TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New to this Forum

Hello,

I am new to this forum, I am a Dodge fan and Shelby fan. I am in the process of restoring a Shelby Dakota #404. I live in Las Vegas, NV and as I am sure you all know the home of a Shelby plant at the Las Vegas Speedway. Looking forward to chatting about Shelby Dodge's.

Bob in Vegas

Hello,

I am new to this forum, I am a Dodge fan and Shelby fan. I am in the process of restoring a Shelby Dakota #404. I live in Las Vegas, NV and as I am sure you all know the home of a Shelby plant at the Las Vegas Speedway. Looking forward to chatting about Shelby Dodge's.

Bob in Vegas

Nice to meet you Bob. Always good to have another Shelby fan.

Jeff

Hello,

Bob in Vegas

Bob, Welcome to the Team Shelby forums. Glad you found us.

I'm pretty sure I corresponded with you before as your truck #404 sounds familiar to me.

I have three S/Daks with one that I purchased new. If you haven't been to the Shelby Museum in Vegas make sure you stop by. I worked on the Dodge section of the museum and made sure that a Shelby Dakota was one of the first Shelby Dodge's to go in there. Also if you look on the back wall behind the Dodge cars you will see a custom banner that we had made for the museum. There is a neat photo of a S/Dak "getting some air" during a publicity photo shoot back in the day.

Steve

I'm pretty sure I corresponded with you before as your truck #404 sounds familiar to me.

I have three S/Daks with one that I purchased new. If you haven't been to the Shelby Museum in Vegas make sure you stop by. I worked on the Dodge section of the museum and made sure that a Shelby Dakota was one of the first Shelby Dodge's to go in there. Also if you look on the back wall behind the Dodge cars you will see a custom banner that we had made for the museum. There is a neat photo of a S/Dak "getting some air" during a publicity photo shoot back in the day.

Steve

Welcome Bob.... I own two ....#54 white and #332 Red.... BTW, the Gardena plant has two prototype Dakotas too.... One twin turbo and one 360 truck... I have pics somewhere...

Tim

Steve

Steve, yes I think we have corresponded before, you have the #405 truck? I have been to the Shelby museum a few times, Is the white Shelby Dakota in there yours? I will have to look at the banner next time I go in there.

Bob

Steve, yes I think we have corresponded before, you have the #405 truck? I have been to the Shelby museum a few times, Is the white Shelby Dakota in there yours? I will have to look at the banner next time I go in there.

Bob

Not mine but I wouldn't mind owning it :) The white Shelby Dakota currently in the museum is Carroll's #001 Dakota.

ShelbyConcepts missed one other Dakota that Carroll has in Los Angeles and that is the 1987 LoneStar Prototype Shelby Dakota. The other two that Tim mentioned is the 1990 Shelby Dakota Prototype with the 360 V8 engine and the Intercooled Twin Turbo Dakota.

Steve

Not mine but I wouldn't mind owning it :) The white Shelby Dakota currently in the museum is Carroll's #001 Dakota.

ShelbyConcepts missed one other Dakota that Carroll has in Los Angeles and that is the 1987 LoneStar Prototype Shelby Dakota. The other two that Tim mentioned is the 1990 Shelby Dakota Prototype with the 360 V8 engine and the Intercooled Twin Turbo Dakota.

Steve

Wow, I did not realize it was #001! I wanted to look at it close up but ran out of time. Hopefully next time I get there they will let me go past the ropes to look inside. The museum is only about a 5 minute drive from my house. Do you think these Shelby Dakota's will be valuable in the future?

Bob

Wow, I did not realize it was #001! I wanted to look at it close up but ran out of time. Hopefully next time I get there they will let me go past the ropes to look inside. The museum is only about a 5 minute drive from my house. Do you think these Shelby Dakota's will be valuable in the future?

Bob

Bob and others. Please respect the ropes and only go past them if you have permission from someone at SAI and that person is standing there with you. While we are only talking about the Dodge cars keep in mind that there are other cars in the museum worth millions of dollars. It's one of those things that if one person goes beyond the ropes the next thing you know there are several people climbing over them so there is a chance that SAI will say they are sorry but no can do.

