TEAM SHELBY FORUM

vinyl stripe detailing problem

i have streaks possibly from when the car was waxed on the vinyl stripe. Ive tried cleaning with a 15 to 1 ratio of simple green and a tooth brush. need help thx mike c

I received this guidance from Griot's Garage on caring for the stripes. I hope it helps.

Thank you for your email about how to care for your over the top alloy racing stripes on your 2008 Shelby Mustang. I really don't have enough information as to what exactly it is that you plan on doing to your car and I am assuming that your racing stripes are alloy colored vinyl.

If you are claying, polishing or waxing your car, your main concern is that you want to work away from the stripes rather then into the edge of the stripes. This would apply whether you are using the orbital or working by hand. If you are using our orbital I would proceed at a slow speed, from the center of the stripe outward toward the edge, being careful to avoid the edge of the racing stripe. Whatever products you might use, I recommend that you do it by hand when you are working at or near the edge of these stripes. And work your applicator or polish cloths from the center outward if you go over the edge. Do not work toward the edge, from the painted surface to the edge and then onto the stripe.

I would use Paint Cleaning Clay and Speed Shine to clean your stripes and our Fine Hand Polish if you need to polish your stripes. Any of our waxes, either our Carnauba Wax Stick, or our Best of Show wax or our paint Sealant can be added for your protection.

I received this guidance from Griot's Garage on caring for the stripes. I hope it helps.

Thank you for your email about how to care for your over the top alloy racing stripes on your 2008 Shelby Mustang. I really don't have enough information as to what exactly it is that you plan on doing to your car and I am assuming that your racing stripes are alloy colored vinyl.

If you are claying, polishing or waxing your car, your main concern is that you want to work away from the stripes rather then into the edge of the stripes. This would apply whether you are using the orbital or working by hand. If you are using our orbital I would proceed at a slow speed, from the center of the stripe outward toward the edge, being careful to avoid the edge of the racing stripe. Whatever products you might use, I recommend that you do it by hand when you are working at or near the edge of these stripes. And work your applicator or polish cloths from the center outward if you go over the edge. Do not work toward the edge, from the painted surface to the edge and then onto the stripe.

I would use Paint Cleaning Clay and Speed Shine to clean your stripes and our Fine Hand Polish if you need to polish your stripes. Any of our waxes, either our Carnauba Wax Stick, or our Best of Show wax or our paint Sealant can be added for your protection.

thx

Failing that...I use the leather feed/wax that came with my Harley................works an absolute treat and lasts too.

I'VE HAD MY CAR ABOUT 2 YEARS NOW AND AFTER A LOT OF TRIAL AND ERROR I HANDLE THEM JUST LIKE I DO THE PERFORMANCE WHITE. YOU CAN CLAY THEM AND WAX OUT OR SEAL WATER SPOTS AND STREAKS. I USE EITHER 'MOTHERS' STUFF OR 'GROITS' AND HAVE EVEN USED AN ORBITAL ON THE CENTER STRIPE.

BOB

I'VE HAD MY CAR ABOUT 2 YEARS NOW AND AFTER A LOT OF TRIAL AND ERROR I HANDLE THEM JUST LIKE I DO THE PERFORMANCE WHITE. YOU CAN CLAY THEM AND WAX OUT OR SEAL WATER SPOTS AND STREAKS. I USE EITHER 'MOTHERS' STUFF OR 'GROITS' AND HAVE EVEN USED AN ORBITAL ON THE CENTER STRIPE.

BOB

it is not a waterspot, it looks like streaking from where it was buffed out.

Archived