TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT500 opened to Non-SVT Dealers

KingCobra

SVT confirmes today, when asked about whether or not the Shelby GT500 would be available to order through regular Ford dealerships, "it looks like it".

Is this good news or not???

How will this affect the future value of the car???

How will this affect the future of SVT???

How will this affect the mark up over MSRP???

I guess these are questions for Five O.

:shrug::headscratch::shrug::headscratch::shrug::headscratch::shrug::headscratch::shrug:

KingCobra.

SVT confirmes today, when asked about whether or not the Shelby GT500 would be available to order through regular Ford dealerships, "it looks like it".

Is this good news or not???

How will this affect the future value of the car???

How will this affect the future of SVT???

How will this affect the mark up over MSRP???

I guess these are questions for Five O.

KingCobra.

I'm not Five Oh, but I'll give it my take...

I guess it's all in how you look at it.

I can't imagine that value will suffer by buying though a non-SVT dealer. The only way future values increase is to have a rare car that more people want in the future. So, if the car is as good as they claim it will be (god I hope it is!!), and fewer people buy it (because of price or availability), "value" should go up in the future (or at least it won't decrease as much as it could if there were 100,000 instead of 10,000/yr).

This leads to the dreaded price question. Prices typically go down when there's competition. Now, the GT500 will have competition from GM/DC (although we'll have to see what they bring out to see how good the competition really is!! :beerchug: ), and Ford dealers themselves have competition from other Ford dealers. Again, if there are fewer dealers, I'd guess that prices will stay generally higher than if there were a bunch of guys selling the same car*.

In general, as a buyer, I'd hope to have multiple dealers to buy from. Tends to keep the gready from becoming too power hungry , and allows customers to have a choice where to by from.

* = this is the long term view - we already know prices will stay relatively high (MSRP+ in most cases) for the first cars sold, but in a year or 1.5 years, hopefully you'll have competition from multiple dealers wanting to sell you a GT500.

So much for the often discussed, highly cryptic SVT dealer allocation formula.

I regret that my dealer, who was one of the original SVT dealers and has "paid the dues" to be an SVT dealer since the program was founded, gets the shaft by the decision to let all Ford dealers sell the GT500. It may be little known that SVT dealers have been paying to retain this status even though they have had no product in two years. Plus, not all SVT dealers got a Ford GT.

However, given Ford's financial situation, it should build & sell as many GT500 as the market will bear. Yes, this hurts exclusivity, but from the company's standpoint, the GT500 should represent just another production unit.

This would also have the beneficial side effect for the buyer of keeping prices near MSRP.

This is not news, guys. Ford told us last year in a memo that has been passed around in various threads at this website that they will open up GT500 sales to non-SVT dealers.

The clincher is that the non-SVT dealers have to pony up and get their sales & service staffs SVT certified. Between training $'s & time, plus any SVT specific fees/dues many dealers are simply saying no to the prospect of getting just one or two cars for all of the effort and $'s required. There are about 4,000 Ford dealers and at last count only about 300 non-SVT dealers had decided to join in. There were 605 full-line SVT dealers and a couple hundred SVT-Focus dealers out there, so you'll have roughly 1,200 dealers to choose from to get a GT500.

As far as affecting prices? I'd guess that your existing will SVT dealers will want some sort of ADM over MSRP for the few GT500's they'll get, but consider the non-SVT dealer that will get just one GT500. Can't you just imagine that they'll think they won the lottery and want a fortune for that car? Especially since they had to spend a lot of time and $'s to train and sign up for that one car? I think your best prices will be had at existing SVT dealers that get a lot more GT500's.

As far as affecting future values? Twenty years from now (or even next year), will anyone really care which dealership a GT500 came from? The only time this has been a factor that I can think of would be the dealer-specific hot rods of the muscle-car era where the dealers made their own specialty models. Royal Pontiac's famous "Bobcat" GTO's. Baldwin's "Motion" Corvettes and Camaros. Don Yenko's line of Yenko Chevrolets (Corvairs, Novas, COPO Camaros & Chevelles, etc.).

There were a few years that we pondered whether to continue carrying SVT's. A few recent years saw SVT fees around $12K for the year, but we were getting SVT 20-30 vehicles per year then, so it was easier to spread out the costs over more cars. We have continued selling SVT's full line up every year, though, because we could get enough vehicles from them to justify it. A small non-SVT dealer getting just one GT500 - maybe two - doesn't sound like a good enough reason to go through the expense of $'s, training, and time, though.

Yeah Dave.

I placed my deposit with an SVT dealership in Vancouver, because Kelowna only has regular Ford dealerships. But when I heard the rumour I contacted one of them and he confirmed that this as being a possibility. Not confirmed yet, and I will likely be keeping my deposit with the original dealer anyway. If for nothing else, the SVT dealership offers parts discounts to SVT customers and they rent the Mission Speedway for thier customers every year!!!

KingCobra.

I agree.

What's Fords interest in opening up SVT sales???

KingCobra.

They're looking for added exposure nationwide to SVT products. In the past you had just 605 dealers (out of 4,000 total) selling SVT's and getting the word out. Get all the dealers offering SVT's, and the exposure goes up by a factor of 7.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 26 2006, 01:04 AM) 4279[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

They're looking for added exposure nationwide to SVT products. In the past you had just 605 dealers (out of 4,000 total) selling SVT's and getting the word out. Get all the dealers offering SVT's, and the exposure goes up by a factor of 7.

Maybe Ford is realizing the importance of its' performance division ,and has plans to ramp up production of specialty vehicles in the future. :rockon::rockon:

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 26 2006, 01:04 AM) 4279[/snapback]

Why do they need to increase their exposure if the current allocation to SVT dealers isn't going to be enough to fill demand.

It seems to me that if they open this up (and it looks like thats the plan) there will be alot fewer of them available as those dealership owners are sure to keep one for themselves.

Sometimes. Depends on the dealer. This would also surely add traffic to the showrooms...which would help Ford's sales, IMO

Archived