At one point I felt there was a good chance the S/Dak would be worth more than other Shelby Dodge's especially since it was the only V8 RWD vehicle to go thru Shelby's facility since 1967-68 but that changed with the Series One and the 2006-up Shelby Mustangs. I plan on always keeping at least one or two Shelby Dakota's. What better way to tow a Shelby than with a Shelby truck.

Steve

Bob and others. Please respect the ropes and only go past them if you have permission from someone at SAI and that person is standing there with you. While we are only talking about the Dodge cars keep in mind that there are other cars in the museum worth millions of dollars. It's one of those things that if one person goes beyond the ropes the next thing you know there are several people climbing over them so there is a chance that SAI will say they are sorry but no can do.

At one point I felt there was a good chance the S/Dak would be worth more than other Shelby Dodge's especially since it was the only V8 RWD vehicle to go thru Shelby's facility since 1967-68 but that changed with the Series One and the 2006-up Shelby Mustangs. I plan on always keeping at least one or two Shelby Dakota's. What better way to tow a Shelby than with a Shelby truck.

Steve

If they let me past the ropes. Of course I would not just walk past without permission.

If they let me past the ropes. Of course I would not just walk past without permission.

Thanks Bob, I was pretty confident that you wouldn't. I don't need any phone calls from AmyB that they had to remove a Dodge guy from behind the ropes who was drooling over the cars.

I pretty much have AmyB convinced that the Shelby Dodge enthusiasts are normal folks but I think she's starting to wonder about how normal I am.

Steve

Hello,

I was wondering about my Shelby Dakota. My truck I was planning on restoring is in lower than fair shape, meaning no rust but it does have issues like a missing fan assembly, missing Shelby wheels, broken light bar, broken front lower piece where the fog light would be if they were there, a cracked block or freeze plugs as it flows coolant out from the block, no AC parts, power steering gone and the decals are shot. The truck is red but I would really rather have a white one as to me it looks better.

So, my question: Would I be better off just pulling all the unique Shelby parts and dumping the truck? As it stands it will take a lot of cash to get this one back into mint condition. I am hearing that these trucks while a Shelby, really are not that valuable, so I am thinking buying a good running one and save the Shelby pieces from this one I have now. Any recommendations?

Thanks, Bob in Vegas

Hello,

I was wondering about my Shelby Dakota. My truck I was planning on restoring is in lower than fair shape, meaning no rust but it does have issues like a missing fan assembly, missing Shelby wheels, broken light bar, broken front lower piece where the fog light would be if they were there, a cracked block or freeze plugs as it flows coolant out from the block, no AC parts, power steering gone and the decals are shot. The truck is red but I would really rather have a white one as to me it looks better.

So, my question: Would I be better off just pulling all the unique Shelby parts and dumping the truck? As it stands it will take a lot of cash to get this one back into mint condition. I am hearing that these trucks while a Shelby, really are not that valuable, so I am thinking buying a good running one and save the Shelby pieces from this one I have now. Any recommendations?

Thanks, Bob in Vegas

But what would you do with the Shelby pieces? Build a clone? Better to get a block and keep it together, albeit with non-original block.

Hello,

Bob in Vegas

Welcome!

Bob if you could post some pics it would help determine if your truck is worth restoring. Most mechanical parts are stock Chrysler so the p/s, a/c, block can be found quite easily.

The Shelby wheels, electric fans, front air dam and cab spoiler are unique and can add up quite quickly if you had to purchase those parts.

The white trucks go for a few dollars more as there were only 500 of those compared to a 1000 red trucks.

Post some pics if you can and we can go from there.

Steve

Bob the good news is the truck is mostly complete, the bad news is that the sun has really taken its toll. If the mileage is high, it looks like over 175,000 from the pics, you might be better off with another truck as a starting point.

Like any restoration project the better condition the vehicle is in the lower the total restoration cost will be. You also have to consider what the truck is worth even after restoration. For example I know of a real nice Shelby Dakota with 24,xxx miles on it and the owner can't find a buyer at $12,000

With that in mind you would probably have over $12k into your restoration when your done and unfortunately it will still be a truck with over 175,000 miles compared to the other truck that I just mentioned that would be classified as a low mile survivor.

Now if your truck has some sentimental history like it was owned by a family member before you or that you purchased it new back in 1989 then I would say the restoration price wouldn't matter.

I'm not sure if this helps you any but hopefully it gives you something to think over so you can make the best decision for yourself.

