TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 SHELBY GT500 CLUCH SLIPPING

hahn2560

I have read many threads referencing the TSB TSB 08-16-4

My current problem is, my 2007 GT500, when in 4th or 5th gear, and under acceleration, the clutch would make a scuffing noise, and the rpms would rev up, under acceleration. I have appx 12,100 miles on the car, and litterly drive it like a baby.

My ford dealer is telling me, the clutch is worn and needs a new clutch. They have checked the access panel to the clutch, but didnt notice any wear or metal chips. They are now in the process of tearing the clutch down, after my insisting that "worn" is not telling me what failed.

After Reading TSB 08-16-4, I see there are several instances that can occure and that, clutch slippage in gear with pedal released, seems to be my probem.

I have mentioned the TSB, but was told since, there is not 1st gear problem, it doesnt apply. After reading about the plate warping, etc, I feel it does.

I'm glad I found this forum, as right now, I feel like I have a piece of junk, that was my pride and joy.

I see there are alot of knowledgeable people here, and would like there input, as in, if this, 4th and 5th gear slipping under acceleration seems to be a part of the TSB 08-16-4

Thank you for your input and help!!

How can I put this....

BULLSHIT. Tell your dealer that they are full of steaming bovine feces! My clutch failed at 18K and was covered under the TSB completely.

DO NOT PAY FOR THE REPAIRS! The dealer is stonewalling you. A clutch failure is a clutch failure, and it doesn't matter what gear(s) the slipping occurs.

Besides, I can promise you that if you stomp on the gas in 1st gear, your engine will rev and you will be barely moving because your clutch will be slipping like crazy.

Your clutch falied due to "heat checking" of the pressure plate. It does not have an adquate surface area to dissipate the heat, and as a result, your clutch's friction material is glazed and burnt up.

I'm sorry for being so blunt, but I am sick and tired of those dealer's who refuse to look past their noses and the facts and then belame the failure as "normal wear".

Normal wear at 12K miles? I don't think so.

If your dealer refuses to honor the TSB, then tell them to put the car back together so you can take it to another dealer that understands the nature of the TSB.

How can I put this....

BULLSHIT. Tell your dealer that they are full of steaming bovine feces! My clutch failed at 18K and was covered under the TSB completely.

DO NOT PAY FOR THE REPAIRS! The dealer is stonewalling you. A clutch failure is a clutch failure, and it doesn't matter what gear(s) the slipping occurs.

Besides, I can promise you that if you stomp on the gas in 1st gear, your engine will rev and you will be barely moving because your clutch will be slipping like crazy.

Your clutch falied due to "heat checking" of the pressure plate. It does not have an adquate surface area to dissipate the heat, and as a result, your clutch's friction material is glazed and burnt up.

I'm sorry for being so blunt, but I am sick and tired of those dealer's who refuse to look past their noses and the facts and then belame the failure as "normal wear".

Normal wear at 12K miles? I don't think so.

If your dealer refuses to honor the TSB, then tell them to put the car back together so you can take it to another dealer that understands the nature of the TSB.

Son of GT-

No need to be sorry when you're 100% in the right. You offer great advice. There are other dealers who know the right way to approach this TSB, mine was handled very professionally from the get go.

Clutch failure is simply what it is; I can't believe that any dealer out there is so ignorant to this TSB that they would even try to fight obvious symptoms. This forum has been the driving force in making this point so clear; props to all of the more educated members that were instrumental in helping me and countless others understand it better so that we were able to get the TSB done correctly.

Happy Birthday AMERICA!!

Wags

Take it out and romp on it for a while. It will start slipping in first and then they will repair.

Mine started slipping in forth, then third, and I am sure it was slipping in first or second but I couldn't tell from all the tire smoke and quick RPM revs. LOL

Seriously. Find another dealer if they won't replace it.

+1 on all of the above.

My clutch did the exact same thing at 7700 miles. Started slipping in 5th and 6th. It then started slipping in all of the gears later.

I had a small fight with the dealership shop, Ford SVT (or Racing, or whatever they change their name to next week), as well as Ford Motor Company, and once I reminded them that I was nearly killed by their faulty wear, which was actually true due to the fact that I was on a highway coming to an overpass with 70MPH speed limit and cars that were going 70 + in the four lanes around me. They quickly saw the problem and all was fixed. Then I went ahead and had the short throw shifter installed since they had that part of the car taken apart anyway.

