TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007-2009 GT500 PRODUCTION NUMBERS

1 out of 1, 2009 Grabber Orange no stripe vert.

09_GT500_1_of_1.jpg

Thanks for posting, 1 of 1 is Awsome!!!

Did you order it that way or find it at a dealership?

Your car looks great.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for posting, 1 of 1 is Awsome!!!

Did you order it that way or find it at a dealership?

Your car looks great.

Bought it off the lot in Flat Rock MI. A guy had ordered it and backed out when it came to purchase. My good fortune that he did.

1 out of 1, 2009 Grabber Orange no stripe vert.

09_GT500_1_of_1.jpg

I didn't think verts came with over the top stripes unless they were part of the red stripe package. They all had rocker panel stripes unless they were specifically deleted.

I've been keeping a log since JAN 2007 and in 2 1/2 years I've only seen about 15-20 on the road.

I record the date, location and color combo.

You're a good man! I quit keeping gas purchases and mileage logs about 3-4 months in......

Good question! I'm not entirely sure if the 2008 and 2009 production numbers include the 1,746 KRs. I don't think so, because for example the Brilliant Silver color for the 08-09 KRs isn't included on either the '08 or '09 totals. And I think the red was Colorado Red vs. Torch Red. So I'm thinking the 1,746 are in addition.

Anyone else know for sure?

I have an '09 KR and it is definitely Torch Red. I'm very curious if the KRs are included in the GT500 totals. They come with the window sticker, in big bold print, saying "Not Legal For Sale", since they were shipped directly to SAI. I still don't understand why. From looking at the list of mods that SAI does to make it a KR, I don't see anything that would suddenly turn this car into being "legal".

:headscratch:

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't think verts came with over the top stripes unless they were part of the red stripe package. They all had rocker panel stripes unless they were specifically deleted.

Right, GT 500 Verts didn't come with the hood and trunk stripes. The "Delete" on the Vert means that there is no stripe down the door though. Mine is 1 of 22 Vapor Silver w/Red Seat inserts for 2008. Thanks for this info!

• 1 year later...

I have an '09 KR and it is definitely Torch Red. I'm very curious if the KRs are included in the GT500 totals. They come with the window sticker, in big bold print, saying "Not Legal For Sale", since they were shipped directly to SAI. I still don't understand why. From looking at the list of mods that SAI does to make it a KR, I don't see anything that would suddenly turn this car into being "legal".

:headscratch:

I believe it's because when the car left the Ford plant before shipping to Shelby, it was not yet finished in its federally certified configuration. After being completed by Shelby, it received the new additional window sticker, and was then legal for sale. Shelby altered an important, crash-tested part of the body (the hood), changed the final drive ratio, the anti-lock braking, and the tune. Those were all different from the specifications of the GT500 that Ford had certified.

I believe your car is oficially registered as a Shelby GT500KR, and not a Ford Mustang Shelby GT500. Someone here please correct me if I don't have that right.

I believe it's because when the car left the Ford plant before shipping to Shelby, it was not yet finished in its federally certified configuration. After being completed by Shelby, it received the new additional window sticker, and was then legal for sale. Shelby altered an important, crash-tested part of the body (the hood), changed the final drive ratio, the anti-lock braking, and the tune. Those were all different from the specifications of the GT500 that Ford had certified.

I believe your car is oficially registered as a Shelby GT500KR, and not a Ford Mustang Shelby GT500. Someone here please correct me if I don't have that right.

OldLugs.....you are spot on!

My GT500 is listed with Shelby as a "2009 Shelby GT500" The word Mustang appears nowhere...

Regarding the stripe issue--I had a kid (somewhere between 15 and 20) question me in a WalMart parking lot as to whether my car was a "real" GT 500 as "all" GT 500's had the twin stripes on them. My wife complimented me on setting him straight and keeping it to less than an hour lecture.

My certificate of origin (from Ford) list it as a "Shelby GT500". Mustang does not appear on it. When my local county court clerk put the word "Mustang" on the title, I hauled out the Certificate of Origin and made them change it back......

Also, while Alloy convertible are the fewest in number in the 07 line, I initially thought mine was one of one in that it had side scoops on it. Realize that I did not go shopping for a GT 500 and had focused ALL my research attention to Mustang GT's, Shelby GT's and GT-H's so I didn't know if side scoops were part of the GT 500 package or not. Even the sales staff at the purchasing dealer swore the car came off the trailer with the side scoops on it. The general manager of the dealer ship finally admitted, a couple of months after purchase, that when Ford revealed the car, he thought it ought to have side scoops, like his '67 GT 500 had. So, when it arrived, under cover, before the introduction, he secretly had side scoops added to the car. The only person at the dealership who actually saw the car w/o scoops was the body guy....... It's other unique characteristic is that it appeared in "several" dealership TV commercials in the Nashville market, thereby accumulating the 56 miles it had on it when I purchased it. Unfortunately no copies of those commercials remain today......

