TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Future value of the GT500

old guy

I've seen lots of postings talking about future value of the GT500 and concern over how the final production number will affect it. It never ceases to amaze me how many people buy a car like this and cover it up in the garage as if it's main function was to be a piece of fine art. (Case in point, when was the last time you saw a Ford GT or even an old Shelby, 'Cuda or 1st generation Mustang tooling down the road or parked at the local K-Mart? I know there are lots out there.) I guess I can understand that some folks might be concerned about future value, but how much should it factor into the decision to make the purchase of this or any other car? In my opinion, I think it will be several years before the value MAY go up based on past examples. Muscle cars are making a comeback and in a couple of years I think the GT500 will be just one of several potent cars available. There will be lots of folks who buy a car, be it a Mustang, Charger, Corvette or whatever, and will offer to sell it within 6-12 months. Others will buy it and put a few (relatively) miles a year on it, but never really enjoy the car to its fullest. I can't tell you how happy I am that many of you intend to modify it as soon as you get it. To me, that's what the love of the hobby is all about, not worrying about what you might be able to sell it for down the road. A car is a piece of machinery, and a car such as the GT500 is made to be driven.

Until the car becomes reasonably unobtainable, I don't see anyone making much of a profit once the initial hype is over. I would buy one whether they make 10,000 or 150,000. I am fortunate that I am in the position to get one at a good price, but having owned and loved several Mustangs and Shelbys (none of which have ever disappointed,) and being a huge fan of Carroll, I would probably have bought one anyway.

My feeling is unless someone really wants the car for the car, they shouldn't buy it. As most of us know (but often forget) once the newness wears off, it'll just be another car. As soon as Dodge releases the new generation Charger there will be a sufficient number of GT500's available for anyone who would like one. Forget about worrying about future value. If you buy it, the only way you will get any pleasure out of it is when you are behind the wheel. And when you have had enough fun with it, that's the time to let it go for whatever it's worth and move on to something else with no regrets. As for mine, it will be an everyday driver just like my past Shelbys!

Old Guy

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great post old guy. :beerchug:

I think the biggest thing people today forget is that the old muscle cars of the 60's and early 70's were sold relatively cheap until recently. Most people didn't buy a 67 GT350 off the lot and put it in the garage for 35 years - hoping the value would go up. They drove it, and like you said, ENJOYED IT!!

It's taken the digital day of Barrett Jackson on cable, and ebay on the web to really push these rare cars into the "unbelieveable" catagory we're seeing now. However, although I wasn't part of it, I've read a lot about what happened 10-15 years ago with the Vette crowd. Same type of speculation (and that's what it is really - no different than the stock market of the late 90's) that prices would alway rise - just before they came crashing down!! Can this happen again - you bet. If there's a stock market drop :eek5: , or some other major event (I don't even want to think about this!), you'll see a bunch of guys who need some quick cash selling their cars for much less than they bought them for recently!

If, and that's a big IF, the modern GT500 does rise in value, it won't be for a long time. Modern cars are built to last a long time (not like the ungalvanized metal of the 60's Mustang that was meant to be tossed or traded in in a few years). Plus, there's no end to "bigger and better" coming down the pipe. 475 HP in a $40,000 car?? Who would have thought that in 1990?

If I'm fortunate to get one, I'll enjoy it. Race it? No. Trash it? No. Drive it in the winter? He!! no. But it will be driven, and driven hard.

Well said, and appreciated.

I see this car the same way as you. It will be my daily driver. I don't expect I will have it out in the winter, and I will treat and care for the car with the respect that it commands and deserves, but drive this car I will.

Fast and hard, and did I mention fast?????

KingCobra.

Exactly! These cars were meant to be driven. Mine will primarily be used for traveling, and I really don't travel that much, but that's what I'm buying it for. My '67 will probably get more miles on it in the next few years than my '07!

Exactly! These cars were meant to be driven. Mine will primarily be used for traveling, and I really don't travel that much, but that's what I'm buying it for. My '67 will probably get more miles on it in the next few years than my '07!

I would have expected you to say the opposite actually.

KingCobra.

Seems like we are of the same mind on this one. If I get lucky in the buyers lottery (still cant believe whether I get one or not is up to a ping pong ball) then I plan on making it a weekend driver/nice sunny days during winter (No snow or sanded roads). Well definitely take it on longer trips as far as Highway driving, CO SPGS to Vegas sounds about right to me!

I treat my car(s) real good best of everything that I can afford but I have to admit I drive them hard......Real hard. Will this one be any different? Not a chance. Only driven on nice sunny days but when it's out it will get to stretch it's legs for sure.

You bet ya Kaylan...

Here's to a good stretch.

:happy feet:

KingCobra.

