TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1-2 shift

Wilson

Seems to me that this is NOT a design fault or "feature" of this new transmission, or else ALL of them would have the issue if they were built the same.

It's more likely that a random fault is showing up like (faulty internal parts, torque spec, human error, etc...)

My 2010 SHELBY has had the problem since day 1 and was born in (NOV 2009).

Here are a few carefully documented and studied observations ---> After the 1st few times it happened, I started taking careful notes.

It grinds when shifting between 1-2 gear at high RPMs

When it grinds, it USUALLY does NOT go into gear until the engine speed slows down regardless of clutch position.

It does (sometimes) grind below a 5K shift (very rare but it has happened a couple of times)

At first....It appears to be happening less frequent (problem going away), but I noticed that I was working around the problem and leaving the clutch engaged longer than normal and letting my foot off the gas until engine speed has slowed significantly.

The grind ONLY happens between 1-2

Sometimes the shift from 4-5 is very difficult at higher than average speeds (is it just me or is anyone else seeing this?)

It's very clear that it's NOT a "feature" of this new transmission, or else ALL of them would have the issue, not just a few. some people can intentionally abuse their transmission and shift at 6000 and NEVER see this problem. If it were a (flawed design), then they would ALL have the problem if they were all built the same. It's apparent that it is something else that shows up randomly and the only way to fix it is to have SVT engineers inspect 10 or more cars that are reporting the issue. Ford needs to offer the team that finds the cause of the problem 2 weeks in Hawaii.

My car is still awesome, even with this new (redline shift feature) :)

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just took my 2010 in to the dealer he said he drove it for 30 mins and could not get it togrind ,he looked on fords side of the web site and did not find any word.I grind 1st to 2nd at 6k not all the time butim going to install a new shifter and them tork arms things that hook up to the trans.Hope it works I love this car wish the blower was alot louder though.Kona blue silver stripes, pypes muffler deletes, ford racing resonator delete.

Just took my 2010 in to the dealer he said he drove it for 30 mins and could not get it togrind ,he looked on fords side of the web site and did not find any word.I grind 1st to 2nd at 6k not all the time butim going to install a new shifter and them tork arms things that hook up to the trans.Hope it works I love this car wish the blower was alot louder though.Kona blue silver stripes, pypes muffler deletes, ford racing resonator delete.

I would go back there and have the service manager ride with You while you replicate the grinding. This way you both can agree and you can have control over driving your car at WOT vs a tech.

Ford got back to me today regarding my 1-2 shift issue. I took the tranny tech at my dealer for a ride on Friday. The dealer called on Monday to Ford and described my problem and also pointed them to all of the websites that have posts about this issue.

Ford would like to pull my transmission inspect it and replace everything that has anything to do with the car shifting into second gear including the shift forks. I asked if I could wait until summer was over here in Michigan but before the salt and snow flies. So I’ll be taking mine in late October. The Ford engineer said in the mean time if they come up with any other solutions he would call my dealer with an update.

Take your cars in, the more that go in the closer we are to a fix.

Ford got back to me today regarding my 1-2 shift issue. I took the tranny tech at my dealer for a ride on Friday. The dealer called on Monday to Ford and described my problem and also pointed them to all of the websites that have posts about this issue.

Ford would like to pull my transmission inspect it and replace everything that has anything to do with the car shifting into second gear including the shift forks. I asked if I could wait until summer was over here in Michigan but before the salt and snow flies. So I’ll be taking mine in late October. The Ford engineer said in the mean time if they come up with any other solutions he would call my dealer with an update.

Take your cars in, the more that go in the closer we are to a fix.

Great Matt !

What dealer did you take it to ? It would be nice for everyone list the names of the dealers that have agreed to work on the issue so we can walk in with information in-hand. (no need to mention the service managers name)

Thanks

Great Matt !

What dealer did you take it to ? It would be nice for everyone list the names of the dealers that have agreed to work on the issue so we can walk in with information in-hand. (no need to mention the service managers name)

Thanks

Rick Ford in Hemlock Mi. They have two to fix.

The transmission tech at my dealer advised me to come and pick up my car after two days. He had talked with multiple Ford engineers. At their specific direction, he took and reported various clutch play measurements. They're going to send him "parts" to change, but he wasn't sure exactly what they were sending. They apparently were thinking clutch, despite his feeling of synchros. We'll see what they ship.

It seems like they have no real clue on how to solve this issue. When I asked the tech if it seemed they knew how to solve it, he kind of laughed a little. They did not want him to take it apart until they sent him "the parts." He seems to find the entire approach to this repair peculiar.

