TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anybody home?

Yes, the lack of activity has been eerie...

Well, since I'm here I'll go with a quick little update. I recently picked up a set of 15" LeBaron GTC lace wheels and tires from my local Pick and Pull. I put them on the '87 GLHS for a change/see how they look. I don't know how long I'll leave them on for, I can't decide if I like how they look.

About the same time I noticed the power steering cutting out at low speed. I checked the fluid, and it was bone dry!!! I filled it up, but still no p/s at low speed. I figure the pump is pooched now, and I still don't even know where the leak is! Oh well, I'll deal with that when I'm not so busy.

Since I'm here anyways... is it the same power steering pump for the 87 GLHS as a regular TI from the same year?

Since I'm here anyways... is it the same power steering pump for the 87 GLHS as a regular TI from the same year?

If you mean the same as a T-I Dodge Shelby Charger p/s pump the answer is yes. If you mean are all p/s pumps from 1987 T-I cars the same that I don't know. I supect there may be a difference between say a L body p/s pump compared to say a E body. Your local parts department can say for sure.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

As S/C's are getting pretty rare up here, I'll have to pull some part numbers and look into that. Winters are long in Canada, I'd rather be driving right now than pulling a P/S pump!

Thanks Steve,

As S/C's are getting pretty rare up here, I'll have to pull some part numbers and look into that. Winters are long in Canada, I'd rather be driving right now than pulling a P/S pump!

I took a quick look at one of the online parts warehouses and their computer shows the same p/s pump part number for most every domestic fwd Chrysler car.

I then looked at a Chrysler dealership online parts catalog and they show two different p/s pumps for the 1987 Charger. One pump is for a NON-Shelby and the other is for the Shelby version. I crossed referenced tis Shelby pump and it comes back to other FWD Chrysler cars with a "Sport", "Firm Feel", "Heavy Duty" steering option.

So it looks like there are two pumps out there. Both will fit but apparently you will want one listed for a Shelby or a firm feel option. If you're going to grab one from a j/yard I would look for one from say a Turbo Daytona, Turbo ES Shadow or a Turbo LeBaron GTC.

If you decide to go with a rebuilt parts store pump I would just go with the one listed for a 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger Turbo.

Steve

Well, since I'm here I'll go with a quick little update. I recently picked up a set of 15" LeBaron GTC lace wheels and tires from my local Pick and Pull. I put them on the '87 GLHS for a change/see how they look. I don't know how long I'll leave them on for, I can't decide if I like how they look.

Post up some pics!

• 2 weeks later...
I took a quick look at one of the online parts warehouses and their computer shows the same p/s pump part number for most every domestic fwd Chrysler car.

I then looked at a Chrysler dealership online parts catalog and they show two different p/s pumps for the 1987 Charger. One pump is for a NON-Shelby and the other is for the Shelby version. I crossed referenced tis Shelby pump and it comes back to other FWD Chrysler cars with a "Sport", "Firm Feel", "Heavy Duty" steering option.

So it looks like there are two pumps out there. Both will fit but apparently you will want one listed for a Shelby or a firm feel option. If you're going to grab one from a j/yard I would look for one from say a Turbo Daytona, Turbo ES Shadow or a Turbo LeBaron GTC.

If you decide to go with a rebuilt parts store pump I would just go with the one listed for a 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger Turbo.

Steve

Sounds good!

Thanks for looking into that! I should be able to find a Daytona or GTC at the local Pick N' Pull!

Stephen

Archived