I have never been afraid to drive my cars in the rain or snow. Obviously I will take the best care that I can of the car, but I can guarantee that it will be driven on any day that handling or traction will not be an issue. It will go back and forth to work as well as to the grocery store or the movie theater. My girlfriend bought a new T-bird a few months back and was shy about driving it back and forth to work, but once the newness wore off she slapped on a set of Blizzaks and now drives it about 60 miles or so round trip to work and back every day. She parks it at the employee lot at DIA and she's stopped worrying about whether it will get dinged or not (so far it hasn't.) The enjoyment she gets is from driving it with the top down and cruising down the highway, not how it looks (although she likes that too.)

I also have to chuckle at people who don't want you leaning on or touching their "gem." If the car can't stand up to a few handprints or doors opening and closing it can't be much of a car. The only one I worried about was my A/C cobra way back when (before I had hair on my face and they cost half a lifetime's wages), and that was only because you could dent them so easily by just leaning against them.

So, count on at least one honest to goodness "daily driver." I will drive it until it isn't fun any more, then, as I said before, sell for what it's worth and move on to something else with no regrets. The thrill of getting to really know a car is worth it. I can still close my eyes and "feel" the shifters, door handles, steering wheels, dash contours, and just about everything else about every car I've ever owned, even my first 65 mustang. I wish you all the same memories down the road.

Old Guy

lol, I hear you old guy! I'll let you all know how it handles in the winter. ;) Hell I right my Excelsior Henderson SuperX year round, now there is a really rare machine. I treat my toys well but I'm not afraid of getting them a bit dirty now an then.

• 8 years later...

Its been 8 years since the original post.

Whats the your perspective on the future value of the 07-09 Shelbys?

They will continue to go down............until they turn around........

No magic, they are a late model Mustang as was a 1968 GT500KR in 1969, 70, 71 etc.

I might also mention the BOSS429..........it depreciated like any other late model car in its day, then at some point the values (collector interest) turned the value around.

R

Its way too early to make any cynical judgements. The '07's are only 8 years old and are holding their values well above average so far. GT500's account for only about 6% of total Mustang production. There are over 110 million more people in the U.S. now than in 1970 so you cannot compare the production numbers from markets then and now. And Carroll himself called the older cars junk compared to the new ones. Is there a thread like this for other Shelby models?

Late model Gt500s are just as cool as can be but were produced in numbers that will preclude them from ever being in any position for dramatic appreciation. Ford put out almost 50,000, Shelby, something or other. I had a GT500('08) and am in the market for another to play with for a while and have no illusions as some here do about these cars ever being investments. They were never investments, and never will be. The new generation Mustang will have its various iterations of Shelby 350/500 models. The new Shelbys will render the current GT500s grossly obsolete in very short order whether current owners believe so or not. Current GT500s will assume the status of old carts as the new units embarrass the prior generation. The next generation Shelby models will devastate the values of all current Shelby badged Mustangs. GT500 values decline with each passing day and will never be worth more than they are at this instant.

Damn, you are pretty harsh!

I would have to respectfully disagree. The next gen Shelby's WILL be technically more advanced than the current production. However, that does not necessarily mean that the values of the current models will decrease. Low mileage cars will always hold their value IMHO. Additionally, the 2007 GT500's COULD see an increase on low mileage, well taken care of pristine models as they were the first remakes of the GT500. I also believe the 2007 Super Snakes will increase even more, especially for low milage, highly optioned versions.

Am I right or wrong? who knows, only time will tell.

I agree that with over 45,000 GT500 factory cars made from 2007 to 2014, it will be a long time before they reach "collector car" value, i.e., selling ten years after original production for more than the actual, not MSRP, purchase price. Keep in mind that a lot of early cars went with major dealer mark ups. The best car to have is one that you enjoy driving, not a possible future investment. performance cars have for years been all over the value numbers. Limited production, like the KR and any one with Shelby American factory DNA like the Super Snake, 40th Anniversary, etc. will command more value due to rarity. So enjoy the ride on the road, not on the ledger. Look at the "values' of the 1995 Mustang Cobra Pace car, the Bullit, Mach I and other late model Mustangs. Even with low mileage, the collector values are still weak. But that may change twenty years many years from now. There is no crystal ball to guarantee a successful return on the GT500.

Not talking investment, rather a comparison.

Relative to the MSRP, the 07-09 cars have had very little depreciation relative to other new cars, with most being advertised and sold in the low to mid 30's.

The smiles per miles driven (assuming you're driving it, my 08KR has 31k on the odo), you can't beat the cost vs. fun ratio.

As an example, take a look at any MB AMG after 5-7 years....

