TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pirelli PZero 295/35ZR20's

I have been reading all the threads on widening the rear tires and the problems with the larger diameter of the 305's (28.4" dia.). Sounds like you have to raise the car back up a lot to prevent rubbing with the Shelby/Eibach suspension. I am wanting to minimize how much I have to raise the rear while adding more rubber. I know I could go with the 285/35's (27.8" dia.) and be close to the current 275/35's (27.7" dia.) but I just noticed the new 295/35's on TireRack. It does not inidicate the manufactures diameter but I figure it about 28.1". Should fit real well on a 10.5" wheel. Might still have to raise the rear a bit but maybe not as much as the 305s? What do you think?

I have been reading all the threads on widening the rear tires and the problems with the larger diameter of the 305's (28.4" dia.). Sounds like you have to raise the car back up a lot to prevent rubbing with the Shelby/Eibach suspension. I am wanting to minimize how much I have to raise the rear while adding more rubber. I know I could go with the 285/35's (27.8" dia.) and be close to the current 275/35's (27.7" dia.) but I just noticed the new 295/35's on TireRack. It does not inidicate the manufactures diameter but I figure it about 28.1". Should fit real well on a 10.5" wheel. Might still have to raise the rear a bit but maybe not as much as the 305s? What do you think?

Your remarks are on point. My experience was that on the street, the 305's worked well and did not rub or bottom out. But when on the track, I did have to raise the rear back up the .7 inches to keep from rubbing. I would prefer to have the car lowered. I think the answer is going back to an 18 x 11 inch wheel for the track.

Thx Cobrafan, I can understand using 18's on the track and having more choices without rubbing while having more rubber. I am talking street use at this point. Did you like the fit of the 305's on a 10.5" wheel or would you go 11" if you had to do in over again? Right now I am leaning toward a 295/35 or 305/35 replacement for the rears with widened wheels. Anyone else have a thought on this?

Thx Cobrafan, I can understand using 18's on the track and having more choices without rubbing while having more rubber. I am talking street use at this point. Did you like the fit of the 305's on a 10.5" wheel or would you go 11" if you had to do in over again? Right now I am leaning toward a 295/35 or 305/35 replacement for the rears with widened wheels. Anyone else have a thought on this?

Slabo,

The 10.5 are perfect. I'd stick with the 10.5. A friend did 11 and put 305/35/20 drag radials on and when he lowered the pressure at the drags in Tulsa, he rubbed on the inside of the wheel well. Would not have happened with a 10.5 widdening. If you are talking only for street use, the 305/35/20 and maybe .3 or .4 inches adjusted up on your coil overs should give you plenty of clearance for all situations. Still gets the lowered look with the much bigger tires.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Slabo,Have you decided on what size tires yet? I'm probably going with Pirelli P Zero Nero 305 30 20 and new razors widened to 11", and keep the original ones. The diameter is 27.2 and 12.3 wide. This way I believe 11" wheels will be alright and I don't have to fool with raising the rear. This should give me 3/4 - 1" clearance in the back of tire after removing the brake duct. I like the 11" over 10.5" because you have less sidewall bulge. Has anyone else tried this combination?

Don

Hi Slabo,Have you decided on what size tires yet? I'm probably going with Pirelli P Zero Nero 305 30 20 and new razors widened to 11", and keep the original ones. The diameter is 27.2 and 12.3 wide. This way I believe 11" wheels will be alright and I don't have to fool with raising the rear. This should give me 3/4 - 1" clearance in the back of tire after removing the brake duct. I like the 11" over 10.5" because you have less sidewall bulge. Has anyone else tried this combination?

Don

Hi Don, well now you may have found a combo that will work by using a 305/30 tire! It will be just .4" smaller than the 275/35s and the same as the fronts. I don't know the difference between the PZero Nero and the PZero do you? Anyway, I would do the same as you and go 11" for this tire. It should fit real nice with minimal bulge as you mention. On a 10.5" wheel I would do a 295/35. I am still wanting to put more rubber out back but I am currently having clear bra (Venture Shield) installed on the car. That :censored: is expensive! Also the stock pattern for the front bumper does not work for us since our stripes are slightly skinnier than the stock Ford stripes so more cu$tom work. So I will need to build up the mod budget again.

