TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Walk Around

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone created a check sheet for common things to look for on delivery day. Things that rust, chip, blemish. Also, things that look pretty darn good and deserve kudos to Ford for not screwing it up on the line.

Anything out there as I take delivery, hopefully, next month.

Thanks'

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone created a check sheet for common things to look for on delivery day. Things that rust, chip, blemish. Also, things that look pretty darn good and deserve kudos to Ford for not screwing it up on the line.

Thanks'

Im sure you'll get many comments---mine would be,look for chips,dings esp around the doors.

Make sure everything elec work, windows a/c etc. Bring a CD to try out the cd player.Look under the rear end for rust,actually how much rust.Make sure the synch works,and cruise control.Drive it on highway for alignment etc.Make sure the supercharger is "set", it needs at least 6 miles at speed to set--you'll hear it when you hit fullthrottle.Listen for rattles etc.Thats basically what i do. Theres a whole series of things you can look for on the paint,fisheyes,orangepeel. Most of all drive the hell put of it

Im sure you'll get many comments---mine would be,look for chips,dings esp around the doors.

Make sure everything elec work, windows a/c etc. Bring a CD to try out the cd player.Look under the rear end for rust,actually how much rust.Make sure the synch works,and cruise control.Drive it on highway for alignment etc.Make sure the supercharger is "set", it needs at least 6 miles at speed to set--you'll hear it when you hit fullthrottle.Listen for rattles etc.Thats basically what i do. Theres a whole series of things you can look for on the paint,fisheyes,orangepeel. Most of all drive the hell put of it

Those are good points. Be sure to look under the front spoiler for scrapes and check out the inside of the wheels for rail car damage, specially the front.

Feel under the drivers door for damage. Another TS member noted this earlier.

I think you do a good walk around and note any items found in the presence of the dealer. Once you get home and detail it you may find other items during detailing these need to be conveyed to the dealer also. Then it is going to take drive time to find rattels, shimmys, electronic problems and other mechanical problems if any. Hopefully there will be very few because I want to drive mine instead of it being at the dealership having repairs/warranty work done.

Check your front speaker bezels, my passenger side had a little doo doo and minor scrape, dealer will be replacing for me, he said they see this from time to time from the transport people getting in and out of the car, they don't care if it's a ford focus or GT500, all the same to them.

Hey Guys is there any type of problem that you might find on a walk around that would mandate to not accept the car and leave it with the dealer until repairs were made?Just Curious if this has ever happened before?

After you do a good break in, please don't abuse the car at all but especially time you get it. I don't know about you guys but I am going back to work at 63 not just because I want too and hope to take care of this vehicle as I do all of mine. I didn't buy it to race or abuse, get on it once in a while sure but........... Oh well enough of my ravings you bought it do what you will.

Cobra010

After you do a good break in, please don't abuse the car at all but especially time you get it. I don't know about you guys but I am going back to work at 63 not just because I want too and hope to take care of this vehicle as I do all of mine. I didn't buy it to race or abuse, get on it once in a while sure but........... Oh well enough of my ravings you bought it do what you will.

Cobra010

I agree I'M no race car driver anyway but these cars are made for speed so once in a while to play a little is definitley ok. I do want to go to some of the events and get some beginner track time I think I would really enjoy that.

I agree I'M no race car driver anyway but these cars are made for speed so once in a while to play a little is definitley ok. I do want to go to some of the events and get some beginner track time I think I would really enjoy that.

Oh, yeah! I am with you have fun I just say don't abuse them. You know if I wanted HOT ROD from the moment I took possession I would look for a 2007 or 2008 one which it's tongue is not hanging out too far (from being run too hard) and buy it cheap and smoke it.

Not referring you you by the way just generally speaking and as always my opinion.

Cobra010

Oh, yeah! I am with you have fun I just say don't abuse them. You know if I wanted HOT ROD from the moment I took possession I would look for a 2007 or 2008 one which it's tongue is not hanging out too far (from being run too hard) and buy it cheap and smoke it.

Not referring you you by the way just generally speaking and as always my opinion.

Cobra010

That's wright we buy these for fun, me and you and most all owners are going to take care of our cars. I had 26,000 on my 05 GT when I sold it a couple weeks ago but it looked like a brand new vehicle. I would have had much lower mileage on it but I lost my Truck in Katrina so I had to drive it more than I wanted to for a while until my truck came in. I like to have something to do when the wife aggravates me so I clean up my ride.

There have many discussions of this (search for break-in procedure) on this site. If I remember correctly, the consensus was to "drive it like you stole it". This was a surprise to me but some very technically adept people gave some really good reasons for doing it that way.

I changed my oil at 500 miles then 1000 then 2500. I didn't redline it but I definately gave it some WOT up to about 5000 RPM. I made sure to not drive at a constant spped on the highway for a while.

There have many discussions of this (search for break-in procedure) on this site. If I remember correctly, the consensus was to "drive it like you stole it". This was a surprise to me but some very technically adept people gave some really good reasons for doing it that way.

I changed my oil at 500 miles then 1000 then 2500. I didn't redline it but I definately gave it some WOT up to about 5000 RPM. I made sure to not drive at a constant spped on the highway for a while.

I know on my 05 GT, I did not give it any break in time, I ran the crap out of as soon as I got it. It never give me a minutes problem it was a great dependable car. I think it's like a Horse if you break him right you want have any problems later. Some you have to break the hardway and some the easy way so what ever suits your fancy go for it?

I have had the fish eye on a few spots on my car since new.

What causes this and any way to correct it?

Thanks

actually what is a fish eye, I am just guessing that is what I have

Hello Everyone,

Thanks'

Number one rule, ask and insist that the dealer will never detail/prep your car. tell them to keep the hands of the boys inside away from it, no detailng specifically of the engine you will get like i had a corrosion in the aluminum from the harsh engine cleaner they use in prepping the car, do it at your convenience at home but never let them touch it, i learned my lesson the hard way.

Those are good points. Be sure to look under the front spoiler for scrapes and check out the inside of the wheels for rail car damage, specially the front.

Feel under the drivers door for damage. Another TS member noted this earlier.

my front rims had black streaks of paint on them--but just used a green 3M scouring pad and they came right off.Of course i was usng a lift and could put alot of force into my scouring action

I know on my 05 GT, I did not give it any break in time, I ran the crap out of as soon as I got it. It never give me a minutes problem it was a great dependable car. I think it's like a Horse if you break him right you want have any problems later. Some you have to break the hardway and some the easy way so what ever suits your fancy go for it?

Could be right :headscratch: But remember the black box and if something GOD forbid goes south I would hate to try to explain running the crap out of it right out of the box. But I do know this much you all are paying for your rides and you can do with them as you please, I know I am. I Love to know it will GO but primarily I bought it to SHOW :happy feet:

Have Fun Guys,

Cobra010

Archived