Mid 30's for an '07, put down the crack pipe. That is a sucker price or an asking price trolling for one. Nobody with an ounce of business sense would agree to a price that begins with a "3" for a 2007! Forget about that one. Most of those cars were purchased new in the 50's and some unfortunately were sold with with premiums to the business challenged. It is not at all uncommon to see enthusiasts who have grossly distorted ideas of what their cars are "worth". Percieved value vs actual cash value can be wildly different numbers much to the chagrin of some current owners/sellers.

So it's becoming apparent that you're hungry for attention. So I'll give you some.

First off, I recently sold my 07 for 37K, it was only listed for two weeks. Second, these cars sold new in the 60s and 70s, not the 50s. If someone was able to pick one up for that then they knew someone. Third, you're still a dumb-ass and a moron. I have a hunch you might be related to Speedyman.

AK.

i have to agree with AK above. i'm pretty surprised by how well they have kept their value. i took $6k in equity during a refinance and am still about $10-15k ahead of the market value. there may be a lot of them built, by mass production standards, but they are still relatively rare in the overall marketplace... especially if you are looking for a specific color/stripe combination. i'm actually surprised that there are folks out there who will pay double for one of these cars that has been modded by SAI, but i suspect the pool of buyers for those is even smaller than those who would purchase one OEM. at the end of the day, the value is what someone is willing to pay. anything else is just speculation.

Go to Ebay in the "completed listings" section and you will get whatever education you currently lack. Lighten up Alcan, its not a life or death matter. Is there someone dumb enough to pay 30 something for an'07 when they can be had every day of the wek in the 20's? Sure, there are more than a few fools out there.

I have been following prices and sales because I am in the market for one . "07's for 20's any day of the week "is simply not true for nice cars unless you consider daily driver type miles or cars that have been through multiple owners and modded.

You can look at completed listings on EBay all you want but many transactions are closed outside of EBay so the numbers you see there are far from accurate.

Nice cars with miles under 5 k are SELLING for $30-35000 right now. Many are asking $35-40 but I don't see them selling that high.

I have made 3 low 30's offer in the last 2 weeks only to lose all three to higher selling prices. Those are the facts and not speculation.

I have been following prices and sales because I am in the market for one . "07's for 20's any day of the week "is simply not true for nice cars unless you consider daily driver type miles or cars that have been through multiple owners and modded.

You can look at completed listings on EBay all you want but many transactions are closed outside of EBay so the numbers you see there are far from accurate.

Nice cars with miles under 5 k are SELLING for $30-35000 right now. Many are asking $35-40 but I don't see them selling that high.

I have made 3 low 30's offer in the last 2 weeks only to lose all three to higher selling prices. Those are the facts and not speculation.

yep, i agree. i keep my eye on these in various sites online and they don't drop below $30k unless they are higher mileage or have been un-tastefully modded.

Agree with what? Drop below 30? You are talking about ASKING PRICES! This is by no means a difficult concept. Take your '07 GT500 to a dealer for a trade or a straight dump out and you will be absolutely shocked at what he will offer you. Could you sell the car on your own to a private party for more than what a dealer would offer? Probably but don't bet your life on it.

Lighten up, dude. EVERYONE knows there is a different price for trade-in, etcetera. Dealers will never give you a great deal on a trade. It's a math game, at best. I'm talking about retail prices - dealer or private. They are almost universally still over $30k. And why are we even haggling over this. Who really cares? We are right and you are wrong. End of story.

Agree with what? Drop below 30? You are talking about ASKING PRICES! This is by no means a difficult concept. Take your '07 GT500 to a dealer for a trade or a straight dump out and you will be absolutely shocked at what he will offer you. Could you sell the car on your own to a private party for more than what a dealer would offer? Probably but don't bet your life on it.

Wow! Its so great to have an expert on this forum...Finally someone who knows what Shelby's are all about!

Wait a minute.....do you even have one?

FleaBay is not the authority on car values, NADA and Kelley Blue Book are. Buying a car across the internet sight unseen from an unknown seller has risks which sellers understand and are willing to let the cars go cheaper. Most people would rather spend the proper amount of money and buy from a real person face-to-face and inspect the car themselves. That said, an '07 GT500 with 36k miles is now worth $29.6k retail (per KBB), not bad for an 8 year old car that retailed for 41k new.

Looks to me like '07 GT500 prices aren't all that low...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?_from=R40|R40&_nkw=2007+gt500&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=6001&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1

Average is still well over $30K on these sold listings of mostly '07 cars. Ebay prices will be pretty consistent with what they are actually selling for, in my experience. Yes, you can find cheaper and more expensive ones out there, but Ebay's sold listings are pretty close to what you're likely to pay. I think that they seem to be holding value OK; pretty similar to other '07 performance cars that were in the same price range when new. I think that in the longer run, another 5-10 years from now, the '07-'14 GT500s will retain a slightly higher resale value than most other performance cars their age, that sold for similar $ when new. Mustangs remain popular; the top models more so.

Archived