TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1-2 shift

Wilson

Anyone else find it difficult to nail the 1-2 shift?

I have 2 issues I dont like:

- RPM floats a little high when press clutch. OK for lower rpm street use, but still annoying to me

- You gotta pull pretty hard to bang 2nd gear at 6200 rpm without grinding. Maybe a function of the SHORT shifter and less leverage?

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know when I had my 05 GT the 1-2 shift was tough too due to the torquing of the motor/tranny and caused the shifter to bind up at very high rpms. I bought torque limiters which attached the bellhousing of the tranny to the frame and kept everything in-line but not sure if its the same thing in your case.

No issues for me... I've only put 120 miles on mine. Once I get over 200mi I will push it a bit more.

HERE WE GO AGAIN !!!!

Would think FORD could fix this clutch issue.....

If anyone at Ford is reading this just keep 113190....tks

I wouldn't get too concerned.. It only happens if you are really pushing it above 6k rpm.

Heck it might be just me getting used to this shifter and the fact that the trans is still tight

I've noticied it twice. I'm really happy with the gearbox and clutch but I have had a chance to play around a bit and I noticed I just couldn't get into 2nd. I want to play some more before declaring a problem. I too am thinking it is just me needing to get the feel for it. :lurk:

I've noticied it twice. I'm really happy with the gearbox and clutch but I have had a chance to play around a bit and I noticed I just couldn't get into 2nd. I want to play some more before declaring a problem. I too am thinking it is just me needing to get the feel for it. :lurk:

Ive felt the same thing--difficulty shift 1 - 2. Went out with a friend

this AM who has a Tremec in his SS Camaro,and its shifts 100% easier. Hes a real mechanical whiz and thinks its something physical in the Trans,and is not some kind of electronic limiter.Of course he was ready to drop the tranny to invetsigate,but i said its good enought for me.

Ive felt the same thing--difficulty shift 1 - 2. Went out with a friend

this AM who has a Tremec in his SS Camaro,and its shifts 100% easier. Hes a real mechanical whiz and thinks its something physical in the Trans,and is not some kind of electronic limiter.Of course he was ready to drop the tranny to invetsigate,but i said its good enought for me.

I just had a problem again. Simply would not go in. Clutch to the floor, accelerator off, high speed trying to shift quick. It feels mechanical but I want to blame myself. That theory is diminishing every time though now that I am focused on it.

Love the new handle Torched10! :shift:

I just had a problem again. Simply would not go in. Clutch to the floor, accelerator off, high speed trying to shift quick. It feels mechanical but I want to blame myself. That theory is diminishing every time though now that I am focused on it.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

COME ON FORD !!!!!

How many miles on your car?

Cobra010

:blink:

How many miles on your car?

Cobra010

Only 386 so I am still treading lightly...still haven't located anything about a break in period. So far I've only gone above 5,000 in first less than 5 times. I left two nice stripes in an empty parking lot too. At least a couple hundred feet long. Couldn't resist. :blink:

:shift:

Watched the vid on Youtube from Garage 419 and he seems to be banging the gears pretty good without any issues. In fact all the vids that show M/T, Garage 419, Edmonds ,etc teating the car seem to be grabbing the gears at the track and on the street without issues. Haven't heard anyone of them miss a shift. Wonder if the gear box is just alittle tight. :headscratch:

Watched the vid on Youtube from Garage 419 and he seems to be banging the gears pretty good without any issues. In fact all the vids that show M/T, Garage 419, Edmonds ,etc teating the car seem to be grabbing the gears at the track and on the street without issues. Haven't heard anyone of them miss a shift. Wonder if the gear box is just alittle tight. :headscratch:

I know you guys have a different motor/trans, but my 2007 GT had issues with the 1-2 and 2-3 shift at WOT that was resolved with torque limiters. I had a buddy with the same issues but Ford replaced the 1-2 ans 2-3 synchros in his T-3650.

071608002.jpg

071608003.jpg

I know you guys have a different motor/trans, but my 2007 GT had issues with the 1-2 and 2-3 shift at WOT that was resolved with torque limiters. I had a buddy with the same issues but Ford replaced the 1-2 ans 2-3 synchros in his T-3650.

The jury is still out for me. I still love the clutch and gearbox and have no trouble whatsoever when driving relatively normal. With any gear. I tested again yesterday and quickly shifted 1st to 2nd at around 5,200 which is still pretty quick. 2nd to 3rd has never been an issue even when I pushed it. I want to get more miles under my belt before I try anything really aggressive again.

:shift::peelout: :burnout:

The jury is still out for me. I still love the clutch and gearbox and have no trouble whatsoever when driving relatively normal. With any gear. I tested again yesterday and quickly shifted 1st to 2nd at around 5,200 which is still pretty quick. 2nd to 3rd has never been an issue even when I pushed it. I want to get more miles under my belt before I try anything really aggressive again.

Im not much of a gearhead,but in between beers and cooking brats today,found this reference to an issue with the Tremec 6060,which is what we all have--any coments would be apprciated

http://www.mscsoftware.com/events/vpd2009/...remec_Ortiz.pdf

Thanks for that, I hate to hear all this snatching and grabbing and winding with 2-300 miles on the car. Lots of money to be tearing it up before it is even broken in.

