TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1-2 shift

Wilson

I think the problem is that we all think of these cars as something Ford would want to make us all super satisfied with, when in reality, these are just cars like all the rest they sell.

Sony doesn't care more about their XBR customers than the others.

Sure the Gt500 plays to an enthusiast market, but in the high volume they live in, there is a system in place to address customer issues. Sure we think ours are most important, but they probably have Models that sell in massively higher numbers with much bigger issues than grinding gears. Sure grinding gears suck to us, but to them they have squeekier gears that need grease.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ford keeps screwing up trying to get the remaining part to the dealer (gear) and is supposed to be there today to reassemble the trans. First

they sent the wrong part and now Fedex is lost in action so another part was sent Fedex. Ford is paying my monthly payment as we are at

the 33 day mark in the shop now. My detailed email was also sent to the engineers in SVT and maybe they will look in to this grind issue.

At least they are officially aware (Jamal Hameedi, chief nameplate engineer) knows. What they do is to be seen. To me it's one of 3 things.

The clutch, the trans (synchro) or maybe the crap ass shifter they installed. I have the MGW shifter sitting on my workbench and if I ever

get may car back it will be installed as well. My worry is what if this grind happens again. Guess I will use the Florida lemon law and say

bye bye to the not so top of the line Shelby GT500. I recommend anyone with this issue tell Ford so they do something. I mean tell Ford

via the emails to the upper leaders that will actually get that info somewhere. They did respond to my emails via calling me. Don't expect

an email reply but they will help you. If you don't tell them they will never know. Just be specific and not using foul language etc.

In layman's terms isnt the Lemon Law suppose to kick in if they cant fix the problem more then 3 time in 1 year. So maybe I should take it in now, and then in a few more months and then again when the new 2012 comes out. I honestly cant see Ford fixing this problem and I bet if we all stick to our guns and don't mod out our grinding 2010-2011's then we all might get new 2012's soon.

My 2010 has close to 5000 Miles. I had the grind in 2nd on a few occasions. I read a post here that said to make sure the clutch pedal was fully depressed then pull the shift ball over toward your right hip and not straight back. It was a great post and it eliminated my 2nd gear grind. Don't pull the shifter straight back pull pull it on an angle toward your right hip. Try it and post up after you do. Also make sure the clutch is all the wat to the floor before pulling the shifter.

Exactly this. Fixed my issue as well.

4200 miles and haven't had it happen in 2k miles.

Not saying the problem doesn't exist for others though, or that damage done isn't damage done, just glad my problem disappeared.

In layman's terms isnt the Lemon Law suppose to kick in if they cant fix the problem more then 3 time in 1 year. So maybe I should take it in now, and then in a few more months and then again when the new 2012 comes out. I honestly cant see Ford fixing this problem and I bet if we all stick to our guns and don't mod out our grinding 2010-2011's then we all might get new 2012's soon.

Hey BigDan, going to be posting the next excellent Rendevous in the Pines?

It's funny you said that i did replace my 2010 Fusion with a 2010 Honda Accord coupe with the V6. Great so far and fun as a daily driver. 5 years ago this would never have happened. I also replaced my 08 Shelby GT500KR ( toy ) with a 66 Corvette total body off matching #'s 427/ 425 hp solid lifter coupe with sidepipes.I did buy the KR used so did not loss much, but dreaded the flywheel problem and cost down the road.This falling out with Ford didn't happen over night , It started with my Ford GT when i was treated like i owned a pinto. From there service just went down hill on all my cars and there were many . You can write Ford all day long but they don't care. Get it on the dealers lot and be done with it . Train your area reps to say nice things but give them no power to help .

One email to the CEO of Ford got me a personal reply by phone as well as several followup calls and emails to ensure my problem was resolved.

Odd you had problems with your 2010 Fusion, my wife has been loving hers, much moreso than her 2007 Fusion.

Cars are bound to haven problems no matter who makes them, there are thousands of parts and the chances of all of them functioning perfectly is going to be rare. Every isuse I've had on every Ford I've owned under warranty has been taken care of with no difficulty. There are always going to be exceptions I'm sure.

I'm waiting to get my GoPro camera or talk by buddy to letting me borrow his, next weekend

http://www.goprocamera.com/

That first one you posted a couple months ago was so cool! The SC whine as it spools up was just wacko. Hope you can tone down the wind blast a tad like you mentioned.

