TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1-2 shift

Wilson

Nope--no hiss,and mines hard to shift even at 2000rpms.I just dont feel like brinign in a brand new car to a dealer who hasnt worked on a 2010.I think theyve modifed the gearing in the 2010 Tremec somewhat,so not sure what they would do.

I don't have any problem with 1-2 shift. If I am running through the gears hard I have a tendency to try to force Third gear instead of letting the shifter center itself before pushing up to third, it is strictly a human error on my part. I don't always do it but I have to be concious on the 2-3 shift. the fourth is easy like the 1-2 should be it just a straight back shift. If I were you I would not hesitate to take the car in and at least let them check your linkage just to make sure there are no adjustment issues.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
when you want to change the shifter to ford racing or any other short shifter brand you have to drop the trans to do so.

I don't know if there is any adjustments or not. If Torched10 called the dealer they probably could tell him if there is an adjustment check they could do.

I don't know if there is any adjustments or not. If Torched10 called the dealer they probably could tell him if there is an adjustment check they could do.

Ill do that--i was thinking of calling Tremec and ask them---wonder if they'd talk with me HMMM!!Ill post whatever i find

Ill do that--i was thinking of calling Tremec and ask them---wonder if they'd talk with me HMMM!!Ill post whatever i find

Ok checked with Ford dealerships here in Atl,and they are not familiar with the new 6060,thought there wasnt an external adjustment,but said they hadnt seen the issue with even earlier models of the GT500

Called Tremec and they said no external adjustment and wouldnt comment on whethe theyd seen the issue.

Then did a little more research and found there was ahold on the 2010 SS Camaro because of some brioken shaft issues with the TREMEC 6060.Heres

a link

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/13/breakin...lures-reported/

Ill bring it in to local dealer next week and give an update then

Ok checked with Ford dealerships here in Atl,and they are not familiar with the new 6060,thought there wasnt an external adjustment,but said they hadnt seen the issue with even earlier models of the GT500

Called Tremec and they said no external adjustment and wouldnt comment on whethe theyd seen the issue.

Then did a little more research and found there was ahold on the 2010 SS Camaro because of some brioken shaft issues with the TREMEC 6060.Heres

a link

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/13/breakin...lures-reported/

Ill bring it in to local dealer next week and give an update then

There were old WARMLY discussed threads.....lol..... about that and i said that there has to be some manufacturer fault with tremec 6060 since you have different cars different flywheels different engines and one common denominator tremec 6060 and all experienced similar problem and now adding to the list the camaro (am not sure if it has the same flywheel as the vette)

There were old WARMLY discussed threads.....lol..... about that and i said that there has to be some manufacturer fault with tremec 6060 since you have different cars different flywheels different engines and one common denominator tremec 6060 and all experienced similar problem and now adding to the list the camaro (am not sure if it has the same flywheel as the vette)

HOLD UP! I had my first 1-2 grind! I was going pretty hard...shifted just before the rev limiter kicked in. It grinded pretty loud but it still somewhat easily went into 2nd. It just made a rather loud, quick grind...it had exactly 1008.5 miles when it happened. This is the first time on the 1-2 punch that it happened. I guess that you can take me off of the list of 2010's that haven't grinded yet. Any thoughts?

HOLD UP! I had my first 1-2 grind! I was going pretty hard...shifted just before the rev limiter kicked in. It grinded pretty loud but it still somewhat easily went into 2nd. It just made a rather loud, quick grind...it had exactly 1008.5 miles when it happened. This is the first time on the 1-2 punch that it happened. I guess that you can take me off of the list of 2010's that haven't grinded yet. Any thoughts?

No way i am questioning your driving skills, but in a rush it is possible to shift without pushing the clutch all the way especially with high RPM, do you think the clutch pushed all the way then before hearing that sound?

No way i am questioning your driving skills, but in a rush it is possible to shift without pushing the clutch all the way especially with high RPM, do you think the clutch pushed all the way then before hearing that sound?

