TEAM SHELBY FORUM

paxton novi install

Well I decided on the GT500 pumps. The reviews seem to be very good and I didn't really want to spend another few hundred on something else. My wallet is already burning after the last couple of days.

I got the kit from Summit since it's $50 cheaper than Lethal and will deliver by Tuesday at a ground rate (shipping from Sparks, NV).

http://summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-9407-GT05/

Ken

you won't be disappointed. here's the FGT pump

http://www.lethalperformance.com/07-09-she...-1-pump-p-13348

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here are the directions for the install. The relocation of the Power Steering reservoir is right next to the Windshield Washer reservoir (page 27).

http://www.paxtonauto.com/download.php?dir...4809654v4.1.pdf

It says I have to trim part of the radiator cover. Mine is a carbon fiber JLT cover that I spent a good chunk of time cutting/fitting/installing.

Is this 100% necessary. Did you have to trim yours? Does anyone have any decent pics of the PS tank installed? Thanks.

Ken

damn ken youre just fast forwarding this year lol glad you are geting to do the supercharger and i cant wait to see the install and results.

:hysterical: See what happens when the wife leaves me alone for a day or two?!

I'll have some Steeda UD pulleys and a CF elbow for you in no time! :)

Ken

It says I have to trim part of the radiator cover. Mine is a carbon fiber JLT cover that I spent a good chunk of time cutting/fitting/installing.

Is this 100% necessary. Did you have to trim yours? Does anyone have any decent pics of the PS tank installed? Thanks.

Ken

Hey Ken - You will have a custom one-off carbon fiber cover so isn't that great! Yes I did use a Dremmel tool to notch out the stock cover. You could try to find a some other place to relocate the PS reservoir. As long as the bottom of the reservoir is mounted higher than the PS pump it should be OK.

By the way, on the Revan Racing Heat Exchanger and Radiator SAI is not offering their Shelby branded version of these for the Paxton cars. They do offer this as an SGT "Cooling System Upgrade" for the Whipple and KB cars.

I assume this was because some minor metal fabrication was required to fit the wider radiator in the Paxton cars. The HE is a simple swap, but the radiator is a little more work (but totally worth it).

I am enjoing your thread Ken! Awesome!! Congrats and I am loving learning about this from you guys cool... :happy feet:

+1 agree!

Is the Paxton not California air certiified? Not a concern for you?

Awesome setup, Ken! I live near Sacramento and would love to hook up...

I am enjoing your thread Ken! Awesome!! Congrats and I am loving learning about this from you guys cool... :happy feet:

Thanks McCoy! I know it's not a WHIPPLE or anything, but I'm still pretty excited about it! ;)

Hey Ken - You will have a custom one-off carbon fiber cover so isn't that great! Yes I did use a Dremmel tool to notch out the stock cover. You could try to find a some other place to relocate the PS reservoir. As long as the bottom of the reservoir is mounted higher than the PS pump it should be OK.

By the way, on the Revan Racing Heat Exchanger and Radiator SAI is not offering their Shelby branded version of these for the Paxton cars. They do offer this as an SGT "Cooling System Upgrade" for the Whipple and KB cars.

I assume this was because some minor metal fabrication was required to fit the wider radiator in the Paxton cars. The HE is a simple swap, but the radiator is a little more work (but totally worth it).

Bummer on the rad cover, but not a deal breaker or anything. ;)

Another bummer on the Shelby cooling kit! They won't even sell the stuff to a guy with a Paxton?! That makes no sense. :headscratch:

On a side note, after reading the install guide (yeah, I read 80+ pages of that mumbo jumbo last night), it appears that as long as I don't have the IC, I get to keep my Moroso coolant reservoir in the stock locale. That's obviously no reason to NOT upgrade to the IC or anything, but just a happy little side effect of going the cheapo route for now.

+1 agree!

Is the Paxton not California air certiified? Not a concern for you?

Awesome setup, Ken! I live near Sacramento and would love to hook up...