My clutch did the EXACT same thing, but at 28k miles. I went the dealer armed with the TSB, appealed to the regional Ford Tech Rep, but they insisted it was just normal wear and tear on the clutch.

So I replaced it with a Spec Stage 2+ single disc and couldn't be happier. Smooth around town, easy to launch, no chatter. Cost me $1550 out of pocket.

Make it clear to your dealer that this falls under the TSB & should be fixed under waranty . Once it is apart I`am sure you will find a problem that is related to the TSB. Keep us posted on how you make out .

I don't understand why some of these dealers are avoiding steering customers to get the TSB. My dealer confirmed the need and did the TSB and then said if I have any one else that needs it please recommend them. I think it is a $4300.00 Job so that's good for the service department. Beats nickle and dime stuff like tune ups and oil changes.

I don't understand why some of these dealers are avoiding steering customers to get the TSB. My dealer confirmed the need and did the TSB and then said if I have any one else that needs it please recommend them. I think it is a $4300.00 Job so that's good for the service department. Beats nickle and dime stuff like tune ups and oil changes.

It is the Ford culture. People on this board will jump all over me for saying that, and will say that it is the same at all the brands dealerships, but I have two other brands and will say they have treated me much better than the Ford dealers do.

About 10 years ago I had a service writer tell me that the other brands all have just as many problems and I should go buy one of them. I walked out and did just that and have now had 6 cars / SUV's from "other brands", totaling $200,000 in sales (lost to Ford). They have basically had NO problems, and when they did I was treated like I would expect if I had bought a Rolls Royce.

The only reason I have a Ford is that Ford builds the very coolest Muscle Car EVER! The GT500. You simply have to put up with the BS more, but it is the labor of love for such fun machines!

I have read many threads referencing the TSB TSB 08-16-4

My current problem is, my 2007 GT500, when in 4th or 5th gear, and under acceleration, the clutch would make a scuffing noise, and the rpms would rev up, under acceleration. I have appx 12,100 miles on the car, and litterly drive it like a baby.

My ford dealer is telling me, the clutch is worn and needs a new clutch. They have checked the access panel to the clutch, but didnt notice any wear or metal chips. They are now in the process of tearing the clutch down, after my insisting that "worn" is not telling me what failed.

After Reading TSB 08-16-4, I see there are several instances that can occure and that, clutch slippage in gear with pedal released, seems to be my probem.

I have mentioned the TSB, but was told since, there is not 1st gear problem, it doesnt apply. After reading about the plate warping, etc, I feel it does.

I'm glad I found this forum, as right now, I feel like I have a piece of junk, that was my pride and joy.

I see there are alot of knowledgeable people here, and would like there input, as in, if this, 4th and 5th gear slipping under acceleration seems to be a part of the TSB 08-16-4

Thank you for your input and help!!

Mine didn't start till I was at about 12k miles too; did the 1st TSB this past Feb; then had to do it again at the end of May (first one didn't take or wasn't done right).

I'm at about 500 miles post 2nd TSB, driving great.

Its not normal wear and tear; I babied the hell out of mine and still had the problem. I'm enjoying the heck out of it now and not worrying about the clutch; if it goes out, hopefully it'll go out w/in the 12 mos 12k miles warranty offered by the dealership on their work.

I agree with everyone. 12k is just to soon for a clutch to be wore out. Unless you've been drag racing. Or any kind of racing. If you have been racing make sure you clean your fender wells good. Get all of the rubber cleaned off before you take it in. Good Luck. Be nice and educated about the repair helps most of the time.

• 6 years later...

I'm late to this party - have had my '07 for a couple years now, 21K miles on her and this is happening now. Does anyone know if this TSB is still honored, given we're 8 years down the road now? Thanks!

I'm late to this party - have had my '07 for a couple years now, 21K miles on her and this is happening now. Does anyone know if this TSB is still honored, given we're 8 years down the road now? Thanks!

tsb is not the same as a warranty....so not covered out of warranty. Many are going with aftermarket clutches and flywheel systems......cheaper and more reliable. You might want to check into that.

Crossing my fingers that I don't have to worry about this in my recent purchased 08 500. It only has 2200 miles on it so I'm hoping it's a long while before this problem arises. Id be fine if I had to fix the issue but my wife ..... not so much lol.

Archived