TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1-2 shift

Wilson

I'm not tearing anything up. I had over 100 miles on her when I first decided to see what first gear was capable of. That can be done without taking the engine near redline. The engines have been run in on a dyno at the factory - I don't know how much. But from recent experience with my GT and remembering other new vehicles I have owned, the recommendation was to not run the engine under a constant speed for very long. I may be wrong, I don't know. I've even read the infamous "break 'er in like you normally drive" line too. I don't believe that. This car has 540 HP, you can cause a spectacle without crossing 4,000 RPM. I never went beyond that before 200 miles and never for any length- hence the desire to shift. Letting off and reacting correctly is key. I'm not trying to race anyone. Having said that, if you're in a Volkswagen and want to tailgate me, I can show you what 4th gear can do at 75 without breaking a sweat.

Just my humble opinion, and no offense intended whatsoever Cobra010. "Tearing it up" doesn't fit, sorry or giving the wrong impression.

And I've already proven I'm an idiot by paying some ADM. If I'm supposed to be driving around at 30 for the first 1,000 miles, somebody let me know.

Meanwhile, since it's so hard to park, I expect her to be broken in within a week. I have 10 days off and the road beckons. :woohoo:

Happy 4th everyone!! :beerchug:

The engines are hooked up to a machine at the factory that runs them by AIR for 10-15 seconds at 3 different RPM stages. Yes the engines are fired by air and not combustion. I have been in the niche line plant at Romeo and watched this. It's the last station of the build process. There are 20 stations. Take a look at my Engine build sheet and the data that is collected at Station #20.

th_Buildersshirtsandbuildsheet011.jpg

th_Buildersshirtsandbuildsheet010.jpg

th_Buildersshirtsandbuildsheet008.jpg

th_Buildersshirtsandbuildsheet007.jpg

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the Tremec six speed can be a little difficult on the 1st to 2nd shift as I have experienced this issue on my 03 Cobra and the 07 Shelby and is more prevalent on start up until things get warm....I have just learned to live with it.

What I don't understand is how all these press people can beat the snot out of these cars (check out any of the videos) and you never hear any of them complaining about these issues....not saying that they are not real because I have them per my note above.

I know the Tremec six speed can be a little difficult on the 1st to 2nd shift as I have experienced this issue on my 03 Cobra and the 07 Shelby and is more prevalent on start up until things get warm....I have just learned to live with it.

What I don't understand is how all these press people can beat the snot out of these cars (check out any of the videos) and you never hear any of them complaining about these issues....not saying that they are not real because I have them per my note above.

Magazines are financed by advertising that pays all the bills. Those advertisers are the people who's cars they are reviewing. Is essence, all the reviews are paid advertising. Plus those press cars are closely managed by the manufacturers.

If you read back issues you will see that the '99 Cobra was the best Mustang and even find words like "perfect". Then again in 2003, and 2007, and now 2010. It is what car magazines do. They help sell cars, which generates adds, which pay the bills.....

• 3 weeks later...

Just tested my car a little last nite and experienced the 1-2 shift concern. have about 350 miles on it. Have you guys with more miles found that it has loosened up any or are you really deliberate with the shift?

Just tested my car a little last nite and experienced the 1-2 shift concern. have about 350 miles on it. Have you guys with more miles found that it has loosened up any or are you really deliberate with the shift?

what exactly did you experience?

what exactly did you experience?

When near red line in 1st gear a quick shift attempt missed 2nd and went to neutral. I have heard that when torqued the shift is much more difficult. Tried again this morning and was very concious of my shift and it worked fine although deffinetly stiffer that into 3rd or 4th. Seems that the shift to 2nd and 6th is just not as precise as the other gears on my car, wondering if others feel the same or I may have a problem. It's been this way for the 550 miles that are on the car.

Thanks for that, I hate to hear all this snatching and grabbing and winding with 2-300 miles on the car. Lots of money to be tearing it up before it is even broken in.

Cobra010

I agree. If you're leaving lots of rubber behind that = sitting still. For me I like to go fast moving forward with little smoke, but to each their own. Heh, run the crap out of 'em if you want.

btw, I have not run into any shifting problems other than 6th gear is hard to find sometimes lol.

When near red line in 1st gear a quick shift attempt missed 2nd and went to neutral. I have heard that when torqued the shift is much more difficult. Tried again this morning and was very concious of my shift and it worked fine although deffinetly stiffer that into 3rd or 4th. Seems that the shift to 2nd and 6th is just not as precise as the other gears on my car, wondering if others feel the same or I may have a problem. It's been this way for the 550 miles that are on the car.

Don't know if you have a problem or not but the following shifting technique works on my 2010:

1st to 2nd shift -- pull the stick a little towards you during the shift down

2nd to 3rd -- just push it up and don't put any side forces on it. Mine springs into third on its own.

3rd to 4th -- straight down

4th to 5th -- do this one slower and deliberately zig it to the right over through neutral and then up to 5th

5th to 6th -- push a little away from you as you go down

Sounds like a lot but after a few times you are doing it without thinking. Been at the drag strip and have not had any shifting problems.

Cobra010, I get your drift about pushing these cars before break-in. WOW, I can't believe 50 G's + and the lack of patience. The owners manual clearly says 1000 mile for break in. For 50 G's, I read the book. Sorry If I may be stepping on some toes here with some attitude but, its in black and white.

Also, I was told by my dealer, that these cars have a so called "black box" in them. If you are hitt the throttle that hard before break in, you may void the warranty.

