TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stains on Shelby Tower Brace

I have the aluminum Shelby Tower Brace, which is absolutely beautifu! However, I noticed that there were some "white" looking stains developing on the top front edge where it contacts the hood liner. You can get most of the stains off by using Mequiars Ultimate Compond. But they come back. So I put a couple of pieces of Mylar shipping tape on the hood liner where the contact occurs. This solves the staining problem and the tape appears to handle the heat well.

However, I'm looking for something that is a little more asthetic than the tape. Has anyone experienced this problem

Also, I have the OEM hood. It appears that the CS6 hood has a little more clearance so that this problem doesn't happen in that case.

I've considered cutting out a couple of elongated holes in the liner where the contact occurs and I've been looking for a black sheet of Mylar or silicone rubber or something that will take the heat. I know they have aliminum/fiberglass tape and sheets but these are too abnoxious. I'd like something in black or clear.

Anyone have any ideas?

Seems to me like your aluminum brace is corroding. White on aluminum is usually just that. I believe aluminum products are anodized to prevent this from happening but if your lining is rubbing it then the anodizing might have rubbed off. I have the chrome trim on my rear taillights and those are starting to show signs of corrosion too...

I have the same brace and have not noticed what you are seeing. Can you think of any other variables that might account for the problem other than the rubbing?

Jim

I have the same brace and have not noticed what you are seeing. Can you think of any other variables that might account for the problem other than the rubbing?

Jim

Do you have the contact? Mine has a depression in the hood liner on two spots (one on each side of the centerline of the car) where the front edge of the brace contacts the hood. They are about 4 inches long and centered about 9" on either side of the centerline. I can push on them and I don't feel anything underneath like the hood scoop rivets, etc. However, with the Mylar tape, there is no problem with the brace. I'm wondering if moisture has gotten in through all the holes in the hood from all the different hood scoops :cry: and the combination of rubbing and moisture is causing this. But like I said, the Mylar interface seems to correct this but it doesn't look so clean.

the white staining is most likely as a result of the contact with the hood blanket its like a sanding action What u need to do is eliminate the contact...

What do you suggest? Removing the hood liner? I noticed you have a Whipple, have you removed your liner? How does it look with all those rivets showing? Maybe the thing to do is cut a hole in the liner (neatly) to clear these points??

Archived