I think the problem is that we all think of these cars as something Ford would want to make us all super satisfied with, when in reality, these are just cars like all the rest they sell.

Sony doesn't care more about their XBR customers than the others.

Sure the Gt500 plays to an enthusiast market, but in the high volume they live in, there is a system in place to address customer issues. Sure we think ours are most important, but they probably have Models that sell in massively higher numbers with much bigger issues than grinding gears. Sure grinding gears suck to us, but to them they have squeekier gears that need grease.

Actually they do. Sony gave me a full refund on my 46XBR4. Ford told me to go fly and kite and offered me an extended warranty on the next car I bought.

Actually they do. Sony gave me a full refund on my 46XBR4. Ford told me to go fly and kite and offered me an extended warranty on the next car I bought.

Sony cares about all their customers more than Ford. I, too, have been the recipient of a very favorable compensation package from Sony for a bad TV.

Ford extended the warranty of my front suspension for a noise they can't solve. I retaliated by buying my wife a Lexus instead of a Lincoln.

One email to the CEO of Ford got me a personal reply by phone as well as several followup calls and emails to ensure my problem was resolved.

Odd you had problems with your 2010 Fusion, my wife has been loving hers, much moreso than her 2007 Fusion.

Cars are bound to haven problems no matter who makes them, there are thousands of parts and the chances of all of them functioning perfectly is going to be rare. Every isuse I've had on every Ford I've owned under warranty has been taken care of with no difficulty. There are always going to be exceptions I'm sure.

You have good luck. I was a buy American only person until they all treated me like Crap. A Ford service adviser even told my to buy a Toyota when I was on my third return trip for out of warranty repairs on a under 100k mile SVT Contour. So I did.... Other than my weekend toy Mustangs, which I have a sick attraction to, all my other cars have been Lexus an Acura.

I feel bad about not buying American, but they didn't want my business anymore. In the 8 years since then, Lexus and Acura have sold me 3 suv's and 2 sedans.

The one American car I try, a $50k Mustang, has a noisy suspension, and Ford won't dispatch a qualified enough individual to figure it out. I instead got an extended warranty.

For the record, I have put over 100k on one of the Lexus and one Acura and never paid for a single out of warranty repair and was given a loaner every time, I take the Gt500 in and I have to rent a car or get someone to take me and pick me up, That is a major fail in my book.

My 2010 has close to 5000 Miles. I had the grind in 2nd on a few occasions. I read a post here that said to make sure the clutch pedal was fully depressed then pull the shift ball over toward your right hip and not straight back. It was a great post and it eliminated my 2nd gear grind. Don't pull the shifter straight back pull pull it on an angle toward your right hip. Try it and post up after you do. Also make sure the clutch is all the wat to the floor before pulling the shifter.

Exactly this. Fixed my issue as well.

4200 miles and haven't had it happen in 2k miles.

Not saying the problem doesn't exist for others though, or that damage done isn't damage done, just glad my problem disappeared.

OK, been thinking about this and, in my mind, how the tranny shifts. Basically what is being said doesn't make sense. If you have to pull like this then something is out of alignment i.e. the shifter vs. the gates in the tranny.

Anybody out there know exactly how these fit together? Could there be adjustments to align them properly? I remember, in the good ol' days, when the linkage could be adjusted...

It's this or there are internal faults/manufacturer defects because it only happens in 2nd. If it were the cluch system, you would have the problem with other gears as well.

I believe Ford is sidestepping this because It could become quite costly for Ford to fix. The issue has been brought up for a while now. Even those that have severe enough of a grind are receiving difficulties with repair.

It just doesn't add up...

The car is finally done and was delivered cleaner than the day I bought it. No gear grind and smooth as silk so far. I still do not like the factory shifter and it will be gone by tomorrow and an MGW installed. Good luck to all you others with grind issues and getting them done.