Looks like between you and FlyBoy we may have these options figured out. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

-- Bob

That is why I'm going with 305 30 20 and not the 305 35 20's which are 28.58 tall. I agree that 305 35 are too tall. The 30's are only 27.2" tall. The 295 35 20 are 28.13" with a 10.5" rim seems to work out great for others. I'm just trying to get a little more rubber on the ground by going with an aspect ratio 30. What manufacture did you go with FLYBOY? Thanks for the help.

What wheel sare you guys using? Does the shelby alcoa come in 20x11 by chance? I would love to add some wider rears and bigger rubber. I think the kr rides higher then the super snake but lower than stock gt500. A set of 305's on an 11inch wheel would look good.

What wheel sare you guys using? Does the shelby alcoa come in 20x11 by chance? I would love to add some wider rears and bigger rubber. I think the kr rides higher then the super snake but lower than stock gt500. A set of 305's on an 11inch wheel would look good.

The 40th's come with the Razors and are 9" wide so we have to have them widened.

That is why I'm going with 305 30 20 and not the 305 35 20's which are 28.58 tall. I agree that 305 35 are too tall. The 30's are only 27.2" tall. The 295 35 20 are 28.13" with a 10.5" rim seems to work out great for others. I'm just trying to get a little more rubber on the ground by going with an aspect ratio 30. What manufacture did you go with FLYBOY? Thanks for the help.

I think tire options are limited in the 305/30R20's but another choice are the Toyo T1Rs.

Bob, the specs are actually better on the Nero than the P Zero. Performane plus has a price of $437.00 and Tire rack is $306.00. The height is actually less than our 275's and 1 3/4" wider. I'm not a 100% on the smaller side walls, but a lot of ZR1 people love that tire.

i have the pirelli pzero 275/35 upfront and 305/35 out back. i was going with pzero 295/35 for the rear, but you guys now have me thinking about the 305/30 again. and these pirellis are too expensive for how they perform. i may wait to hear reports on other brands and see how the 305/30 looks.

I think tire options are limited in the 305/30R20's but another choice are the Toyo T1Rs.

Bob,

If you really want your 40th to be even more limited, you could go with the new state of the art ultra high performance Pirelli Trofeo coming out soon. Now that is a limited option. I can't find a price on them, but if they go on Ferrari's I probably don't want to know anyway. Your clear bra sounds like a great mod and the custom work will be worth it. After all, it's only $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Toyo T1R's are great tires. What do you mean by options being limited on the 305 30?

Just that a was looking for 305/30's in other popular tires like BFG KDW 2's, Pilot Sport PS2's or Nitto's and could not find that size.

Bob,

If you really want your 40th to be even more limited, you could go with the new state of the art ultra high performance Pirelli Trofeo coming out soon. Now that is a limited option. I can't find a price on them, but if they go on Ferrari's I probably don't want to know anyway. Your clear bra sounds like a great mod and the custom work will be worth it. After all, it's only $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah I just read the SEMA press release. Those sound sweet. I agree, I am not sure I want to see the price. :spend:

Where have you found the Toyo tires online?

Tiresdirect.net had the best price I found at $343.24 305/30. I spent more time searching Pirelli to get as close to the P Zero's in front.

Also $324 at Treadepot http://www.treadepot.com/tire/246600.html?CID=3

but you need to check shipping with all these online sites to get a true price comparison...

• 3 weeks later...
I'll be swapping my 305 Pirellis for 295s soon. The 305 is just a bit too tall and wide for the Razor wheel offset. I think the 295 would fit perfect for all occasions.

the razor wheels come with different offsets. I exchanged the recommended wheels w/ 6in. BS for the 6.5 in backspace and it's perfect. I shouldn't have any issues going to a 305 tire.

Archived