I haven't had "the problem" for a couple of weeks but I'm still leaning towards pilot error in my case. I have hit it without problems when totally focused. I think Torched10 may have a more serious issue since he has difficulty when shifting at a relatively low speed/RPM. I'm interested to see if there is perhaps a problem in light of the recent news about the Camaro's gearbox. :unsure:

I am pretty sure that I had the clutch all the way in.......I shifted pretty hard to get it into 2nd...From reading these posts, I am getting just little bit concerned. I actually work at a Chevy dealership and the manual SS is STILL on constraint due to some questionable reasons! Please note, it has only happened 1 time...and it could have been driver error, but I don't think so. The tranny could have not warmed up enough...

I am pretty sure that I had the clutch all the way in.......I shifted pretty hard to get it into 2nd...From reading these posts, I am getting just little bit concerned. I actually work at a Chevy dealership and the manual SS is STILL on constraint due to some questionable reasons! Please note, it has only happened 1 time...and it could have been driver error, but I don't think so. The tranny could have not warmed up enough...

Keep an eye on it and let's keep this thread going. I think Torched10 has a serious issue. My last problem was when I was accelerating to merge into traffic on a local high volume road, not highway. By the way, that's another wonderful feature of this car as everyone knows. It sure is easy to merge passing through 80 in a 75 zone on a very short highway entrance ramp. In 3rd. :hysterical:

This was only 45 so I was way beyond that unwittingly. :shift:

Oops, sorry for digressing. Just can't get over this car.

So yeah, I wasn't paying attention to the dash. I was looking in the drivers side rear view and just hit a block. It was as if I had pulled back into the dead spot (the horizontal part of the typical H pattern). I am sure I did not do that. I put a Steeda Tri-Axial in my '06 GT and loved it. I got it because I didn't like the 2nd to 3rd shift on the stock shifter. I kept slamming into the dead spot from 2nd to 3rd when I was focusing on it. Technique or preference, your call. I personally think the stock shifter on the GT500 is equal if not better than the Steeda. I will admit that I did look at the Steeda for the GT500. It was the absolute best mod I did to the GT so looking didn't hurt. But honestly I love the feel of the GT500 shifter/gearbox and haven't missed a 2nd to 3rd yet. Even when I'm standiing on it.

Chirped the tires numerous times 2nd to 3rd and I &^#@ing love it! :peelout:

By my best recollection, I grinded once and hit the "block" 4 times. It just will not pull back into 2nd. I double clutch and let the revs drop to recover and manage not to get run over (right! give it a try and let me show you just what 3rd gear can do in this car!). I'd say probably 5 or 6 times successful when I am focusing on making the car perform and not dealing with traffic. No problem, everything works and the rear view fills with a wide array of all sorts of cars.

3rd gear is just the most amazing thing, isn't it?!? :happy feet:

On a side note: I can't remember the thread where I read it, but when I got the Steeda on my GT, they did not have to drop the gearbox. I can't see that being different on the GT500. Thoughts and opinions? :lurk:

Keep an eye on it and let's keep this thread going. I think Torched10 has a serious issue. My last problem was when I was accelerating to merge into traffic on a local high volume road, not highway. By the way, that's another wonderful feature of this car as everyone knows. It sure is easy to merge passing through 80 in a 75 zone on a very short highway entrance ramp. In 3rd. :hysterical:

This was only 45 so I was way beyond that unwittingly. :shift:

Oops, sorry for digressing. Just can't get over this car.

So yeah, I wasn't paying attention to the dash. I was looking in the drivers side rear view and just hit a block. It was as if I had pulled back into the dead spot (the horizontal part of the typical H pattern). I am sure I did not do that. I put a Steeda Tri-Axial in my '06 GT and loved it. I got it because I didn't like the 2nd to 3rd shift on the stock shifter. I kept slamming into the dead spot from 2nd to 3rd when I was focusing on it. Technique or preference, your call. I personally think the stock shifter on the GT500 is equal if not better than the Steeda. I will admit that I did look at the Steeda for the GT500. It was the absolute best mod I did to the GT so looking didn't hurt. But honestly I love the feel of the GT500 shifter/gearbox and haven't missed a 2nd to 3rd yet. Even when I'm standiing on it.

