be easier for me to shift to a light than the tach)

There is room to drill a small hole for a light on the added SS dash pod.

If anyone has done this, I would love to see a photo.

Looking forward to Myrtle beach :)

The GT500 already has a built in shift light (other than the goofy arrow on the left for "prime" mpg). If you use your set up button, the one where your "My Color" settings can be changed, there is a set up point so that the SVT lights up at any point you determine. Check your manual for more info. Hope that helps.

I am shocked at how good the traction on my 725hp SS is, everyone always says how much they spin, I don't think mine is any worse than it was before. I don't know if it is the new tires p 0- 285 or if the new control arms help that much, or if it is not pulling like it should be

I am shocked at how good the traction on my 725hp SS is, everyone always says how much they spin, I don't think mine is any worse than it was before. I don't know if it is the new tires p 0- 285 or if the new control arms help that much, or if it is not pulling like it should be

I agree with you. I can hammer mine really hard mid 2nd and up and its very controlable with the TC on. The 1st time I pulled 2nd hard with the TC off I quickly saw how much it was was helping me!

If you have never raced before then traction will be your biggest issue. Heating stock tires is not going to help very much. I would avoid the water box, do a couple dry hops and stage. You are going to have to launch at a fairly low PRM to avoid massive wheelspin. It is just going to take practice. Might want to try this - launch with TCS on then after the shift to second turn it off (if you think you can safely do that). I have tried it and can do it without looking down.

Plus a lot will depend on the condition of the track.

• 2 weeks later...
The GT500 already has a built in shift light (other than the goofy arrow on the left for "prime" mpg). If you use your set up button, the one where your "My Color" settings can be changed, there is a set up point so that the SVT lights up at any point you determine. Check your manual for more info. Hope that helps.

Thanks

Archived