Guys and Gals, Unless you are hard core racers, have some patience, break it in properly, get your first oil change, and then put your baby through it paces. The car is purposely built to perform but, like a fine wine, it takes time.

Don't know if you have a problem or not but the following shifting technique works on my 2010:

2nd to 3rd -- just push it up and don't put any side forces on it. Mine springs into third on its own.

4th to 5th -- do this one slower and deliberately zig it to the right over through neutral and then up to 5th

Sounds like a lot but after a few times you are doing it without thinking. Been at the drag strip and have not had any shifting problems.

+1

This is exactly what I tend to do when shifting my 2010!!! I just figured that the tranny is "tough" sometimes because there is so much power to be controlled and put to the ground. No problems in hard/fast shifting here...I have about 550 miles on mine.

Thanks for the reply, sounds like our cars work the same, just needed to clarify to see if it was me or the car.

BTW, these cars are really nice and are great just tooling around with cold a/c and good music. looks good in all light conditions and gets lots of thumbs ups. The power is very linear and easy to control, no harsh banging or clunking, just a really well tuned vehicle. I know some people get all upset and think some kid must be sitting in the driveway banging it off the rev limiter or taking it out cold and red lining every shift, mine still hasn't seen the rev limiter! but if that is what you think then you should not just assume, we all know what that means.

The point of this thread is the 1-2shift and was looking for answers directed at that, thanks for those of you who replied. The rest of you, if you feel i am mistreating my car you could come wash it for me after every time i drive it to be sure it knows it's loved and that would be some real help for me too.

YES. I know what you mean about the 1-2 shift. It's a bit hard to get into when you're slammin on the gas pedal. I have experienced what you're talkin about 2 times. I got it up and running, went to shift into 2nd, and grinded the gear. Really pissed me off. But yeah, I know what you mean. It's not just your car.

YES. I know what you mean about the 1-2 shift. It's a bit hard to get into when you're slammin on the gas pedal. I have experienced what you're talkin about 2 times. I got it up and running, went to shift into 2nd, and grinded the gear. Really pissed me off. But yeah, I know what you mean. It's not just your car.

It should not grind at all.

It should not grind at all.

Of course, but it does.

Many of you commenting probably never will bring the RPM's above 5k.... That's fine. Not me though.

So please only add to this thread if you experience grinding on the 1-2 shift at high rpm.

I am pretty sure I know how to shift by now since I have owned a few SVT mustangs.

Of course, but it does.

Many of you commenting probably never will bring the RPM's above 5k.... That's fine. Not me though.

So please only add to this thread if you experience grinding on the 1-2 shift at high rpm.

I am pretty sure I know how to shift by now since I have owned a few SVT mustangs.

am not disputing your skills in driving stick, however it should not grind if it does then there is a hidden defect that will show later.

Of course, but it does.

Ive hit the rev limiter twice in 1st when i couldnt get into 2nd--its almosy a physical thing in the shifter and wont let it go thru

Sorry if this is a stupid question. What is the "official" red line on this car? How far can one safely go over it with a tune? I want to test out my 1-2 shift at high rpms now that I have a few miles on the car.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry if this is a stupid question. What is the "official" red line on this car? How far can one safely go over it with a tune? I want to test out my 1-2 shift at high rpms now that I have a few miles on the car.

Am i the only one who is still having 1/2 shift issues.I know how to drive a stick,been drag racing et al--and am still getting a very "clunky" shift.At idle its fine, then it doesnt matter what RPM,it just will not go straight back w/o a hesitation.

Am i the only one who is still having 1/2 shift issues.I know how to drive a stick,been drag racing et al--and am still getting a very "clunky" shift.At idle its fine, then it doesnt matter what RPM,it just will not go straight back w/o a hesitation.

sometimes when i"m haulin ass I have a problem trying to get it into 5th gear, you?

sometimes when i"m haulin ass I have a problem trying to get it into 5th gear, you?

Fifth gear is a bit tough for me sometimes as well...I haven't had any issues with the 1-2 shift...it is just a little tough sometimes but never grinds. :happy feet:

Can't say that I've had any problems with the 1 to 2 shift on my car. It's pretty smooth for me.

It is totally different flywheel/clutch than our model but for the heck of it did you try clutch test grabber described in an early thread?.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...lutch+hiss+test

This concern is definately still there. I have learned to be very firm with my shift when running at high rpm's. never grinds, it's just always stiff. under normal driving conditions it is a non issue. I believe it has something to do with the engine torquing everything and causing binding in the linkage. I will do some research and see what I can find.

I give up trying to race mine because I cannot nail the 1-2 shift to save my life, 2-3 shift is a piece of cake. It's a '08 model so maybe I have some of the other issues, am holding my breath, only 1200 miles and still praying it will loosen up.

thanks for the thread--ill try it and give feedback--bob

Nope--no hiss,and mines hard to shift even at 2000rpms.I just dont feel like brinign in a brand new car to a dealer who hasnt worked on a 2010.I think theyve modifed the gearing in the 2010 Tremec somewhat,so not sure what they would do.

Nope--no hiss,and mines hard to shift even at 2000rpms.I just dont feel like brinign in a brand new car to a dealer who hasnt worked on a 2010.I think theyve modifed the gearing in the 2010 Tremec somewhat,so not sure what they would do.

at least that is a good news. It could be she needs time breaking in. enjoy driving her!

Archived