TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mustang News

90GT

Just got my new Motor Trend today. In it they have a little blurb on the Bullitt and the Boss to be released in 07. The Bullitt will be Highland Green, have a grill with out fog lights or pony emblem, and a black out panel between the tail lights. No mention of a power increase so again we get a cosmetic package.

The Boss is the real special car but don't get your hopes up on getting one, because according to Motor Trend only 1000 will be made. Can you say ADM, sure you can!!! :banghead:

The car is supposed to get a 5.0L Hurricane V8 making around 425 - 435 hp, a stripped down interior with less sound deadening. The wheels are the same as on the GT500, they should have been a magnum 500 style.

The only plus is a slightly detuned version of the hurricane engine will carry over to the restyled Stang due out in 08.

Thanks Ford for producing another cool limited edition Stang which none of us have a shot in he.... of buying because the dealers will mark it up the wazoo!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Your comments contradict themselves, I think.

The Bullitt is due the first quarter of '08, NOT '07. Which means that if the detuned Hurricane engine is going into the '08 Stangs, then it will certainly appear in the Bullitt, too.

That's how Motor Trend had it in their article. Could be a misprint but the Boss has been rumored to appear in late 07.

My source within Ford tells me that the Bullitt starts production in December 2007 as a 2008.5 model. Dark Green with dark gray Bullitt 5-spoke wheels and no fog lights. Engine will be the 4.6L 3V V8 rated at 310hp - so it gets just a modest hp 10 bump over the standard GT (deja vu). Hurricane motor (the true "Boss" motor - not the 5.0L Boss crate motor on sale next year through the Ford parts departments) won't find its way into a production Mustang until the 2009 at the very earliest (likely as the Boss special edition Mustang).

My source within Ford tells me that the Bullitt starts production in December 2007 as a 2008.5 model. Dark Green with dark gray Bullitt 5-spoke wheels and no fog lights. Engine will be the 4.6L 3V V8 rated at 310hp - so it gets just a modest hp 10 bump over the standard GT (deja vu).

Everyone seems to have a "source within Ford" who tells a different story. My guess is that anyone on the inside who REALLY knows would be inclined to keep their mouth shut. Also, I'm not sure Ford can afford to release such an anemic special edition in '08, with all the competitive performance cars showing up over the next couple of years. Expecting Mustang enthusiasts to wait another 18 months for a paltry 10 horsepower is either dead wrong, or an incredibly stupid strategy on the part of the company. Not what I'd call a "Bold Move."

Frankly, I don't see how ONLY a 10 horsepower gain is even possible. A simple CAI and retune ALONE (like the FRPP one they're doing on the Shelby GT) nets a 25 horsepower gain by itself.

UNLESS Ford isn't planning to do a CAI or 93 octane tune on the Bullitt, and instead keep it running on 87.

Assuming a 5 to 8 percent underrating of Ford's V8s, then a 310 horse Bullitt would ACTUALLY put out at least 325 horses. If that 325 horses is still based upon the stock air box and 87 octane tune, then a standard CAI and 93 octane tune + exhaust ought to net the forthcoming Bullitt about 350 horsepower, assuming no complications with any new manifold design that prevents a CAI and reflash.

Another thing to keep in mind: We might be focusing too much on ultimate horsepower here. Ford's engineers could conceivably improve the Bullitt's torque rating, or adjust the low end or top end performance of the 4.6L 3V such that the engine performs significantly better than the engine in the regular GT, even if the horsepower increase is only 10 on paper.

I thought the Boss "hurricane" engine will be bigger than 5.0L's. Or is that just the F150 version.

The Hurricane V8 will displace 5.8L or 6.4L (maybe both sizes). The "Boss" crate motor next year is a 5.0L, and is not the same engine design as the Hurricane (renamed Boss?) that will be a real production car engine from the factory. It's going to be really common for people to confuse these two wildly different engines since they've both been referred to as "Boss."

Another thing to keep in mind: We might be focusing too much on ultimate horsepower here. Ford's engineers could conceivably improve the Bullitt's torque rating, or adjust the low end or top end performance of the 4.6L 3V such that the engine performs significantly better than the engine in the regular GT, even if the horsepower increase is only 10 on paper.

I think you're on to something here. Just like the 2001 Bullitt was rated at 265hp - just 5hp more than the standard 260hp GT - yet it managed to be a whopping .3 to .5 second quicker in the 1/4 mile! Ford engineers may be maximizing the area under the torque and hp curves and not necessarily focusing on the peaks values. Plus, give the car great understated looks that would make Det Frank Bullitt proud and handling that's better than the soft/heavy standard GT and you've got a car that slots well between the standard GT and the Shelby variants.

«truncated»

The Boss is the real special car but don't get your hopes up on getting one, because according to Motor Trend only 1000 will be made. Can you say ADM, sure you can!!!

The car is supposed to get a 5.0L Hurricane V8 making around 425 - 435 hp, a stripped down interior with less sound deadening. The wheels are the same as on the GT500, they should have been a magnum 500 style.

The only plus is a slightly detuned version of the hurricane engine will carry over to the restyled Stang due out in 08.

I hope Motor Trend is wrong.

JB

Archived