BELOW ARE THE PARTS THAT WERE REPLACED

-7R3Z 7124A SYNCHRO -SPROCKET

-AR3Z 7102A GEAR MAIN SHAFT

-AR3Z 7100AB GEAR MAIN SHAFT

-7R3Z 7107A RING 1ST SPROCKET

-7R3Z 7A082A KIT TRANS CO0SPROCKET

-7R3Z 7124A SYNCHRO ASSY

-7R3Z 7107A RING-TR 1ST SYNCHRO

-7R3Z 7A082A KIT TRANS CONTROL

-AR3Z 7100AB GEAR MAIN SHAFT 1ST

-AR3Z 7102A GEAR MAIN SHAFT 2ND

The car is finally done and was delivered cleaner than the day I bought it. No gear grind and smooth as silk so far. I still do not like the factory shifter and it will be gone by tomorrow and an MGW installed. Good luck to all you others with grind issues and getting them done.

-7R3Z 7124A SYNCHRO ASSY

Excellent do u mind telling us the dealer ? What year Gt500 ?

You have good luck. I was a buy American only person until they all treated me like Crap. A Ford service adviser even told my to buy a Toyota when I was on my third return trip for out of warranty repairs on a under 100k mile SVT Contour. So I did.... Other than my weekend toy Mustangs, which I have a sick attraction to, all my other cars have been Lexus an Acura.

I feel bad about not buying American, but they didn't want my business anymore. In the 8 years since then, Lexus and Acura have sold me 3 suv's and 2 sedans.

The one American car I try, a $50k Mustang, has a noisy suspension, and Ford won't dispatch a qualified enough individual to figure it out. I instead got an extended warranty.

For the record, I have put over 100k on one of the Lexus and one Acura and never paid for a single out of warranty repair and was given a loaner every time, I take the Gt500 in and I have to rent a car or get someone to take me and pick me up, That is a major fail in my book.

His experience was nothing like mine. They went out of their way to try to pin the problem on me when I contacted the execs. Even though I had independent analysis that said the part was defective. You would have thought I had a blown engine or something. Everyone had different experiences no matter what the product is.

-7R3Z 7124A SYNCHRO ASSY

Can you hold off for at least a week on the MGW. I'm just curious if it does the grind after a little use. Putting the MGW in there negates the work that was done.

Congratulations on getting yours fixed.

Can you also check the shifting "cold"- as in fairly soon after starting to drive it? Apparently it's less noticeable the hotter the tranny.

Congratulations on getting yours fixed.

Can you also check the shifting "cold"- as in fairly soon after starting to drive it? Apparently it's less noticeable the hotter the tranny.

Wing - I know some posters have said that the grind doesn't happen after the cars warm up, but mine will do it no matter how warmed up it is.

What I can't figure out is why Ford keeps sending engineers out to look at the grinders, when they apparently have already fixed some successfully. My dealer told me today (after I called them because my car has been there for four days and they haven't given me any update on what they're doing) that an engineer from Ford came and drove my car yesterday and they're going to come up with a plan tomorrow sometime. A plan??? It's like they're reinventing the solution on every car.

Wing - I know some posters have said that the grind doesn't happen after the cars warm up, but mine will do it no matter how warmed up it is.

What I can't figure out is why Ford keeps sending engineers out to look at the grinders, when they apparently have already fixed some successfully. My dealer told me today (after I called them because my car has been there for four days and they haven't given me any update on what they're doing) that an engineer from Ford came and drove my car yesterday and they're going to come up with a plan tomorrow sometime. A plan??? It's like they're reinventing the solution on every car.

...and yeah some are repaired and starting to get back on the road- very confusing for us civilians.

So I got my 500 miles of mixed driving out of the way on my new OEM clutch. I did three WOT runs and I got rejected going into second. I'm sure that's not good for my clutch either since it's not engaging all the way. Nice job Ford!!! Needless to say this is going back to the dealer after I get home from Cruisin weekend in Ocean City, MD.

bpmurr,

I don't believe the clutch is the problem. Have you had any problems with any other gear? I seriously believe there is a manufacturers defect in the tranny itself. Of all the gears, the 1-2 shift would be the most importand for these cars. Ford/Tremec needs to have a SERIOUS looksee...

bpmurr,

I don't believe the clutch is the problem. Have you had any problems with any other gear? I seriously believe there is a manufacturers defect in the tranny itself. Of all the gears, the 1-2 shift would be the most importand for these cars. Ford/Tremec needs to have a SERIOUS looksee...