Cobra010

was the conclusion that we were demanding whiny drivers....lol?

heres more info--from a blog i found today as well--i dont feel an engine blog, i feel a physical (sounds like a song) thing slowing the shift.Ill keep looking

New Shelby GT500 Trans Upgrades

Ford’s new Shelby GT500 is just about perfect – it looks great, goes like hell and it makes all of the right sounds. Unfortunately, it has one major flaw that affects both performance and detracts from the driving experience. Ford selected gear ratios for the Tremec 6060 transmission to optimize 0-60mph times. The problem is that these ratios cause the engine to bog down on the 1-2 shift and also reduce shift quality.

heres more info--from a blog i found today as well--i dont feel an engine blog, i feel a physical (sounds like a song) thing slowing the shift.Ill keep looking

New Shelby GT500 Trans Upgrades

Ford’s new Shelby GT500 is just about perfect – it looks great, goes like hell and it makes all of the right sounds. Unfortunately, it has one major flaw that affects both performance and detracts from the driving experience. Ford selected gear ratios for the Tremec 6060 transmission to optimize 0-60mph times. The problem is that these ratios cause the engine to bog down on the 1-2 shift and also reduce shift quality.

I know the tremec 6060 is supposed to be an excellent trans, and the new flywheel solved the problem. It is too early to say any thing until those cars are driven for significant time and distance. The not so good sign that there are few members on the forum who started having the same dreaded 1-2 shift problem with the new generation flywheel. too early to tell though will see how it unfolds with time.

I know the tremec 6060 is supposed to be an excellent trans, and the new flywheel solved the problem. It is too early to say any thing until those cars are driven for significant time and distance. The not so good sign that there are few members on the forum who started having the same dreaded 1-2 shift problem with the new generation flywheel. too early to tell though will see how it unfolds with time.

Thanks--in your experience do these trannys loosen up over time.

Thanks--in your experience do these trannys loosen up over time.

I cannot say much since i have the older generation flywheel, however with almost 5000 miles on the car so far the shifting is smooth. My clutch is harder to push than the 2010 i guess, even members who had a successful TSB mentioned that the shifting effort is much smoother and more precise. as long as you are pushing the clutch pedal all the way before shifting it should be smooth from the start, again give it some time and see how it goes and do not let it distract you from the fun of driving this awesome car.

I have 4600 miles on the TSB. The KR shift and transmission has loosed up nicely.

Thanks for that, I hate to hear all this snatching and grabbing and winding with 2-300 miles on the car. Lots of money to be tearing it up before it is even broken in.

Cobra010

I'm not tearing anything up. I had over 100 miles on her when I first decided to see what first gear was capable of. That can be done without taking the engine near redline. The engines have been run in on a dyno at the factory - I don't know how much. But from recent experience with my GT and remembering other new vehicles I have owned, the recommendation was to not run the engine under a constant speed for very long. I may be wrong, I don't know. I've even read the infamous "break 'er in like you normally drive" line too. I don't believe that. This car has 540 HP, you can cause a spectacle without crossing 4,000 RPM. I never went beyond that before 200 miles and never for any length- hence the desire to shift. Letting off and reacting correctly is key. I'm not trying to race anyone. Having said that, if you're in a Volkswagen and want to tailgate me, I can show you what 4th gear can do at 75 without breaking a sweat.

Just my humble opinion, and no offense intended whatsoever Cobra010. "Tearing it up" doesn't fit, sorry or giving the wrong impression.

And I've already proven I'm an idiot by paying some ADM. If I'm supposed to be driving around at 30 for the first 1,000 miles, somebody let me know.

Meanwhile, since it's so hard to park, I expect her to be broken in within a week. I have 10 days off and the road beckons. :woohoo:

Happy 4th everyone!! :beerchug:

I'm not tearing anything up. I had over 100 miles on her when I first decided to see what first gear was capable of. That can be done without taking the engine near redline. The engines have been run in on a dyno at the factory - I don't know how much. But from recent experience with my GT and remembering other new vehicles I have owned, the recommendation was to not run the engine under a constant speed for very long. I may be wrong, I don't know. I've even read the infamous "break 'er in like you normally drive" line too. I don't believe that. This car has 540 HP, you can cause a spectacle without crossing 4,000 RPM. I never went beyond that before 200 miles and never for any length- hence the desire to shift. Letting off and reacting correctly is key. I'm not trying to race anyone. Having said that, if you're in a Volkswagen and want to tailgate me, I can show you what 4th gear can do at 75 without breaking a sweat.

Just my humble opinion, and no offense intended whatsoever Cobra010. "Tearing it up" doesn't fit, sorry or giving the wrong impression.

And I've already proven I'm an idiot by paying some ADM. If I'm supposed to be driving around at 30 for the first 1,000 miles, somebody let me know.

Meanwhile, since it's so hard to park, I expect her to be broken in within a week. I have 10 days off and the road beckons. :woohoo:

Happy 4th everyone!! :beerchug:

I tried to make sure the clutch was all the way to the floor,and it seems better

I just got the August 2009 edition of 5.0 Mustang & Super Ford and it has a full review of the 2010 Shelby GT500. The writer, who I believe has a 2008 GT500 personally, made comment about the 1-2 shift not being smooth as he'd like.

In addition he mentioned shifter wasn't as smooth as a recently tested KR and that the '10's have a clutch protection strategy programmed into the Spanish Oak system.

Anybody know what that is all about?

I should add that this is an awesome article that anybody with a 2010 should get into their collection!

I just got the August 2009 edition of 5.0 Mustang & Super Ford and it has a full review of the 2010 Shelby GT500. The writer, who I believe has a 2008 GT500 personally, made comment about the 1-2 shift not being smooth as he'd like.

In addition he mentioned shifter wasn't as smooth as a recently tested KR and that the '10's have a clutch protection strategy programmed into the Spanish Oak system.

Anybody know what that is all about?

I should add that this is an awesome article that anybody with a 2010 should get into their collection!

hmm i will have to check out this article... thanks for the heads up.

Archived