Steve

Bob the good news is the truck is mostly complete, the bad news is that the sun has really taken its toll. If the mileage is high, it looks like over 175,000 from the pics, you might be better off with another truck as a starting point.

Like any restoration project the better condition the vehicle is in the lower the total restoration cost will be. You also have to consider what the truck is worth even after restoration. For example I know of a real nice Shelby Dakota with 24,xxx miles on it and the owner can't find a buyer at $12,000

With that in mind you would probably have over $12k into your restoration when your done and unfortunately it will still be a truck with over 175,000 miles compared to the other truck that I just mentioned that would be classified as a low mile survivor.

Now if your truck has some sentimental history like it was owned by a family member before you or that you purchased it new back in 1989 then I would say the restoration price wouldn't matter.

I'm not sure if this helps you any but hopefully it gives you something to think over so you can make the best decision for yourself.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Yes the truck came from California originally and I got it from a guy in Arizona, so no sentimental value other than it is a Shelby! I would love to find a white one and part this one out. It is 175 K miles. A funny story though, I was stationed in Germany in 1987 - 90 and I purchased a brand new 1989 Mustang through the Air Force program over there, I do remember talking to the Dodge guy and he tried to sell me a new Shelby Dakota, I can't remember if I had to order it specially or not but he mentioned it a few times. What a mistake I made, could have had a new Shelby Dakota in 1989 but I was young and loved Ford back then. Oh if I could go back in time! I will have to think some more about this Dakota.

Thanks again,

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I washed her up and swapped wheels that I had for the uglier ones that were on it until I find the Shelby wheels for it. I took out the bed liner and cleaned up the bed and at least there is no rust. Started it up to move it but not for long since it has no fan assembly (Another part I need). I have decided to go ahead and restore it. Good ole #404 will be running around soon hopefully.

Picture%20612.jpg

Picture%20614.jpg

With No Rust that looks like a good candidate for some restoration. There are plenty of parts that turn up for these, you just have to be patient.

Thankfully, all mine needed when I got it was new graphics & a stock type radio.

Still have not replaced the graphics. Just a little rough around the edges & it will only be original once.

Good luck on your restore.

Jim B

With No Rust that looks like a good candidate for some restoration. There are plenty of parts that turn up for these, you just have to be patient.

Thankfully, all mine needed when I got it was new graphics & a stock type radio.

Still have not replaced the graphics. Just a little rough around the edges & it will only be original once.

Good luck on your restore.

Jim B

Thanks. It should be fun. I think I will have to pull the engine because it is leaking alot of coolant from somewhere on the drivers side of the block. It is not the hoses so I am guessing it is a freeze plug or a cracked block (I hope not).

Bob that's good news that she will live on.

It looks like I'll be parting out one of these trucks this month so we may be able to deal on some parts you need.

I may try to sell the truck complete on Craiglist first. Just don't know if I want that headache. I purchased the truck about three years ago and never drove it. Well I did drive it two miles from the transporter truck to my storage rental place.

Steve

Bob that's good news that she will live on.

It looks like I'll be parting out one of these trucks this month so we may be able to deal on some parts you need.

I may try to sell the truck complete on Craiglist first. Just don't know if I want that headache. I purchased the truck about three years ago and never drove it. Well I did drive it two miles from the transporter truck to my storage rental place.

Steve

Steve,

Let me know. There is another person I am waiting for as he might be parting out his also.

Bob

Steve,

Let me know. There is another person I am waiting for as he might be parting out his also.

Bob

Bob

Will do. I looked at the truck the other day and boy did I get suckered on this one. Typical @!#* when you purchase a older used vehicle sight unseen from out of state. Sellers just always seem to forget to mention that..........

Looks like we're going to strip the truck Labor Day weekend.

Steve

Bob

Will do. I looked at the truck the other day and boy did I get suckered on this one. Typical @!#* when you purchase a older used vehicle sight unseen from out of state. Sellers just always seem to forget to mention that..........

Looks like we're going to strip the truck Labor Day weekend.

Steve

Steve,

Sounds good. What I am needing is the dual electric fan assemby & 4 rims. The truck is in pretty bad shape? Also I saw a company on e-bay that sells the stripe kit, is that the only place that makes these?

Bob

Archived