TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Garage Set Up

We currently only have a two car garage and are looking at adding a third garage on to the house. This third garage will be my workshop/Lair for my Shelby. Currently my F-150 has to set out 24/7. Have any of you guys had any success with heating and cooling that area but still have a functioning garage door. How did you seal and insulate the door area.It is so hot here in the Summer that I cannot even work in my current garage.

If any of you have any pictures of your walls and floor paint I would appreciate it. I would bet some of you have some really nice setups.

Thanks

Steve

Try this forum for idea's on the garage!

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

I went with an epoxy floor after my house purchase. I added a 4 ft extension and 8' overhead doors when we bought the house. Garage is roughly 22 X 24. Think about a swamp cooler for your garage addition.

Man, that is a nice setup, love the floor. Thanks for the link.

Steve

How much does something like this cost other than doing it myself? I see these kits in Home Depot all the time. I'm sure I'd buy it and just keep staring at the box afraid of it.

I had a guy (painting professional) prep and epoxy coat my 1100 sq.ft garage floor for $2,000.

To answer your garage door question, I went with insulated alum ouside, hard plastic interior door. The interior plastic is dent resistant. I had them painted to match the wood doors on the main house, and you cannot tell the difference, and they were considerably less $$$ than wood without the maintanence...

garage_exterior.jpg

garage_interior_1.jpg

garage_interior_2.jpg

Mine actually came ducted as mine was a model home. The ducting was blocked with styrofoam. I unblocked it and the garage stays nice in cool with just a basic garage door/seal (with some spaces) and we did not see an appreciable difference in our power bills. I live in Orlando btw

Roger

I had a guy (painting professional) prep and epoxy coat my 1100 sq.ft garage floor for $2,000.

To answer your garage door question, I went with insulated alum ouside, hard plastic interior door. The interior plastic is dent resistant. I had them painted to match the wood doors on the main house, and you cannot tell the difference, and they were considerably less $$$ than wood without the maintanence...

Man, what a nice setup! :beerchug:

Steve

How much does something like this cost other than doing it myself? I see these kits in Home Depot all the time. I'm sure I'd buy it and just keep staring at the box afraid of it.

I recommend you click on the garage link above and go to the flooring section. An attempt to do it yourself almost always ends in disaster or redo. I would say 80% have issues, 20% not. I contracted a Rust Oleum guy through home depot and I think it was close to $3,000.00.

Part of the cost was the fact that the installer drove 110 miles one way (times 4 trips) to my residence. Also (and the key to installation success) the floor was sanded with a diamond grinder prior to putting down the epoxy. Another additional cost was the clear coat over the top. It's some type of Poly blend that gives a clear shine and dried in 48 hours and is said but not guaranteed to last 10 years.

Steve - I have a roll around swamp cooler (you can see it in the pic between the cars) that works ok if one door is open. If all doors are closed, it gets "soupy". I had a cold water hose bib installed in the garage as an option to supply the cooler with water. It works ok but, my humidity is much lower then yours.

Archived