TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is it the wheel hop

sharabi

I was driving yest and got generous with the throttle, the road was smooth and when i got on the gas paddle it turned rough tarmac and i heard that big thump under the rear trunk. then never happened again. i inspected the car and nothing seems loose. My LCA's are BMR but i still have the stock UCA. i tried to google for a post that described the same sound but came empty. Is it a wheel hop or some thing more that am not familiar with?

You could always check the driver side muffler. The rearmost hanger needs to be more than 1/2" away from the bumper. Otherwise - 1/2" or less - it can bang on the bumper due to exhaust pipe heat expansion. It will come and go based on how hot you make it.

I was driving yest and got generous with the throttle, the road was smooth and when i got on the gas paddle it turned rough tarmac and i heard that big thump under the rear trunk. then never happened again. i inspected the car and nothing seems loose. My LCA's are BMR but i still have the stock UCA. i tried to google for a post that described the same sound but came empty. Is it a wheel hop or some thing more that am not familiar with?

I don't know what it is, but I get it too! It sounds like a hammer hitting the bottom of the car on a hard shift. I have CHI lowers and a Lakewood upper and got rid of all of the wheel hop, but I'm not so sure if it caused this or not... got the car up on my lift right now rechecking bolt tightnesses and trying to find anything suspect.

Mike

I don't know what it is, but I get it too! It sounds like a hammer hitting the bottom of the car on a hard shift. I have CHI lowers and a Lakewood upper and got rid of all of the wheel hop, but I'm not so sure if it caused this or not... got the car up on my lift right now rechecking bolt tightnesses and trying to find anything suspect.

Mike

Please keep me posted, i have read something about the bolt of panhard hitting the bottom of the car am not sure if it applies here?

Does the S197 have a rear axle snubber like the SN95 had? That use to cause such a thump and the fix was to remove the rubber snubber.

I should also say that my car is stock ride height... will look at the snubber and see if it shows signs of hitting.

My car is in a repair shop over night. For the drivers side rattle from the drivers seat to the rear over the Axel this will be the fifth time trying to fix that noise, I have a better feeling this guy will find the source. I had BMR LCA and the bushing came out on my drivers side and it was clunking. BMR sent new ones and since I had to fix the UCA as that bushing blew out you could see the grease mark on the floor pan. So I bought both LCA and UCA from Steeda they have a metal washer that helps keep the bushing in the sleeve.

muffler hanger, huh? pics please

It is wheel hop though

I've had both problems. If you don't think you have wheel hop - just simply check the hanger on the drivers side. Like I said - if it's 1/4" it will bang on the bumper when it gets hot. The diffence is - you feel the wheel hop - you just hear the hanger banging.

BillW told me that the car will only do this one time. Then it's set and it will not happen again. I will PM him this link so he can give the details.

Mine did it once...and that's all.

BillW told me that the car will only do this one time. Then it's set and it will not happen again. I will PM him this link so he can give the details.

So are you saying that its like the ronco food dehydrator......set it and forget it. Sorry, Rob I couldn't resist.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

My drivers muffler was banging on the panhard bar and drove me nuts. Took it in and the dealer adjusted the hanger and it went away. At first I thought I heard the new d/s banging into the xmsn for fear the sleeve wasn't to spec but it was.....I only had a pinkys distance between the panhard and muffler and about 2 and 1/2 fingers gap on the passenger side. Good luck :)

That is interesting since i tried to duplicate on the same road texture and so far am unable to, i know BillW is very knowledgeable and am interested in reading what he says.

:yup:

i think of it more now it is a wheel hop, and i need UCA.

I have BMR lowers and they definitely did not completely cure my wheel hop.

Look at the Roush UCA, it completely cured my wheel hop and is based on the stock design. This means no adjustments, lube or NVH. If I have any problems with my BMR LCAs, I will be getting the Roush LCAs too.

My car is in a repair shop over night. For the drivers side rattle from the drivers seat to the rear over the Axel this will be the fifth time trying to fix that noise, I have a better feeling this guy will find the source. I had BMR LCA and the bushing came out on my drivers side and it was clunking. BMR sent new ones and since I had to fix the UCA as that bushing blew out you could see the grease mark on the floor pan. So I bought both LCA and UCA from Steeda they have a metal washer that helps keep the bushing in the sleeve.

The problem with the rattel was not the exhaust but my C&L cold air tube hitting the strut tower and sounding threw the exhaust, finally my car is fixed :happy feet: you can enjoy the ride again. :shift:

• 4 months later...
I finally found the sorce of the the thump I was hearing, the Lakewood upper control arm had blown out it's bushing and the housing for the bushing was almost eggshaped!!! Should be lots quietter now with the steeda upper and mount.

Mike

I agree! I am sure it is the upper control arm making the noise. I never heard the thump after installing steeda upper and lower control arms.

Archived