I could do the 1-2 with the McLeod no problem. I could go through all the gears fine. However, I didn't do it many times as I was concerned about other issues with the McLeod. One thing I can think is that the McLeod had a slightly heavier feel so it could have changed my pedal release speed.

and you NEVER had that 1-2 problem with your noisy McLeod? or your original clutch?

Let me know when someone can make a clutch that we can thrash on and shift like I can in my Mom's 93 Nissan Pulsar.

My original OEM unit had the same problem as I do with the new OEM unit. I'm sure this 1-2 issue didn't help with my clutch wear the first go around and I don't plan on doing any more WOT driving unit this is resolved. Buying clutches is getting very expensive.

I could do the 1-2 with the McLeod no problem. I could go through all the gears fine. However, I didn't do it many times as I was concerned about other issues with the McLeod. One thing I can think is that the McLeod had a slightly heavier feel so it could have changed my pedal release speed.

So what is the difference? The McLeod friction disk releases sooner? Is the Pressure plate lighter? The owners manual states to have the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. Still, the way I see it is the tranny is having problems with handling the stress or, now that I'm thinking more, the master cylinder, clutch fork and throw out bearing needs to move more and faster if it can.

So what is the difference? The McLeod friction disk releases sooner? Is the Pressure plate lighter? The owners manual states to have the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. Still, the way I see it is the tranny is having problems with handling the stress or, now that I'm thinking more, the master cylinder, clutch fork and throw out bearing needs to move more and faster if it can.

I have no idea what makes the difference between both clutches. I'm guessing like anyone else.

Hey, me too on 1st to 2nd when getting on it. I sorta thought it was me being out of practice a little with the standard, but it wasn't. Happened the second time. Won't happen a third. Pull that sucker towards you and stick it it there! No straight down shifting unless you are just cruising. Pulling back at an angle towards you resolves this problem. Or at least it did for me. She just wants a firm hand once in a while, from what I can tell.

Hey, me too on 1st to 2nd when getting on it. I sorta thought it was me being out of practice a little with the standard, but it wasn't. Happened the second time. Won't happen a third. Pull that sucker towards you and stick it it there! No straight down shifting unless you are just cruising. Pulling back at an angle towards you resolves this problem. Or at least it did for me. She just wants a firm hand once in a while, from what I can tell.

+1, the throw into the 2nd gear gate isn't perfect (obviously). You must adjust your driving style or you won't hit second consistently at WOT. It's different for those who Can't get it into gear, get rejected once in gear or those with consistent grinding going into gear while the clutch is fully depressed (a tsb is needed for these issues or warranty should take care of it if you know how to sell yourself / the issue).

I have said this numerous times in posts already, but here it is one more time. If you miss second or get rejected sometimes you Must: Adjust your seat upright, depress the clutch fully, pull the stick toward your belly button / ribs fairly hard (c'mon put your big boy pants on), not straight back like it feels you should. When I'm not paying full attention or I'm cruising with the seat back I can be rejected or grind at WOT going into 2nd. With the proper adjustments I hit 2nd just about evertime (everyone misses 2nd on occasion at WOT, even the pros, it's not that bid of a deal).

The reason your other aftermarket clutch allowed this 1-2 shift smoother for you vs the OEM is probably because of the engagement point, which is different from one clutch assembly to another.

+1, the throw into the 2nd gear gate isn't perfect (obviously). You must adjust your driving style or you won't hit second consistently at WOT. It's different for those who Can't get it into gear, get rejected once in gear or those with consistent grinding going into gear while the clutch is fully depressed (a tsb is needed for these issues or warranty should take care of it if you know how to sell yourself / the issue).

I have said this numerous times in posts already, but here it is one more time. If you miss second or get rejected sometimes you Must: Adjust your seat upright, depress the clutch fully, pull the stick toward your belly button / ribs fairly hard (c'mon put your big boy pants on), not straight back like it feels you should. When I'm not paying full attention or I'm cruising with the seat back I can be rejected or grind at WOT going into 2nd. With the proper adjustments I hit 2nd just about evertime (everyone misses 2nd on occasion at WOT, even the pros, it's not that bid of a deal).

The reason your other aftermarket clutch allowed this 1-2 shift smoother for you vs the OEM is probably because of the engagement point, which is different from one clutch assembly to another.

I wonder if all this indicates a shifter problem (that causes the internal trans problem) as discussed earlier. Does anyone with the MGW shifter still have grinding?

Archived