They're supposed to call me.

I was going to take the service mgr for a ride but it was getting ready to rain,so I just took it home .I did talk to a guy at 5.0 restro he told me that he knows 4 guys with shift problems,they are 10s and 11s said all 4 had loose pressure plate bolts. Im putting mine up on my hoist to look and hope thats the problem.According to this guy there is a cover or plug you can take off to see.I will let yall know.

Well there does not seem to be a hole i could use to get a wrench on ,maybe ill get time this weekend pull the trans to see should only take bout 1 hour to get out.I do know that shifter looks cheap and flimsy WTF 50k and you get a wet dish rag to stir gears and to top that wheels made in taiwan...... I think I just threw up a little...

Well there does not seem to be a hole i could use to get a wrench on ,maybe ill get time this weekend pull the trans to see should only take bout 1 hour to get out.I do know that shifter looks cheap and flimsy WTF 50k and you get a wet dish rag to stir gears and to top that wheels made in taiwan...... I think I just threw up a little...

If this fixed the problem I'll shoot myself ! Keep us updated !

I'm having the hard/grind shift issue also. Had the problem since day one.

I have a 2011, no mods, no track use, no hard driving.

I've spoken to a few Ford Service Techs in my area, they told me it sounded like the synchros. They said to just keep driving it and it should slowly and surely get better.

It's definitely not getting better at all.

I Called the Dealership I purchased the vehicle from (Airport Marina Ford in Los Angeles), and spoke with the Service Manager.

I set up an appointment with him to bring the car in on Tuesday (9/7) to get the issue looked at.

The Dealership was very helpful and professional when I purchased the vehicle.

Now I guess we will see how well they stand behind their product.

I'll be sure to direct them to this thread.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Joel.

My 2010 GT500 didn't have any shifting problems when new but after a few hundred miles the 1-2 shift grind started and has only gotten worse. 1800 miles now. I gave up trying to power shift the car. It seems to me that if it is a clutch problem that we are all experiencing, it would happen during shifts in all gears, not only 1-2. Leads me to believe that it is a transmission problem. I contacted Tremec and they recommend using Mobil 1 full synthetic ATF and no other fluid. They specifically said not to use Red Line or Royal Purple. I haven't changed the fluid yet. What fluid does Ford put in our trans?

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I have officially ground the hell out of 2nd. I was following a slower car, 10 mph in a 30 zone, going up about a 3 degree hill on coarse but clean asphalt. When it finally pulled off, I put the pedal down. Weight transfer didn't even allow the wheels to spin as I quickly moved close to red line. I shifted around 5800 and quess what? Pissed me off. The torque was deffinately high. The front felt like it was coming off the ground. It was a nice ride until I hit tried to go to second. My little '04 Aveo does better than this!!

OK, I have officially ground the hell out of 2nd. It was a nice ride until I hit tried to go to second. My little '04 Aveo does better than this!!

Sad aint it. I wish someone had a direct line to SVT Chief Engineer Jamal Hameedi and tell him how upset we are and how its effecting his sales since its all over Google search and he needs to fix the problem on their top model.

Its even more sad that bankrupt GM was able to fix the problem for vette owners but leave us SVT owner's with this crap 1-2 issue.

Sad aint it. I wish someone had a direct line to SVT Chief Engineer Jamal Hameedi and tell him how upset we are and how its effecting his sales since its all over Google search and he needs to fix the problem on their top model.

Its even more sad that bankrupt GM was able to fix the problem for vette owners but leave us SVT owner's with this crap 1-2 issue.

I tried to email him once about my 08 front end sounding like a 20 year old pick up with bad ball joints, and he never responded. I think all that motivates them is the cost of warranty repairs on some ledger sheet. They don't find fixes for our cars because they care. They find fixes to stop the warranty process costs...

My 2010 has close to 5000 Miles. I had the grind in 2nd on a few occasions. I read a post here that said to make sure the clutch pedal was fully depressed then pull the shift ball over toward your right hip and not straight back. It was a great post and it eliminated my 2nd gear grind. Don't pull the shifter straight back pull pull it on an angle toward your right hip. Try it and post up after you do. Also make sure the clutch is all the wat to the floor before pulling the shifter.

