TEAM SHELBY FORUM

got lucky

well my brand new steeda ss brake lines i had broke at the fitting today on the rear driver side. i was sitting at a stop sign when my foot just went to the floor. i was heading up to borders to get some books(theres a MASSIVE hill on the way there) im counting my self lucky it didnt break there. what worries me is i had those brake lines installed last week for the shelby meet..... i raced with them on there in class 2. i can only imagaine how hard i would have plastered myself at hallet had they gone out there. god forbid they had done it on turn one and launched me back onto the highway!

im going to call my shop tommarow and have them come get the car, as is shes got a rag under her to soak up the elf 650 thats trying to puddle on the floor. i'll keep every one posted as to what the verdict is, it looks like the nipple broke between the fitting head and the hose grommet. my guess is it was over torqued but will only know when i get it up on a lift and get the wheel off. if you have steeda ss lines inspect them!

i was only a mile form my house when it happened, so i pulled into a neighborhood inspected them found the line then drove home in second gear, used my e brake to stop the car. i pushed it into the garage.

Ditto. Glad you and the car are okay. Don't be nice with the installer. Their actions could have killed you and possibly others. Glad were not reading about that on the papers right now. Let us know how you make out.

well i just got off the phone with the shop, steeda sent them the wrong lines. the ones they had put on were for stock height gt's consequently it was putting the lines under a lot of strain every time the suspension compressed. witha 1.5 inch lower ride height its a miracle they lasted so long. basically when i hit a bump it would pull on the lines. i don't blame the shop cause the ss lines are hard to tell apart when the only difference is a slight length change. you kinda expect to get what you ordered.

im about to go pick it up, i'l give more details then

well i just got off the phone with the shop, steeda sent them the wrong lines. the ones they had put on were for stock height gt's consequently it was putting the lines under a lot of strain every time the suspension compressed. witha 1.5 inch lower ride height its a miracle they lasted so long. basically when i hit a bump it would pull on the lines. i don't blame the shop cause the ss lines are hard to tell apart when the only difference is a slight length change. you kinda expect to get what you ordered.

I had a problem with them, especially the rear. They were too short, when installed and car was lowered off the lift they broke, that happened to two different lines. Steeda comment was that the line were being made by new vendor as they were unhappy with last MAF company and made a change. They sent me a set from their rear break up grade rotor kit, I have yet to have those installed. I hope those lines don't get me Killed :shift: the reason why i had them installed was that at Sebring race way I had heated up the breaks and got a spongy peddle and had to re bleed them before going home. I hope they are not having an issue with the quality from the new vendor :banghead:

If just one line broke, you should have had braking on two wheels, either both fronts or RR & LF.

The pedal goes almost to the floor, but there should be a little left - enough to get home on.

I guess I'm not seeing this right in my mind...if you had hoses for stock ride height car and your car is lowered, the hoses should have been a little too long...how could that cause them to come out? Seems you would have more travel in the hoses and shouldn't have a problem at all....now if you had RAISED your Mustang 1.5 inches, I could see the hoses being put under strain and it pulling a hose out...Am I missing something here??? Just sounds like someone is shooting some B.S. to you about the issue....

I guess I'm not seeing this right in my mind...if you had hoses for stock ride height car and your car is lowered, the hoses should have been a little too long...how could that cause them to come out? Seems you would have more travel in the hoses and shouldn't have a problem at all....now if you had RAISED your Mustang 1.5 inches, I could see the hoses being put under strain and it pulling a hose out...Am I missing something here??? Just sounds like someone is shooting some B.S. to you about the issue....

I can only tell you about my car and the rear hoses were about four inches shorter. I will be makeing sure thall all those hoses are safe and correct length.

I can only tell you about my car and the rear hoses were about four inches shorter. I will be makeing sure thall all those hoses are safe and correct length.

OK, if that's the case, I can understand how the hoses could separate then...but compression would not cause the separation...rebound would have more effect on pulling the components apart than compression would...

I guess the moral here is to make sure that the hoses are at least the same length as the stock hoses that you are replacing and all should be good....Sounds like the wrong hoses were shipped and installed...

Thanks for the info...

If just one line broke, you should have had braking on two wheels, either both fronts or RR & LF.

The pedal goes almost to the floor, but there should be a little left - enough to get home on.

not enough to get home, not by a long shot, do you know how fast it emptied that reservoir? it was gone with in 2 minutes of it happening, (most of it puddled at the back when i stopped in a neighborhood to see what had happened.

go look at your brake lines you'll notice they either snake through your stock control arms or theyr mechanically when the suspension compresses they pull from the stock hard lines that are welded to the frame, these wont move so instead the flexible line does resulting in the slack that is usually between the control arm and the calipers disappearing, eventually it gest short enough to cause strain on the caliper fittings leading to eventual failure.

im an aircraft mechanic my shop knows not to try and b.s. me cause i'll raise the flag high :redcard:

not enough to get home, not by a long shot, do you know how fast it emptied that reservoir? it was gone with in 2 minutes of it happening, (most of it puddled at the back when i stopped in a neighborhood to see what had happened.

I haven't looked at the reservoir. I guess it's not separated like some are.

I haven't looked at the reservoir. I guess it's not separated like some are.

i dont think it is, i used my e brake all the way home, let me tell you after that work out i could throw rossie o'donnel(she has her own gravity) to the moon!

Archived