Hey Dan we should totally hook up sometime man! I didn't realize you were so close to me. As for the Paxton, it's simply lacking an EO from the feds for the 07-08's. If you just install a Paxton, you'll have zero issue passing CA smog (I on the other hand have a set of dirty cams to contend with, when the time comes). Regardless, the Paxton was still approved for the 05-06 MGT's and is expected to get an EO for the 2010's shortly, which will retro their compliance through 07-09 as well. Phew, that was a keyboard-ful.

Ken

Hey Dan we should totally hook up sometime man! I didn't realize you were so close to me. As for the Paxton, it's simply lacking an EO from the feds for the 07-08's. If you just install a Paxton, you'll have zero issue passing CA smog (I on the other hand have a set of dirty cams to contend with, when the time comes). Regardless, the Paxton was still approved for the 05-06 MGT's and is expected to get an EO for the 2010's shortly, which will retro their compliance through 07-09 as well. Phew, that was a keyboard-ful.

Ken

This has been a concern of mine since dealing with the smog issue is not something I care to contend with. I realize it would pass the sniffer with the 05-06 unit but it would be my luck that they noticed it wasn't for an '07. It pleases me to hear that they are expecting the EO soon. I'm curious if there would likely be a Shelby/Paxton kit offered for the '07's again after fed approval. I would prefer a Shelby/Paxton kit for names sake but either way it's not going to stop me from having a supercharger.

This has been a concern of mine since dealing with the smog issue is not something I care to contend with. I realize it would pass the sniffer with the 05-06 unit but it would be my luck that they noticed it wasn't for an '07. It pleases me to hear that they are expecting the EO soon. I'm curious if there would likely be a Shelby/Paxton kit offered for the '07's again after fed approval. I would prefer a Shelby/Paxton kit for names sake but either way it's not going to stop me from having a supercharger.

Don't sweat it Dan. There is zero difference between the blowers themselves for the 05-06 and the 07-08. The only reason Paxton sells different kits is due to some changes that Ford made in the way the 3V's engine bay is laid out. Open the hood of any 05 or 06 and compare it to an 07-08 and you'll see what I mean (radiator hoses, vacuum hoses, etc).

Anyway, any clown at a smog shop doesn't know or care to look at which blower you have or whether there is a federal EO for it floating around. All they care is that your cars emissions test out fine, which they undoubtedly will, unless you've modified something else that causes it to fail. Cams, heads, off road long tube headers, etc.

If you're interested in a Shelby/Paxton, as many are/were, you'd need to send your car into SAI for the SGT/SC upgrade, assuming that SAI ever offers the Paxton again.

If you simply want a Paxton installed on your Shelby now, regardless of the SGT/SC designation, I wouldn't hesitate, as there are many great deals floating around on them right now and passing smog will never be an issue. Either way, good luck man!

Ken

Glad you pulled the trigger Ken, I'm stoked for you! Can't wait to see your pics of the install and finished product.

Thanks lots Chill, I'm really chompin on the bit over here. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve! :hysterical:

I'll definitely inundate this thread with pics, you know me. ;)

Ken

Hey Ken - looks like a nice compliment for the other mods you have installed and a great power adder for a road racing application. Two things that I would recommend are:

1.) Relocate the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor to give you an accurate reading of the air temp going into the manifold AFTER getting heated up by the SC head unit. This will allow you to get a better and safer tune. Also will be important if you add an intercooler at a later date. It's a really easy install and less than $50.

http://www.brenspeed.com/breniatrelocation.html

IntercoolerChiller01.jpg

2.) I'm sure you are not in the mood to spend any more money but you should really consider going with the Ford Racing Dual Fuel Pump. The Walbro pump by itself is fine but piggy-backing and splicing it into the stock Mustang GT pump is a less than ideal setup. The FRPP pump includes the factory wire harness and also adds a 2nd Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM). You could sell the Walbro pump kit on E-Bay to offset the cost of the FRPP pump.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=9639

Good Luck...

Does the intake need to be removed to install the sensor?

Thanks,

Russ

Just finished the Cobra pump install. The retaining ring on top of the new pump was a PITA. It took an hour or more of prying, beating, and cursing to get the thing to lock in right.

