TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1-2 shift

Wilson

Does anyone have a guess as to why pulling the shifter toward your hip rather than straight back seems to alleviate grinding on 1-2 shift? Maybe it has something to do with the engine torque twisting the eng-trans assy ?

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the trans rebuilt and installed the MGW and no more grind. I think part of the problem is that crap shifter Ford installs, no sure if there is also a trans issue as well but the shifter does you no favors.

However, you said even with the stock shifter after the rebuild it stopped grinding. That makes it hard to say the MGW would get rid of it.

Does anyone have a guess as to why pulling the shifter toward your hip rather than straight back seems to alleviate grinding on 1-2 shift? Maybe it has something to do with the engine torque twisting the eng-trans assy ?

Somebody, anybody want to try to answer this? My question all along, also.

The manual states to depress the clutch to the floor when shifting. I believe Ford knows, knew this, because it is in the manual. With all the 1-2 shift issues out there, something is off. Some have it and some don't, there are inconsistencies.

Here is a picture of the mgw. How will this fix the problem when linkage does the shifting. I don't see how pulling to the hip will alieviate the issues. I belive the hip pull is pshycological to make you aware of the shift but doesn't fix it for everyone.

Please be respectful, Just because you may not have the issue, others do. And It doesn't mean you never will...

post-8230-038393600 1287246055_thumb.jpg

post-8230-038393600 1287246055_thumb.jpg

I just looked at the MGW picture again. I looks like the shifter "anchor points" look like linkage. I don't know for sure. However, the does look it goes right into the tranny, so back to a previous post of mine, are the shifting gates off or are the syncros up to the task of shifting under WOT?

However, you said even with the stock shifter after the rebuild it stopped grinding. That makes it hard to saw that the MGW would get rid of it.

That's not exactly what I said or meant. I was very cautious shifting with the stock shifter because it was sloppy and even the mechanic said it was sloppy. No it did not grind because I did not even attempt spirited driving. Well since the new shifter I have ran it from here and back up and down and no issues. No way would I have attempted that with the stock shifter, at least the one that was in my car. MGW, Hurst, Steeda what ever your flavor the stock shifter is crap compared to them.

As I previously reported, after I brought my car into service twice to have them address the 1-2 grind issue, my dealer attempted to solve the defect by installing a new clutch (bearing a part # that's not listed in Ford's parts system), per specific instructions from Ford/SVT engineers. The new clutch did nothing to resolve the defect, but the work performed caused a new driveline vibration, rearend noise and some scratches to the console.

I brought my 2011 back to the dealer on October 4th. Apparently some Ford engineers came and drove the car, and confirmed it suffers from the defect (interestingly, my dealer and the engineers are calling it "a concern" as opposed to a defect). It doesn't matter who drives it, or how they shift it, it will grind going in to second during a quick shift.

The service manager called me on Wednesday, October 13th, to tell me my car was "complete at this time" and that they've "addressed all of my concerns" and I could pick up my car. He told me that Ford confirmed that my car has the issue, but Ford does not have a fix at this time. He further said Ford might have a fix for it some time "next quarter."

I have refused to pick up the car. The service manager called me again on Friday, October 15th, to tell me that the dealer doesn't want to be responsible for the car, and I needed to come and get it. I told him I was not going to get it until it's done. If Ford doesn't know how to fix it, than they can buy it. He gave me an 800 number to call Ford Customer Service. I called immediately, and someone is supposed to get back to me by this Tuesday.

I really like my car, but I'm frustrated.

As I previously reported, after I brought my car into service twice to have them address the 1-2 grind issue, my dealer attempted to solve the defect by installing a new clutch (bearing a part # that's not listed in Ford's parts system), per specific instructions from Ford/SVT engineers. The new clutch did nothing to resolve the defect, but the work performed caused a new driveline vibration, rearend noise and some scratches to the console.

I brought my 2011 back to the dealer on October 4th. Apparently some Ford engineers came and drove the car, and confirmed it suffers from the defect (interestingly, my dealer and the engineers are calling it "a concern" as opposed to a defect). It doesn't matter who drives it, or how they shift it, it will grind going in to second during a quick shift.

The service manager called me on Wednesday, October 13th, to tell me my car was "complete at this time" and that they've "addressed all of my concerns" and I could pick up my car. He told me that Ford confirmed that my car has the issue, but Ford does not have a fix at this time. He further said Ford might have a fix for it some time "next quarter."

I have refused to pick up the car. The service manager called me again on Friday, October 15th, to tell me that the dealer doesn't want to be responsible for the car, and I needed to come and get it. I told him I was not going to get it until it's done. If Ford doesn't know how to fix it, than they can buy it. He gave me an 800 number to call Ford Customer Service. I called immediately, and someone is supposed to get back to me by this Tuesday.

