TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Squeal

I have now experienced for the second time a squealing sound coming from the engine bay after running hard for 30 minutes or so.

I have not been able to isolate where it is coming from.

Anyone else experience this?

Any thoughts?

Yes the belts seem tight and I do not smell any unusual odors.

All the gauges seem to be consistant.

It is annoying and also troublesome as I can't figure what is going on.

Any thoughts here would be appreciated

Bill,

You know what happens when you get nice shiny new leather shoes and break them in, Squeak, squeak squeak...

Maybe your engine bay is so "Squeaky Clean" its just letting you know hahaha....

Sorry i couldnt add any more value to the discussion, I Hope its nothing major my friend.

After my car has been driven for a while it developes a squeak as well. I think mine is coming from the hood pins as the hood moves up and down ever so slightly. Not sure if your squeak is louder or not but I am going to try putting some grease on the pin to see if that solves the problem.

JW

Here are some observations and action being taken.

Back ground info:

There is a friend who lives about 1/2 mile from me who also has a Super Snake

About 2 weeks after he got his late last summer the Super Charger belt shredded.

He was sent a new belt

Now to me:

The noise I was hearing sounded like a belt squeal, but did not have a chance to investigate further until today.

I wash the car and started the engine. As I am watching it run (no squeal) I notice the belt on the Super Charger seemed to run inwards and the out ALONG THE FAR EDGE. Best way to describe it is as I watched it the belt covered all but 1 rib on the pulley and then jump to where only 8 ribs were covered.

I had never paid much attention to the extent it should be covering the ribs on the Super Charger pulley. When I stopped the engine the place where the broken edge was happened to be right on the top and easy to see.

Well I have a lift in my garage and after I raise the car and start to clean the underside I see something like a loose wire. When I pulled it a piece of belt came out in my hand. Sure enough it is a piece of Super Charger belt. It was about 1/8 inch wide and about 20 inches long.

The rest is either wedged in there somewhere or fell out while driving. The front edge of the belt was running consistent and straight along the front edge of the super charger pulley

I called Kenne Bell and told them what I found. They said the belt is a 10 rib belt and should cover all of the ribs on the super charger pulley.

They said they would FEDEX overnight for a morning delivery a new belt. Great service.

Said it is about an hour to do the changeover.

Must have been a defective belt or they said perhaps the wrong belt may have been installed.

At any rate I am hopeful this will correct the problem. If not they said call back and THEY WOULD LEND ADDITIONAL ASSISTANCE.

THANK YOU KENNE BELL

Will try to get pictures and post later

So I would advise folks to check your Super Charger belt. Kenne Bell actually has a speed shop about 1 mile from me so they suggested I take the car there and have it looked over.

I have now experienced for the second time a squealing sound coming from the engine bay after running hard for 30 minutes or so.

I have not been able to isolate where it is coming from.

Anyone else experience this?

Any thoughts?

Yes the belts seem tight and I do not smell any unusual odors.

All the gauges seem to be consistant.

It is annoying and also troublesome as I can't figure what is going on.

Any thoughts here would be appreciated

Bill,

Congrats on your Snake!

It may be a belt that is squeeling; go to a Marine shop (like West Marine boat supply store) and buy CRC-656; a Marine silicone lubricant that is used on boat engines, hoses, every part can be sprayed liberally. I used this stuff on all of my boat engines to keep corrosion away and it does a super job; keeps them looking like brand new! Spray in on hoses, electrical components, aluminum parts, belts and pulleys, etc., let it sit over night and then go back and wipe off all of the residue that is left particularly on belts and pulleys as when they rotate the left over residue will fly up to the hood; just wipe it off if this happens. The silicones seep back into the hoses, etc., and keep them like new; most hoses today are made up of silicone based materials; very little rubber is used because it is expensive. I used this stuff on my 1980 Trans Am Indy 500 Pace Car since I bought it new, and it still has every original hose and they are still very pliable. Make sure you wipe the residue off all parts, especially is some gets sprayed on the exhaust. It is not flammable at the temps engines run at, but it will smoke a tad bit if left on the exhaust surfaces. :salute:

Jim

The inner 2 ribs of the belt had come off and the belt was falling apart.

New belt is on and it is running normal as before.

That's great to hear all is well. This forum is excellent for learning what I may encounter when I get my SS home.

Jim

Archived