TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Great GLHS photo

86glhs76

It looks nice and new from a distance. I was expecting some airborne GLHS coming over a hill like the General Lee!

Been there....done that.....

happened in Oklahoma back in 1997 I think.....maybe 1998.

Bad news is that road is long gone now....bet the people that owned the house right in front of that hill sure miss the shows....

• 1 year later...

What do these 5 cars all have in common? All chassis' designed in Europe and they all kick ass! Probably all turbos too :)

Intresting how someone into Shelby Dodges has no clue there not VW / Audi / porsche based. You do relize that Chrysler designed and built water cooled 4 cylinder FWD cars for 10 YEARS before VW right? All VW had into the early 70s was an air cooled RWD boxer setup. Chrysler bought engines from Renault for many years before they bought them from VW, maybe all VWs are them Renault's? :redcard: Fact is that Chrysler's north American plant that built the 2.2 and 2.5 is the same plant that built the big blocks. Motor homes were still being built with the 440 in 79 and it took time before they could convert the factory to build the 2.2. What if Chrysler built the Omni's here with a turbo Renault like in Europe, even in the 2 door design. Or what if Chrysler sold the 2 door RWD Lotus 16v powered Omni here? That may have really confused fools that think VW designed it LMAO. Even the 64 Simca had torsen bar front suspension, it's just that in the 60's Americans wanted the 426 Hemi, not a 4 banger, here. Here are a few non VW and non Chrysler powered Omni's.

post-11184-128128220582_thumb.jpg

post-11184-128128221991_thumb.jpg

post-11184-12812822321_thumb.jpg

post-11184-128128223899_thumb.jpg

Intresting how someone into Shelby Dodges has no clue there not VW / Audi / porsche based. You do relize that Chrysler designed and built water cooled 4 cylinder FWD cars for 10 YEARS before VW right? All VW had into the early 70s was an air cooled RWD boxer setup. Chrysler bought engines from Renault for many years before they bought them from VW, maybe all VWs are them Renault's? :redcard: Fact is that Chrysler's north American plant that built the 2.2 and 2.5 is the same plant that built the big blocks. Motor homes were still being built with the 440 in 79 and it took time before they could convert the factory to build the 2.2. What if Chrysler built the Omni's here with a turbo Renault like in Europe, even in the 2 door design. Or what if Chrysler sold the 2 door RWD Lotus 16v powered Omni here? That may have really confused fools that think VW designed it LMAO. Even the 64 Simca had torsen bar front suspension, it's just that in the 60's Americans wanted the 426 Hemi, not a 4 banger, here. Here are a few non VW and non Chrysler powered Omni's.

post-11184-128128220582_thumb.jpg

post-11184-128128221991_thumb.jpg

post-11184-12812822321_thumb.jpg

post-11184-128128223899_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ummmmm...you do know that the chassis and bodies for both the 4 door L-body and the VW Rabbit were designed, licensed and based off of the French Talbot Horizon, right? So if you really trace the roots, then yes, all of those vehicles are using European designed chassis. As for the 2.2, it was primarily designed by the designer of the Slant 6, and indeed, shares many engine geometry similarities (and weaknesses) of the Slant 6.

Ummmmm...you do know that the chassis and bodies for both the 4 door L-body and the VW Rabbit were designed, licensed and based off of the French Talbot Horizon, right? So if you really trace the roots, then yes, all of those vehicles are using European designed chassis. As for the 2.2, it was primarily designed by the designer of the Slant 6, and indeed, shares many engine geometry similarities (and weaknesses) of the Slant 6.

Interesting, I've never heard about the 2.2 and slant 6 connection before, but I am sure that the 2.2 bottom end was engineered by the same guy that did the 340 V8. We had a former Chrysler VP speak to us at SDAC-10 and his talk was entirely on the design and history of the 2.2. He mentioned the link to the 340 engineering team during his talk.

Interesting, I've never heard about the 2.2 and slant 6 connection before, but I am sure that the 2.2 bottom end was engineered by the same guy that did the 340 V8. We had a former Chrysler VP speak to us at SDAC-10 and his talk was entirely on the design and history of the 2.2. He mentioned the link to the 340 engineering team during his talk.

I've heard about the slant 6 and 2.2 connection before. It kind of makes sense when you think about it. The 2.2 was born during the darkest bankruptcy days at Chrysler so I'm sure the edict was spend as little money as possible by borrowing from other engine groups. The slant 6 was the smallest domestic engine in Chryslers lineup at that time so again in my mind the connection makes sense.

Steve

• 4 months later...

Although the European Horizons share basically the same body with our Omnis the chassis is totally different, both front and rear suspensions are worlds apart. That's the front wheel drive versions along with the Lotus rear wheel drive cars. What is interesting to me is that the European versions were available with power windows, locks and sunroof. Even headlight washer, wipers and a trip computer.

Thanks

Randy

• 4 weeks later...

I was there! I saw that.......

:)

• 3 weeks later...

A Simca and a Talbot are both Chrysler's, the fact they aren't sold here doesn't matter. That is like saying Dodge trucks were designed and come from Canada by Fargo, LMAO. The Slant has 6 cylinders and 4 mains, the 2.2 has 4 cylinders and 5 mains, weakness?

• 1 year later...

Ok, so this was a really old thread but here are a few more pictures of 496.... not mine, but a friend of mine -- runs with mostly with COMSCC sports car club and occasionally with the Porsche and BMW clubs on an invitational basis. Great driver fast car, really surprises a lot of guys.

post-36099-0-45912400-1331904759_thumb.jpg

post-36099-0-19844600-1331904827_thumb.jpg

post-36099-0-45912400-1331904759_thumb.jpg

post-36099-0-19844600-1331904827_thumb.jpg

Archived