My 2010 has close to 5000 Miles. I had the grind in 2nd on a few occasions. I read a post here that said to make sure the clutch pedal was fully depressed then pull the shift ball over toward your right hip and not straight back. It was a great post and it eliminated my 2nd gear grind. Don't pull the shifter straight back pull pull it on an angle toward your right hip. Try it and post up after you do. Also make sure the clutch is all the wat to the floor before pulling the shifter.

I'll do just that. I also hve a '10, since 3 July '09. I now have 4200 miles. I'd think it would be broke-in by now, hope it doesn't get worse with more...

Better read my post at the below link in the GT500 mod section. That grind will not go away and is an internal trans issue. My synchros etc are all being replaced and parts are on back order for a month or more depending on the part. I need a main shaft, synchro, blocking rings etc. There is an issue and Ford is not addressing it.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60534-2010gt500-is-on-the-operating-table/

I tried to email him once about my 08 front end sounding like a 20 year old pick up with bad ball joints, and he never responded. I think all that motivates them is the cost of warranty repairs on some ledger sheet. They don't find fixes for our cars because they care. They find fixes to stop the warranty process costs...

If you all want contact info for the different department heads just PM me.

Below are the executive office contacts at Ford in Michigan. I emailed them and got quick

response. They are now looking at why the parts are taking too long to obtain, why the dealers

are not doing more to get the parts such as asking Ford for help and an Engineer was informed

there is a 2nd gear grind issue that he never heard of, at least that what he said. He is supposed

to look in to it. If your car is in for this repair you need to email these people and get some fires

lit or your car will be gone for a month or more waiting parts. I hope the parts fix the problem, but

I'm not convinced about that. Start contacting Ford and maybe they will do something about this

problem. The direct line to one contact that called me is 313-845-6232. They will want your Vin.

Mulally, Alan amulally@ford.com

Czubay, Kenneth (M.) <kczubay@ford.com>

"Berardi, Michael (M.A.)" <mberardi@ford.com>,

"Fetters, Rich (R.J.)" <rfetters@ford.com>,

"Toney, Frederiek (F.)" <ftoney@ford.com>,

"Allison, Jamie (J.J.)" <jalliso1@ford.com>

^ I cant imagine one of those guys opening even1 of our email's or even understanding what the problem really is and what a GT500 is. There probably a certain tag employees use so they know its not one of their millions of customer emailing them about a problem. From all the youtube video's ive seen it seems like Jamal Hameedi is the only guy at for SVT more specifically that actually has his fingers in the car and seems to somewhat care about improving performance and makes things happen.

Is there a way to talk to Jamal on his office phone since it seems NOBODY over at Ford know's about the problem based on the info we have so far. I feel like a good 5 minute phone call to the right person could fix this whole problem.

bpmurr if you have Jamal's phone number or email could you please PM me it since he is the only guy im going to attempt to contact.

Ford takes those surveys very seriously. problem is they send you a survey a few days after you bought the car while everyone is still happy. Have to remember a larger dealer will sell a lot more normal cars than Shelbys, I'm sure most dealers dread working on these things to begin with because the owners are lot more picky overall than someone who buys a Taurus. I wont take my car to dealer unless its a serious issue or high dollar parts are involved, 9 times out of 10 they make the problems worse unless its a recall or TSB item.

Not so the 2010 Fusion automatic has all kinds of problems , with a very large owner discontent . Ford seems to be having problems with several trans makers. The more i read the more i am convinced Ford customer service is a JOKE. I sold ALL my Ford products and will buy no more.

Not so the 2010 Fusion automatic has all kinds of problems , with a very large owner discontent . Ford seems to be having problems with several trans makers. The more i read the more i am convinced Ford customer service is a JOKE. I sold ALL my Ford products and will buy no more.

GM is no better and who knows what Chrysler is going to do. I guess we should all buy Honda Civics.

GM is no better and who knows what Chrysler is going to do. I guess we should all buy Honda Civics.

It's funny you said that i did replace my 2010 Fusion with a 2010 Honda Accord coupe with the V6. Great so far and fun as a daily driver. 5 years ago this would never have happened. I also replaced my 08 Shelby GT500KR ( toy ) with a 66 Corvette total body off matching #'s 427/ 425 hp solid lifter coupe with sidepipes.I did buy the KR used so did not loss much, but dreaded the flywheel problem and cost down the road.This falling out with Ford didn't happen over night , It started with my Ford GT when i was treated like i owned a pinto. From there service just went down hill on all my cars and there were many . You can write Ford all day long but they don't care. Get it on the dealers lot and be done with it . Train your area reps to say nice things but give them no power to help .

Archived