Good for you L8 ! This is absolutely ridiculous !

Ask for Lynn Buckman up there at Ford. I have post in the Tech section about 2nd gear grind and show what all was replaced in my transmission. I also installed an MGW shifter when it was done. The 2nd gear synchro assy will need to be replaced.

Radical - I gave the Tech a printed copy of your post as well as that of another guy who had essentially the same parts replaced. Ford is either not convinced that replacing the second gear parts is the solution, or they're looking for a less expensive fix. I have learned that Ford is quite aware of the problem, and knows the issue is present in a lot of new GT500s.

I'm interested in seeing if the 2012 transmission ratios are a lot closer between 1st and 2nd gear.

Radical - I gave the Tech a printed copy of your post as well as that of another guy who had essentially the same parts replaced. Ford is either not convinced that replacing the second gear parts is the solution, or they're looking for a less expensive fix. I have learned that Ford is quite aware of the problem, and knows the issue is present in a lot of new GT500s.

I'm interested in seeing if the 2012 transmission ratios are a lot closer between 1st and 2nd gear.

L82ford, Just curious, how did you hear about Ford knowing about this and that they are actually looking into it? You don't have to give up your sources, just looking for confirmation before I take my '10 in to be registered as a needed fix. Until now, Ford wasn't admitting much.

L82ford, Just curious, how did you hear about Ford knowing about this and that they are actually looking into it? You don't have to give up your sources, just looking for confirmation before I take my '10 in to be registered as a needed fix. Until now, Ford wasn't admitting much.

Lynn Buckman works in the executive offices. She does talk with the dealers. I sent loads of info to Ford executives and had them forward it the the fab 4 developers of the GT500 Jamal as well. They know there is an issue but they just don't know exactly what it is. My 2c is it's either the transmission or the shifter that starts the transmission failure. Once the transmission have been rebuilt by hand so to speak and shifters were replaced no more problem so far. There are a couple others in here that had the same work done I did and no problem now. The basic 1-800 number probably won't do well for you but Lynn will at least she did for me. It helps to have a good, big dealer you are working with also. Small time places will be shut out a bit I would guess.

I tempted to add the shifter to mine now. I only have 200 miles on car and have been very careful with 2nd so far. How hard of a mod is that on a 10-11? Does the trans have to be tilted down? Dont want to get of subject too far here though.

I tempted to add the shifter to mine now. I only have 200 miles on car and have been very careful with 2nd so far. How hard of a mod is that on a 10-11? Does the trans have to be tilted down? Dont want to get of subject too far here though.

There is also vid of instln

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2011-mustangs/270412-mgw-shifter-installation-with-pics-and-videos.html

• 3 weeks later...

Finally experienced my first 1-2 shift grind.

This occured under hard acceleration (+/- 6000 RPM) on a section of road with an uneven surface.

It felt like the drivetrain 'bound up' after some wheel hop.

My 2010 Vert has about 2500 miles on it.

Am dissatsified with the factory shifter linkage and plan to remedy this with a MGW shifter install.

The stock shifter seems to have excessive throw, plus I have noticed that it sometimes takes

a second try to totally engage the trans into the reverse position, where I feel a slight bit of slop

either in the linkage or synchro.

Total BS. Can't get into second past 4500 rpm's. Got beat by a school bus yesterday! FORD MOTOR COMPANY and SVT get off your ass and find a fix and I don't want a flunky mechanic scattering my tranny all over his shop! Those pics that were posted tell the story. Looks like the clutch wasn't even used and we all know that was not the case! Everybody driving these cars the way they were intended to be driven are having the same issue! The only ones that are not having this issue are your " I don't go fast " people. These cars were supposed " designed ? " to be driven hard and fast. In the whole scope of things Ford related, this would be a small recall!! Regards, denohew

I have experienced this phenomenon as well. I can't believe that no one at SVT can figure this out. I think they know they put a crap shifter in our car and are choosing not to do anything about it. I think SVT is assuming that anyone that does spirited driving with their GT500 will just go ahead and replace the shifter on their own dime. They are saying, "If you can spend $50-60K on a car, what's a few hundred for a decent shifter?" I say, "So you made a mistake.........FIX IT, regardless of what the issue is!"

Some are claiming others don't know how to drive. While there may be a couple that fit that profile, I highly doubt it's anywhere near as many as have raised the issue. I have owned numerous manual transmission vehicles, several Mustangs and a SVT Cobra and Lightning. This is not my first SVT and certainly not my first rodeo. I have shifted everything from motorcycles to 2 1/2 ton trucks. My '87 GT had over 130,000 miles with no rebuild, only a clutch. I beat my 5.0 like a step child and it never complained. My Cobra the same, and my Lightning was built like a brick **it house. It is utterly ridiculous that SVT would now build a product, that is supposed to be the "flagship" of the brand, that is of less than exceptional durability and quality. It's not like guys that have modded to 800 HP are complaining, this is stock.