As far as "limited production" I don't mind there being 20k+ of them out there, if there were only 500, I'd never have gotten to own one. Besides, I can still count on both hands the total of GT 500's I've seen on the road since I bought mine on 8/28/08--not just local, but in vacation and business travels that have taken me coast to coast...... It still knocks their socks off at the gas station, rest area, drive in and WalMart!

BTW, mine is the 19th vert off the line and the 2nd in Alloy......

I am surprised that there are so few Alloy convertibles.

I have an '08 Alloy convertible with black/black interior. Mine has the rocker stripes. I was considering adding the hood/deck stripes, but now I am having second thoughts on that.

Thanks for the information. I saved a copy also

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Still like my 07 however due to my age and being a tad one sided I must admit I may be using blinders,. It seems the 07 is more like the traditional Shelby of the past and I think Ford did this to start the ball rolling in the right direction. I am not saying the 07 is in any way a true Shelby from the past but a darn good upgrade for the years past. The first year for the car was a lot of fun and I can remember ordering from spy films for the color etc. Also dealers were not always sure how many cars they would get to up went the prices and a waiting list was at most dealers. The Shelby handbook in the early 07s showed the horsepower at 465 which was of course changed to 500 in the later runs. The 07 - 09 are still my favorites. When I park my 07 beside a new gt 500 the new cars look like mine on steroids. Still like the boxy look rather than the rounded look. As far as mechanical issues go the older gt 500s are way outdated and if I were a young buck again I guess those extra ponies and tech upgrades would make me bite the bullet and consider my options. When the 07 came out it was to be a limited production car. Well here it is 2013 and they are still going. Hard to stop a good thing.Thank you for the production figures and one must remember that there is no way of knowing how many of these cars are still on the road after this many years. I do see a few newer gt 500s and they do look ready to rumble but I still like my 07.

Still like my 07 however due to my age and being a tad one sided I must admit I may be using blinders,. It seems the 07 is more like the traditional Shelby of the past and I think Ford did this to start the ball rolling in the right direction. I am not saying the 07 is in any way a true Shelby from the past but a darn good upgrade for the years past. The first year for the car was a lot of fun and I can remember ordering from spy films for the color etc. Also dealers were not always sure how many cars they would get to up went the prices and a waiting list was at most dealers. The Shelby handbook in the early 07s showed the horsepower at 465 which was of course changed to 500 in the later runs. The 07 - 09 are still my favorites. When I park my 07 beside a new gt 500 the new cars look like mine on steroids. Still like the boxy look rather than the rounded look.

I have to agree with you on this. I prefer the look of my 07. Any time I even thought of trading I just think that I don't care for the rounded-ness of the newer ones and the thought goes

away.

Thanks for posting that useful info. Since I bought my 08 Vista Blue convertible last spring, I've also been watching for other GT 500's. I actually saw one going east on the interstate as I was going west on my way home from the dealer after buying the car. I've since only seen two others on the road over the past three months. One sits at a business just a block from my house, and the other was a vista blue coupe parked at a residence in a nearby town. I know of a GT 500 convertible in the area, but haven't seen it for a year or so, and also know of two others that were purchased new and put into mothballs, not to be driven.

• 2 weeks later...

here is a question..... do these production numbers include Canadian cars? or is there another production listing for Canadian cars?

I believe this includes the Canadian cars as well, as these are all the GT500s produced at Flat Rock for each model year. However, I don't have the breakdown -- you'd have to go through each window sticker individually for that! (They're easy to spot -- they're the ones in English and French!)

• 1 month later...

Excellent information. Thanks

Okay, all...I thought I'd share my OCD with the rest of you! http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/hysterical.gif

Attached is a PDF file of an Excel spreadsheet (because the site won't let me update the Excel file) with the breakdowns, by both interior and stripe color, of the 2007-2009 GT500s. There's also a summary sheet for all 3 years combined.

Verdict?

17,669 coupes

5,320 convertibles

22,989 total 2007-2009 GT500 production

Also known as "limited," right? http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/banghead.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, all...I thought I'd share my OCD with the rest of you! :hysterical:

Attached is a PDF file of an Excel spreadsheet (because the site won't let me update the Excel file) with the breakdowns, by both interior and stripe color, of the 2007-2009 GT500s. There's also a summary sheet for all 3 years combined.

Verdict?

17,669 coupes

5,320 convertibles

22,989 total 2007-2009 GT500 production

Also known as "limited," right? :banghead:

Awesome info and PDF!! Thanks bud!!

• 10 months later...

Archived