This pump has a lot more spring tension on it than the one I took out. Anyway, I'm loading pics now, then I'll get back to wiring.

Ken

I'm done for the night. I didn't finish the wiring, but it shouldn't be a problem to wrap it up tomorrow, barring any surprises.

The wiring harness that's included with the kit makes this a fairly plug & play install. It's a very well thought out, quality kit. I'm glad that I upgraded to this pump setup. (Thanks to lots of you for suggesting it)

The first pic is before I put the harness in. After that, you'll see where the second driver is mounted (next to the amp). Next, I need to mount the fuse, run the power up to the engine bay, re-wire the signal wire connectors, and tie/tape everything down. I told my wife that the blower would be here in about 12 hours and she mentioned that she's officially a member of the "Shelby Widow's Club". I got a kick outta that! :hysterical:

Ken

EDIT: I've attached the install guide that I found online, since no instructions were provided with the kit, just in case anyone needs them.

DSC06822.jpg

DSC06823.jpg

DSC06826.jpg

DSC06827.jpg

DSC06830.jpg

FRPP_GT500_FUEL_PUMP_INSTALL.pdf

FRPP_GT500_FUEL_PUMP_INSTALL.pdf

I finished the pump install and the new setup worked great on the first try. :happy feet:

The wiring was a little more complicated than I expected. I had to tear the interior apart just to get the power wire run all the way up to the fuse box.

I wasn't 100% sure on the driver plugs, as nothing was marked (as the install guide said they would be). :headscratch:

Anyway, I'm glad it's done and I'm really glad it works! Now on to the blower that arrived. Pics to follow...

Ken

DSC06831.jpg

DSC06833.jpg

DSC06834.jpg

DSC06840.jpg

DSC06841.jpg

DSC06847.jpg

Here's what the kit looks like out of the box!

It sure is nice to have the Novi in my hands after several long days of waiting. Now that it's here, the SGT is out of commission. I've drained the coolant and pulled the fan, PS res, and radiator cover. I also have the cold air intake out, along with the radiator hoses. Next up, I need to replace the underdrive pulleys. I'll be back soon with some updated pics.

Ken

DSC06842.jpg

DSC06843.jpg

DSC06844.jpg

DSC06845.jpg

DSC06846.jpg

Very interesting! Keep up the good work on this thread, Kahmann - it's definitely going to be a keeper!

Thanks a lot ilmor! :)

Here are a few pics before I call it a night. The first two are of a small tab on the driver's side cam cover that I had to cut off. Apparently this is necessary for belt clearance.

The other pics were taken a couple of hours ago, just showing the progress (destruction) under the hood. This is going to take a few solid days for sure. There are a whole lot of really small, but time consuming tasks to this thing (cutting/fitting hoses, modifying bolts, uninstalling parts for clearance of new parts then reinstalling, etc).

One side note that may be of interest to others is that my Moroso power steering reservoir will absolutely not work with this kit, which is a bummer to me. I have the OEM tank installed now, on the passenger side, and even that was very difficult to get to fit. Anyway, I guess the Moroso PS tank is now on my 'for sale' list.

Ken

DSC06849.jpg

DSC06850.jpg

DSC06853.jpg

DSC06855.jpg

DSC06856.jpg

DSC06860.jpg

DSC06861.jpg

So far, so good....great work ! Are you going to weigh everything that's going in and everything that's coming out for a net lbs?

Interesting, but my Novi looks like it's a little faster than yours :hysterical:

Looking good Ken - welcome to the club on wrestling with the fuel pump retaining ring. I remember having bloody knuckles squeezing the fuel pump in and then trying to get the spring loaded hat to seat properly, major pain in the ass. I think that's why the FRPP pump comes with a spare retaining ring.

You may want to smooth out the tab you removed on the valve cover a little more to make it more flush. The belt clearance is very tight in that spot.

Here's a tip... If you don't already have one you should get a 9/16" Reversible Ratcheting Combination Wrench. You'll want one to attach the Paxton SC head unit to the mounting plate. There are several bolts that come through the back of the plate and very little room to swing a wrench.

This one works:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...bination+Wrench

Archived