I am very disappointed in SVT at this point. They brag about weight savings and larger exhaust, then put cast iron exhaust manifolds and a boat anchor drive shaft on it. They brag about how fast the GT500 is and put a crap shifter (IMO) on it that can't shift from first to second while wide open. Not to mention the stamped lower control arms and such. Of all things, you don't build a car like this and skimp on the drivetrain. Ford Racing has better parts sitting on the shelf for crying out loud!!!

I didn't buy a Fiesta, I bought a Shelby GT friggin' 500!!! How many Chrysler and GM guys, even import guys, are laughing at Ford SVT right now because they just wasted a GT500 in a race? Not because their car was actually faster, but because someone decided to save a few bucks and put a substandard shifter in a $55,000 car. You don't build a car like this for bean counters. You build it for pride and brand loyalty. I should be able to bang away all day long and my GT500 smile and say "Thank you sir, may I have another!" That's what SVT and Shelby have stood for in the past. That's what we paid for. Make it right.

OK I'm done with my :talkhand:

I have experienced this phenomenon as well. I can't believe that no one at SVT can figure this out. I think they know they put a crap shifter in our car and are choosing not to do anything about it. I think SVT is assuming that anyone that does spirited driving with their GT500 will just go ahead and replace the shifter on their own dime. They are saying, "If you can spend $50-60K on a car, what's a few hundred for a decent shifter?" I say, "So you made a mistake.........FIX IT, regardless of what the issue is!"

Some are claiming others don't know how to drive. While there may be a couple that fit that profile, I highly doubt it's anywhere near as many as have raised the issue. I have owned numerous manual transmission vehicles, several Mustangs and a SVT Cobra and Lightning. This is not my first SVT and certainly not my first rodeo. I have shifted everything from motorcycles to 2 1/2 ton trucks. My '87 GT had over 130,000 miles with no rebuild, only a clutch. I beat my 5.0 like a step child and it never complained. My Cobra the same, and my Lightning was built like a brick **it house. It is utterly ridiculous that SVT would now build a product, that is supposed to be the "flagship" of the brand, that is of less than exceptional durability and quality. It's not like guys that have modded to 800 HP are complaining, this is stock.

I am very disappointed in SVT at this point. They brag about weight savings and larger exhaust, then put cast iron exhaust manifolds and a boat anchor drive shaft on it. They brag about how fast the GT500 is and put a crap shifter (IMO) on it that can't shift from first to second while wide open. Not to mention the stamped lower control arms and such. Of all things, you don't build a car like this and skimp on the drivetrain. Ford Racing has better parts sitting on the shelf for crying out loud!!!

I didn't buy a Fiesta, I bought a Shelby GT friggin' 500!!! How many Chrysler and GM guys, even import guys, are laughing at Ford SVT right now because they just wasted a GT500 in a race? Not because their car was actually faster, but because someone decided to save a few bucks and put a substandard shifter in a $55,000 car. You don't build a car like this for bean counters. You build it for pride and brand loyalty. I should be able to bang away all day long and my GT500 smile and say "Thank you sir, may I have another!" That's what SVT and Shelby have stood for in the past. That's what we paid for. Make it right.

OK I'm done with my :talkhand:

I'm not convinced it's the shifter.

I still believe it has something to do with the scyncros not being able to handle the load or the dual clutch added too much rotational mass, release speed also, or a combination of both. The shifter is connected via linkage which means there are gates inside the tranny that controls how the tranny changes gears. The shifter, in this case, may give the operator a shorter throw or a better feel, because of the throw (physics). If you have ever played with a tranny out of a vehicle and shifted it, the shifts can be very notchy and deliberate. Has anybody tried this on these trannys while out of their car that can describe the motion and feel?

About the clutch, it is bigger round which means it's circumference is traveling faster that adds more inertia. There are 2 of these and a friction plate seperating them. This is alot of additional mass that equals inertia. If the syncros can't hold this amount of energy then yes, something is going to give. So far that has been the syncros...

Also, the so called shifting technique of pulling the shifter to your hip is decieving. It, psycologically, makes the operator more aware of the process. This will make the operator slow down just a bit, ensure the clutch is to the floor and thus allowing the tranny to make the shift.

On another thought, if there are any real tranny experts out there, could the shifting gates be out of alignment? If so, can they be adjusted.

All,

FYI I took my 2011 in today and spoke with the trans tech/went for a ride to show him the grinding issue. I showed him the list of parts that Vapor posted. He was well aware of the problem and said there is a TSB for this exact problem! He said the replacment parts are NEW and not the parts that came in the trany. I hope this fixes the problem but feel better about the fact that there is now a TSB and evidently a solution.

