TEAM SHELBY FORUM

best way to preserve car documents??

skipm

I'm curious what's the best way to keep all the documents(Invoice, dora etc) and the window sticker? I want to keep all these items for later and don't want to damage them. Any suggestions on how to keep them especially the window sticker. :headscratch:

I went to Kinkos and had Color copys made of the documents I wanted to display (CS signed windows sticker, SVT cert), then had the copys laminated. The window sticker had to be shrunk a bit, these docs stay in the car. The originials are kept in a plastic document folder....at home for safe keeping

Laminate..........I was a mgr for a lamination place for years........highly recommend. Avail in diff thicknesses such as 1.5 mm, 3 mm, 5mm etc.... Try to find the source that actually does it as most retailers send stuff out to places like where I worked and then we resend back.............(lots of markup $$$)

I went to Kinkos and had Color copys made of the documents I wanted to display (CS signed windows sticker, SVT cert), then had the copys laminated. The window sticker had to be shrunk a bit, these docs stay in the car. The originials are kept in a plastic document folder....at home for safe keeping

This is my choice--if these cars really become collectible (like no more Shelbys afetr 2010) then collectors want the original document--so making a color copy then laminating and put the other stuff away makes sense

I'm curious what's the best way to keep all the documents(Invoice, dora etc) and the window sticker? I want to keep all these items for later and don't want to damage them. Any suggestions on how to keep them especially the window sticker. :headscratch:

Went to Kinko's and had a color copy made of the window sticker. I keep all my documentation always have but this in my opinion will never be a truly collectable car because it is a SVT not a true Shelby unless it goes through the Shelby plant and gets a Serial#. However as some have said if all muscle cars go away down the road it will be desirable as a collectable. IMHO

Cobra010

Laminate..........I was a mgr for a lamination place for years........highly recommend. Avail in diff thicknesses such as 1.5 mm, 3 mm, 5mm etc.... Try to find the source that actually does it as most retailers send stuff out to places like where I worked and then we resend back.............(lots of markup $$$)

I would also recommend 1/2" - 3/4" margin gutter on the laminate; just in case you want to frame it in a nice piano black luster frame.

Best single thing you NEED to do is keep them out of sunlight. In fact any light for that matter. Remember UV light is the single worst enemy of almost any object with color and no UV protectant. Also light will break down the fibers and chemicals in the ink and paper, this is why you see the yellow or brown color to aged paper. The actual break down of the chemicals that are in the paper.

I have found documents (10-15+ yrs old) that had no extra care except from being keep dry and in the dark and they look as good as the day they were printed.

I picked up a three ring binder and some clear plastic sleeves that I put all my documents in. I'm putting it in storage with the original stickers, and interior plastics. I was originally going to keep everything in the trunk, but I also kept a few magazines and copies of misc material from Fords website...by the time I got everything in the binder it's just to big to be bangin' around in the trunk.

Best single thing you NEED to do is keep them out of sunlight. In fact any light for that matter. Remember UV light is the single worst enemy of almost any object with color and no UV protectant. Also light will break down the fibers and chemicals in the ink and paper, this is why you see the yellow or brown color to aged paper. The actual break down of the chemicals that are in the paper.

I have found documents (10-15+ yrs old) that had no extra care except from being keep dry and in the dark and they look as good as the day they were printed.

I concur with this. I have some car documents that are 18 years old and I've just kept them in a folder in a dark closet and they still look brand new. Of course if you display them...I would do what others have suggested in copying them and then laminate the copies and keep the originals stored.

I concur with this. I have some car documents that are 18 years old and I've just kept them in a folder in a dark closet and they still look brand new. Of course if you display them...I would do what others have suggested in copying them and then laminate the copies and keep the originals stored.

No need to hide the nice documents that you want to show....most ink used in pro printing is 100 y proof.

Archived