TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1-2 shift

Wilson

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm so glad it doesn't have the skip shift. Hated that in my ctsv.

Only thing on my car is it doesn't like to go into second shifting fast. No grinding though.

Mine too! I do get a grind every-now-and-then at high rpm quick shifts.........still. My first oil change I will address this, unless it gets worse.

I'm so glad it doesn't have the skip shift. Hated that in my ctsv.

Only thing on my car is it doesn't like to go into second shifting fast. No grinding though.

I was having low rpm shifting issues from 1 to 2 and called Tremec and they told me they have a skip shift up to 3500 rpm.Are you not seeing that in your car--

Anyone else find it difficult to nail the 1-2 shift?

I have 2 issues I dont like:

- RPM floats a little high when press clutch. OK for lower rpm street use, but still annoying to me

- You gotta pull pretty hard to bang 2nd gear at 6200 rpm without grinding. Maybe a function of the SHORT shifter and less leverage?

Finally got enough miles on the car to push it a little. I grabbed second gear at redline with traction control on and no problems what so ever. Just broke the tires loose and got sideways :happy feet: when I grabbed second.

Around town is cake, 1 - 2 is effortless. I will try to adjust my shifting technique at redline. I have owned more powerful cars than a stock 10' GT500 and never had issues, but this is my 1st TR6060 and clutch of its type.

You are not alone bro. I have the same issue with the 1-2 at high RPM. I think a bunch of us have it and it's just a flaw with the tranny.

I def don't have a skip shift. Even real easy driving it doesn't force it to 4th like my caddy did.

thanks--it was making me go to 4th if i was speed shifting.If i took it easy, it was simple.Spoke with Rob at Tremec and he told me about the skip shift.Wonder if they changed it with all the "launch" breakage problmes they had with the Camaro,same tranny

i spoke to bob hanlon (racer and one of the country's best Tremec repair/modifiers) a couple weeks ago and basically he says we'er screwed.

THe way tremec got the trans to have more tq capacity is to make the gears wider. Well when the gears get wider the blocker rings and frictions get smaller. THe gearset on the 1-2 is spinning too fast and there isn't enough material to slow the shaft down in time during quick shifts.

I have purchased 4qt's of Redline D4 (IIRC) trans oil. It has better friction modifier in it. He said I could try it as it's the cheapest choice. Beyond that it would be replacing shift pads when they get abused and/or upgrading the internals to Gforce and spending >$5k. I will have an auto in it before that!!

If your car doesn't grind on the 1-2 then you aren't shifting fast enough (at high rpm) to see it.

Anyone else find it difficult to nail the 1-2 shift?

I have 2 issues I dont like:

- RPM floats a little high when press clutch. OK for lower rpm street use, but still annoying to me

- You gotta pull pretty hard to bang 2nd gear at 6200 rpm without grinding. Maybe a function of the SHORT shifter and less leverage?

Yes, same here. I missed the 1-2 shift several times when I was shifting at 6200. From reading the literature they emphasis having the clutch pedal fully depressed when shifting, so I figure it is a combination of the pedal not fully on the floor and the short shift travel....my other cars have been pretty forgiving of the fully depressed clutch, and this has the shorest throw of any car I have owned. It was just a matter of me retiming my hand and foot....

i spoke to bob hanlon (racer and one of the country's best Tremec repair/modifiers) a couple weeks ago and basically he says we'er screwed.

THe way tremec got the trans to have more tq capacity is to make the gears wider. Well when the gears get wider the blocker rings and frictions get smaller. THe gearset on the 1-2 is spinning too fast and there isn't enough material to slow the shaft down in time during quick shifts.

I have purchased 4qt's of Redline D4 (IIRC) trans oil. It has better friction modifier in it. He said I could try it as it's the cheapest choice. Beyond that it would be replacing shift pads when they get abused and/or upgrading the internals to Gforce and spending >$5k. I will have an auto in it before that!!

If your car doesn't grind on the 1-2 then you aren't shifting fast enough (at high rpm) to see it.

I have suspected for some time the synchros are too small ( I assume you refer to synchros as frictions) I also wonder if the mercon V fluid is too slippery for them to work? let us know if the redline oil helps.

• 10 months later...

When driving the car hard I have always had the traction control in sport mode and have never had a 1-2 shift issue. I typically turn off the traction control for burn outs and other stupid fun.

Yesterday, I decided to really get on it with the traction control all the way off and "GRIND". Thought it was something I did and tried it again, and again I grinded it. Keep in mind I know how to shift a car and was shifting at about 6000 rpm's for the 1-2 shift. Going into third was no problem.

For the third pass I put the clutch to the floor and paused for about a half a second before making the 1-2 shift and had no issues.

Has anyone taken their car into the dealer for this and successfully gotten it addressed?

Thx

When driving the car hard I have always had the traction control in sport mode and have never had a 1-2 shift issue. I typically turn off the traction control for burn outs and other stupid fun.

Yesterday, I decided to really get on it with the traction control all the way off and "GRIND". Thought it was something I did and tried it again, and again I grinded it. Keep in mind I know how to shift a car and was shifting at about 6000 rpm's for the 1-2 shift. Going into third was no problem.

For the third pass I put the clutch to the floor and paused for about a half a second before making the 1-2 shift and had no issues.

Has anyone taken their car into the dealer for this and successfully gotten it addressed?

Thx

I went to the dealer and all they could offer was tearing my tranny apart an taking pictures. I called SVT ...What a joke ! I just emailed Ford an email and I'm still waiting for a response. I think it's pretty shitty that a $52,000 performance car can't be shifted like a performance car. I'm soooo frustrated with this issue ! Sure it shifts fine if you depress the clutch for a .5 sec but that ruins strip time ! Ridiculous !!!!

I went to the dealer and all they could offer was tearing my tranny apart an taking pictures. I called SVT ...What a joke ! I just emailed Ford an email and I'm still waiting for a response. I think it's pretty shitty that a $52,000 performance car can't be shifted like a performance car. I'm soooo frustrated with this issue ! Sure it shifts fine if you depress the clutch for a .5 sec but that ruins strip time ! Ridiculous !!!!

I'm close to 2000 miles and it seems to be getting better, I doubt it will ever be a tap the clutch and power shift second car no matter what gets done to it. A lot of heavy parts in the trans and a lot of teeth on the syncros, great for torque holding capacity, but not the best fast shifting trans for sure. I'm to point where I can do pretty quick shifts and no grinding, not enough where it will seriously hurt the ET, I would be more worried about a decent 60 foot than not being able to powershift the thing.

But I do agree it sucks and really puts a damper on a fun car when you always have it in the back of your mind it may grind when trying to do a quick 1-2 shift. I would go ahead and put some miles on it and see if it gets better. May as well let the dealer tear into it and get a fresh trans at 10,000 miles if it still has issues instead of 1500, and maybe by then Ford will come up with something. Even though SVT and Ford act dumb when you call them I'm sure they know of the problem.

Just test drove a used 2011 w/per.pack today. Had 200 miles on it and 1- 2 shift was terrible. Bad grinding when shifted hard. Dealer made me a great deal and I was ready to write check till I drove it and read this thread. I'll keep my shelby gt till they get this crap figured out. I bet money its why guy traded it in on BMW with only 200 miles.

Archived