Chirped the tires numerous times 2nd to 3rd and I &^#@ing love it! :peelout:

By my best recollection, I grinded once and hit the "block" 4 times. It just will not pull back into 2nd. I double clutch and let the revs drop to recover and manage not to get run over (right! give it a try and let me show you just what 3rd gear can do in this car!). I'd say probably 5 or 6 times successful when I am focusing on making the car perform and not dealing with traffic. No problem, everything works and the rear view fills with a wide array of all sorts of cars.

3rd gear is just the most amazing thing, isn't it?!? :happy feet:

On a side note: I can't remember the thread where I read it, but when I got the Steeda on my GT, they did not have to drop the gearbox. I can't see that being different on the GT500. Thoughts and opinions? :lurk:

X2! Third gear is freaking amazing...just slide her in and...good lord! And about merging...let's just say that I haven't had any problems so far. I tried the 3rd gear merge this morning actually...it left me in a great mood for the day!

X2! Third gear is freaking amazing...just slide her in and...good lord! And about merging...let's just say that I haven't had any problems so far. I tried the 3rd gear merge this morning actually...it left me in a great mood for the day!

Not to get off topic, but how about the 6-3 "foot on the floor" downshift, OH MY, I've actually gotten dizzy from it!!!

That is the sweet spot...3d gear! :)

Thanks for the link.With the GT500 having alot more hp/torque than the SS,if the 6060 is basically the same,id expect alot of broken shafts--but at laeast on this forum,havent seen much.MY 1-2shift issues happen at low rpm as well,and i can actually hear an audible clunk,so Im thinking its not the same issue as the SS.Hope the dealer can take care of it

Not to get off topic, but how about the 6-3 "foot on the floor" downshift, OH MY, I've actually gotten dizzy from it!!!

I actually did this my first time a week ago...I was not paying enough attention as I should have been. It was early in the morning on the way to work. Needless to say, I had AdvancTrak and Traction Control on (as always, daily driving)...going about 80 when I power shifted into 3rd. I lurched forward because the computer said hold up...the tires are spinning. Kinda freaked me out because, well, I was spinning my tires going 80. Never-the-less I pay A LOT more attention to those kind of details when wanting to have some fun at speed. And good lord, it sure is a rush. 3rd gear is insane! :happy feet:

Thanks for the link.With the GT500 having alot more hp/torque than the SS,if the 6060 is basically the same,id expect alot of broken shafts--but at laeast on this forum,havent seen much.MY 1-2shift issues happen at low rpm as well,and i can actually hear an audible clunk,so Im thinking its not the same issue as the SS.Hope the dealer can take care of it

I agree there was not one single broken shaft with gt500 cases discussed here unless am not aware of it. there was issue with the diameter of the shaft and the lube but not to my knowledge a broken one (the

guys are running north of 600 rwhp).

edit:

I hope it could be figured out and fixed to your liking.

I agree there was not one single broken shaft with gt500 cases discussed here unless am not aware of it. there was issue with the diameter of the shaft and the lube but not to my knowledge a broken one (the

guys are running north of 600 rwhp).

edit:

I hope it could be figured out and fixed to your liking.

thanks--im going to try it with ATC off, and then sport mode and see if i get the same result.then to the dealer this week

thanks--im going to try it with ATC off, and then sport mode and see if i get the same result.then to the dealer this week

Well, think i figured out the problem.Had a good friend of mine who restores cars, both mechanically and sheetmetal ,drive my car today and asked him to drive it hard--didnt tell him what issue i was having.After going thru the gears and shifting at over 5,000 he had no issues,it shifted fine.He asked if it had a skip shift in it--i didnt know.So called Tremec again and spoke with a different tech guy and guess what.Theres a skp shift solenoid in it that trys to force you to 4th under 3500 rpm--he said thats why it performs better at high rpms, and thats why i couldnt shift quickly into 2nd.Interesting.Ive tried it several times today shifting over 5000 and its fine--