Dan

All,

FYI I took my 2011 in today and spoke with the trans tech/went for a ride to show him the grinding issue. I showed him the list of parts that Vapor posted. He was well aware of the problem and said there is a TSB for this exact problem! He said the replacment parts are NEW and not the parts that came in the trany. I hope this fixes the problem but feel better about the fact that there is now a TSB and evidently a solution.

Dan

That's great and just what I've been waiting for, Awesome.

You wouldn't happen to have that TSB number?

Great, guess my tranny will be spread out all over the shop while these "techs" in the small town that I live in figure it out. I going in tomorrow but I promise I will have to explain and explain to the service manager what the hell I am talking about!!!! We will see, regards, denohew

I'm not convinced it's the shifter.

I still believe it has something to do with the scyncros not being able to handle the load or the dual clutch added too much rotational mass, release speed also, or a combination of both. The shifter is connected via linkage which means there are gates inside the tranny that controls how the tranny changes gears. The shifter, in this case, may give the operator a shorter throw or a better feel, because of the throw (physics). If you have ever played with a tranny out of a vehicle and shifted it, the shifts can be very notchy and deliberate. Has anybody tried this on these trannys while out of their car that can describe the motion and feel?

About the clutch, it is bigger round which means it's circumference is traveling faster that adds more inertia. There are 2 of these and a friction plate seperating them. This is alot of additional mass that equals inertia. If the syncros can't hold this amount of energy then yes, something is going to give. So far that has been the syncros...

Also, the so called shifting technique of pulling the shifter to your hip is decieving. It, psycologically, makes the operator more aware of the process. This will make the operator slow down just a bit, ensure the clutch is to the floor and thus allowing the tranny to make the shift.

On another thought, if there are any real tranny experts out there, could the shifting gates be out of alignment? If so, can they be adjusted.

I hear you about the shifter. But based on my research/reading, it seems to be the only thing that has had good results. I have also read that there is a possibility of new carbon fiber synchros for 2nd. Maybe I have been reading the wrong stuff, I don't know. But, it doesn't matter to me what the problem is. We can speculate and contemplate from now on. I don't feel it's up to me, or us, to figure out what the problem is. That's why I bought a NEW car with a warranty. It doesn't matter if someone took their transmission into the dealer and said LOOK, HERE IT IS. It has to come from Ford. Don't get me wrong......I still love my GT500. But it's like finding out on your honeymoon that your perfect wife used to be a dude or something. Although, I can only speculate how that would be as well.

I have found that if I don't get too rambunctious, I can take my time and make the shift to 2nd at high RPM. The other gears I can bang 'em like I'm used to though. I don't know..........I just wish SVT would figure this out and fix my baby.

I hear you about the shifter. But based on my research/reading, it seems to be the only thing that has had good results. I have also read that there is a possibility of new carbon fiber synchros for 2nd. Maybe I have been reading the wrong stuff, I don't know. But, it doesn't matter to me what the problem is. We can speculate and contemplate from now on. I don't feel it's up to me, or us, to figure out what the problem is. That's why I bought a NEW car with a warranty. It doesn't matter if someone took their transmission into the dealer and said LOOK, HERE IT IS. It has to come from Ford. Don't get me wrong......I still love my GT500. But it's like finding out on your honeymoon that your perfect wife used to be a dude or something. Although, I can only speculate how that would be as well.

I have found that if I don't get too rambunctious, I can take my time and make the shift to 2nd at high RPM. The other gears I can bang 'em like I'm used to though. I don't know..........I just wish SVT would figure this out and fix my baby.

Hey man, you are right, we shouldn't have to do anything. However, it seems that we do have to prove and push our points to get positive results.

It has been said that Ford representatives read these posts and I believe they know that there are some unhappy customers that "NEED" to be taken care of. Also, instead of bashing the issues, as long as knowlegable and logical people poke in and have their two cents worth, Ford will know that they don't just deal with a bunch of jackazzes. This is where my rationalizations come from. I have done some motor work in the past, i.e. rebuild motors, and am just putting out there what I think is really goin on. So far, not a single person has come back and said I am wrong about this and I've posted my thoughts more than once here.

If it really is a shifter problem, then I believe Ford would have fixed this issue with a TSB on this by now. And Ford would be the one doing it, NOT the customer, instead of going into the tranny to do look sees and replace internal parts with out installing new shifters.

BTW, your analogy on the marrage issue is hilarious. Infact, it really happened here in SLC,UT a dozen years ago or so. :lol:

Just installed the MGW shifter today. Call me crazy but it's not grinding. I'm not ready to say this is the cure until I drive awhile but I tried the 1-2 shift probably 10 times with no grind. To be continued ....

You going to bill Ford for fixing it yourself?

Archived