Well, think i figured out the problem.Had a good friend of mine who restores cars, both mechanically and sheetmetal ,drive my car today and asked him to drive it hard--didnt tell him what issue i was having.After going thru the gears and shifting at over 5,000 he had no issues,it shifted fine.He asked if it had a skip shift in it--i didnt know.So called Tremec again and spoke with a different tech guy and guess what.Theres a skp shift solenoid in it that trys to force you to 4th under 3500 rpm--he said thats why it performs better at high rpms, and thats why i couldnt shift quickly into 2nd.Interesting.Ive tried it several times today shifting over 5000 and its fine--

It is for gas saving from what i read, been on vettes , vipers, camaros , chally....and some guys are finding their way around it, i still do not see how would that cause grinding 1-2 even if you are at lower RPM!

I actually did this my first time a week ago...I was not paying enough attention as I should have been. It was early in the morning on the way to work. Needless to say, I had AdvancTrak and Traction Control on (as always, daily driving)...going about 80 when I power shifted into 3rd. I lurched forward because the computer said hold up...the tires are spinning. Kinda freaked me out because, well, I was spinning my tires going 80. Never-the-less I pay A LOT more attention to those kind of details when wanting to have some fun at speed. And good lord, it sure is a rush. 3rd gear is insane! :happy feet:

Best quote! "...going about 80 when I power shifted into 3rd. I lurched forward because the computer said hold up...the tires are spinning. Kinda freaked me out because, well, I was spinning my tires going 80."

Best quote! "...going about 80 when I power shifted into 3rd. I lurched forward because the computer said hold up...the tires are spinning. Kinda freaked me out because, well, I was spinning my tires going 80."

Yep, that is my quote up there! :lurk:

Well, I grinded the 1-2 shift again. This time I know that I pushed the clutch in all the way...and this may have had something to do with it = I did ping the rev limiter (just briefly) this time. Any other thoughts?

It is for gas saving from what i read, been on vettes , vipers, camaros , chally....and some guys are finding their way around it, i still do not see how would that cause grinding 1-2 even if you are at lower RPM!

Actually the Tremec folks said it was an EPA issue---apparently reducing the number of shifts reduces the amount of emissions generated bbetween gears.Im old enough to remember this with the Pontiac SDs in 73/74. They would test the engines for emissions and if they failed they made them into AT cars.Those that passed became 4spd cars

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe this isn't a fluke. I'm wondering if this is worth talking to my dealer about. This is from the Motor Trend Article Comparison: 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 vs 2010 Hennessey Camaro HPE550 vs 2010 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 which was posted on the forum about a week ago:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes...srt8/index.html

The Shelby may not enjoy the rough stuff, as a hard crunch could be heard during fast 1-2 shifts. "Shifter is generally quite good, though I'm concerned that the second-gear synchros objected loudly to brisk upshifts. Felt damaged; perhaps they're simply not stout enough?" wonders St. Antoine.

They got this part wrong though:

Supercharged 90-deg V-8, alum block/ heads :headscratch:

Maybe this isn't a fluke. I'm wondering if this is worth talking to my dealer about. This is from the Motor Trend Article Comparison: 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 vs 2010 Hennessey Camaro HPE550 vs 2010 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 which was posted on the forum about a week ago:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes...srt8/index.html

The Shelby may not enjoy the rough stuff, as a hard crunch could be heard during fast 1-2 shifts. "Shifter is generally quite good, though I'm concerned that the second-gear synchros objected loudly to brisk upshifts. Felt damaged; perhaps they're simply not stout enough?" wonders St. Antoine.

They got this part wrong though:

Supercharged 90-deg V-8, alum block/ heads :headscratch:

Or maybe the clutches are still dragging and loading the synchro's more than they should be loaded?

I thought I screwed up last night. I was doing a 1-2 shift and all of a sudden I heard grinding. I thought I did something wrong. This is the 2nd time that it has happened.

SO whats the verdict on this?

Alan

glad to hear more ppl reporting on this issue!

We need to report it to SVT hotline. ALL OF US having the issue. I myself have not complained yet. BUt will now.

Archived